Author Topic: Everything you wanted to know about Sarah Palin....  (Read 46283 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Re: Everything you wanted to know about Sarah Palin....
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
Finding out about Alaska politics is interesting. Here's a column by a born and bred Alaskan woman.

ohn McCain came in 4th place during the Republican Primary. His disregard of the US Constitution trumps his service. The national media has said Sarah and McCain are both Mavericks. A maverick in Washington wouldn't have voted lock step with George Bush. To be a Maverick Republican in Alaska all you have to do is not be indicted or sitting in jail for selling your vote. For all the inexperience or judgment questions I have on Palin's policies, she's too good for him. You can put all the sugar on a turd pie that you want....John McCain will still be a turd pie.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »
Well, this is a short clip, but it really does make me think that Palin., however ambitious she might be, is accustomed to deferring to loud-mouthed men. There may be more to the Alaskan politics angle...

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 02:16:40 PM »
Statement by the US National Organization of Women re: Palin

Gov. Palin may be the second woman vice-presidential candidate on a major party ticket, but she is not the right woman. Sadly, she is a woman who opposes women's rights, just like John McCain.

Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

vmichel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 05:30:48 PM »
Tx for the link Berlynn. Interesting that she stated she would "choose life" if her daughter faced a pregnancy out of rape.

Her family is none of my business, but I would feel so much better about this whole Bristol thing if we knew that these decisions were Bristol's and not mom's.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 05:56:39 PM »
I'd feel less weird if the whole entire Palin/Bristol/choose life thing didn't come off as an elaborately orchestrated series of possible coincidences that seem easy enough to prove or disprove, but that instead boggle my formerly evangelical mind.

vmichel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
Brebis:  :D

Catchfire

• View Profile
    • http://blindmanwithapistol.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
I agree with everything that has been said about Sarah Palin so far. But for some reason, the fact that she is Republican is giving Macho democrat partisan 'wits' free reign to unleash their latent misogyny. On the 'Daily Show', in an otherwise decent segment, Jon Stewart (after eroticizing Palin with comparisons to various female celebrities and a sexy librarian) mocked her high-pitched voice in a clip Palin was vowing to smash the 'glass ceiling'. And fucking Bill Maher (from Impolitical) ridiculed her for being a 'hockey mom' (classist and sexist?) called her a 'stewardess' and then, unbelievably, a 'MILF'. If he had said the whole acronym, he would have been booted off television (again).

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
And anti-northernist! What on earth is wrong with being a hockey mom? (or mum).

Though alas hereabouts the poorest dads and mums have less chance to get their kids playing hockey - far from the times of the "Greats" with bad teeth and poor educations, when it was a way out for proletarian and farm kids, it seems to take a modicum of $$$ nowadays. :( The main arena in my neighbourhood has been closed for quite a while now, awaiting repairs.

As for the dowdy hairdo, I'm sure they'll have her "relooked". But not too much, as she has to appeal to rural areas suspicious of urban culture.

The problem is not that she hunts moose or caribou; the problem is that she wants to destroy the Alaskan flora and fauna for a quick buck, and enslave women.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »
Bill Maher, yuck.

But, Catchfire, her supporters are calling her a 'milf' (and I hadda ask what that meant). I'm horribly conflicted over this. She was nominated out of sheer tokenism. Just because she is a woman. So, as a token woman, her looks do matter (if she were plain, would she have been nominated?), her parenting/family does matter (if she were a Condi-like familyless career woman, would she have been nominated?), all her womanly ways matter. And isn't it a gorgeous Rovian coup that when her opponents say so, there's the misogynist gotcha?

It's fucking fiendish.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 09:02:52 PM »
Witty and politically brave as he can be in many ways, Maher can also be the most disgusting misogynist around, so there's that.

But Palin calls herself a "hockey mom," and the MILF thing comes from her supporters.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 10:49:51 PM »
From Mother Jones:
.... Second, imagine if any thing of this sort had happened on the Democratic side. Wouldn't social conservatives be expressing frothy outrage? Or at least implying outrage? I'm reminded of how Newt Gingrich used to try to exploit whatever was in the news to depict the Democrats as the party of family and societal dysfunction. During the 1992 convention, he said, "Woody Allen having nonincest with a nondaughter to whom he was a nonfather because they were a nonfamily fits the Democratic platform perfectly." ....

An out-of-wedlock birth ain't murder; still, it does not take much imagination to conceive how right-wingers would use such a family matter should it happen to a Democrat.

Third, bloggers and webbies will, no doubt, continue to pursue the original rumor. Fine. But they ought not dump unproved allegations onto the Internet. There is a place for decency on the Internet--even if the overall mission is aimed at undoing the work of an administration that misled the nation into war. ....

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 01:29:39 AM »
A couple of articles I tried to post the other night:

Palin and Feminists For Life

Palin and the bridge project
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Catchfire

• View Profile
    • http://blindmanwithapistol.wordpress.com
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 05:55:24 AM »
Fiendish is absolutely the right word. But I don't think they're tricking liberal pundits like Maher into showing their misogyny, if anything, it shows what these elite frat boys were really thinking and feeling all along, with the Clinton campaign for example, and they now believe they have license to let it all out because this woman also happens to be a republican. To me, it shows what they have in common with the republicans, not that they've fallen for a 'gotcha' trick.

And yes, Palin calls herself a 'hockey mom', but she uses it as a term of pride, and Maher is clearly dismissive and derisory. Like, how could a mom be VP? (As someone pointed out elsewhere, of the four candidates, she is the only one with any executive political experience.) He used 'stewardess' in the same way. And as for 'MILF', I don't care who uses it. It's one of the most disgusting things you can say about a female politician. And Democrats, even 'political comedians' should know better.

That said, she's a demon of a candidate. Tokenistic, offensive and dangerous.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 06:10:49 AM »
I agree Catchfire. MILF is a terribly derogatory term and that her supporters use it says much about how the GOP sees women.

And though this
That said, she's a demon of a candidate. Tokenistic, offensive and dangerous.
is bang on Canadian progressives and American progressives alike need to recognize that some forms of "reaction" should just be off the table as a given.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 06:49:30 AM »
You're right, Debra. I wish these progressives would be smart enough to realise that not only is a choice like Palin a huge ploy to bring in the evangelical, anti-abortion vote (which was otherwise very lukewarm at best to McCain), their frat-boy or elitist commentary only shores up that support even more. AND shows them up as being a kind of sexist that is no nicer than the evangelical and other right-wing variant.

And to recognise that this is proving to be a great diversionary tactic, as usual. I have been diverted myself, but on the other hand I do recognise this as the ploy I described above, therefore not inconsequential in terms of a segment of the popular vote.

I am dismayed that as soon as the Republicans made their first choice of a woman on their ballot, pregnancy and babies have been the focus of the campaign. Women in politics shouldn't have to be genderless and sexless, but this is ridiculous.

Return To TAT