Author Topic: Progressive Bloggers  (Read 13652 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Progressive Bloggers
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:34:02 PM »
Twice in the last three days, BP has had stories ahead of other bloggers. Neither made it to ProgBlogs. The first one about Britstol Palin's pregnancy must have been among the first in the blogosphere (I admit, I don't understand how this works). From Google alone, it got waaaay more hits than usual. I just looked: more than 500 views.

Today's post about the BC Supreme Court upholding the bubble zone has 13 views as of now.

Ego. Yeah, whatever. This is our beat. Other bloggers come a day late and . . . .

I'm pissed off. Fix the fucking aggregator, boyos.

deBeauxOs

Re: Progressive Bloggers Is Fucked Up
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure that if it affected someone the boyos think is important, like Cherniak, the broken feed would be fixed immédiatement.

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:00:43 PM »
Tribe sent the following via the PB Facebook group:

Scott Tribe sent a message to the members of Progressive Bloggers.

--------------------
Subject: Feed problems for some blogs.

Hello all: I've had a few of you write me in email asking about the fact that some of your blogposts have not been getting on the site aggregator as soon as they should.. and some blogs are missing at times several days of blogposts.

Since a fair # of the affiliates are on this FB group..and since the announcements site at Prog isnt always notices or read by everyone,  I thought I'd just send a general message to all about what is going on.

To  summarize...our server we are currently on has been finicky with letting our site's feed reader read certain blogfeeds , and I cant do much  about it (short of manual forcing a feed read from time to time and hope it picks missing feeds up) .

Before, that didnt seem to matter,  as we had our site set up to basically do unlimited scanning of sites for new feeds, so that normally caught everything. However, we have recently  had spamming complaints crop up from server hosts of some of our affiliate blogs who are complaining we are sending far too many pings and so on at their site - we appear to them like we are initiating a Denial of Service attack, when we do too many checks each half hour.

Because of that my new volunteeer coders Kelly and JF have  set the site to check twice every half hour, but this has  inevitably led to some feeds that the server mangles  getting  missed from time to time.. and sometimes they'll get picked up on the next run, while other times it make take a few days for them to read certain feeds from certain sites (and its random).

It's just the way the server we are on is handling the URL feeds... and its crappy.. but I'm really handcuffed at doing much to fix it, since it's not really fixable.

We're going to all have to put up with it until Kelly (of 1337Hax0r.com)  gets moved from Calgary to Toronto and gets time to work on the new  Prog Blog site, get it working, and put it up on his server. He has told me he will try to work on the problem this weekend, and he may as a stopgap measure try to up the number of times our site checks for new feeds without some of the blog's server hosts crying the alarm over excessive ping traffic from us.

I can continue at times to do manual forced feeds when i'm around, but it's not a guarantee of picking up an errant feed. Until then, we're all going to have to live with it until new Prog Blog gets put up on a new server (Kelly's - and he assures me these problems will go away once that happens).

I wish i had a more positive answer to this now, but I'm just telling you how it is.  I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience in this frustrating matter.

Scott
--------------------
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »
One of those emails was from me. Scott, you have not answered your Auntie skdadl. And I'll bet you haven't eaten your vegetables, either.  

I have some ... some ... sympathy for people coping with system messes, especially given the kinds of lives many of us live. And I don't entirely follow Scott's narrative of the problem, why it's happening to some but not others. skdadl's heat hurt reading those paragraphs.

But it really is not fair.  PB, after all, is benefiting from the presence of a number of blogs on its affiliates list who themselves do not have the benefits of PB. I mean, it's just like that, and until that is fixed, it's fair to keep repeating the complaint.

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
Techno-Dolt does not understand the explanation either. But Birth Pangs is not getting picked up AT ALL. And Debra's not blogging now because of computer melt-down but April Reign wasn't getting picked up AT ALL.

It is very fucking frustrating. I'm busy at the moment but with Palin news breaking I've thought 'ooh I should get on that' and then I think 'fuck it, nobody's* gonna read it, why bother?'

*ETA: Except loyal BP readers, of course. But most of those are BnRers and I could talk to them here.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 06:32:19 PM »
For sure I'm not visiting Progressive Bloggers; why bother, I can click on the links at Bread'n'Roses to read my favourite bloggers and others, like The Vanity Press and Impolitical - I've bookmarked.

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 06:48:18 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
and then I think 'fuck it, nobody's* gonna read it, why bother?'
You're forgetting those of us who use feed readers. I subscribe to BP's feed and typically know about new posts there before ProgBloggers does.

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 06:50:34 PM »
The explanation in a nutshell is basically this:

1. In order to get blog headlines, they have to read an RSS feed, which is just a file containing a summary of what's on the blog at that time.  

2. RSS feed files are stored on the server that the blog is stored on, usually.

3. Thus, they must contact that server in order to get an RSS feed.  And they must do this with some regularity to keep it up to date.

4. It happens that many blogs are stored on the same provider's network of servers.  (eg blogspot.com)

5. Providers are always wary of spam and hacking.

6. Many requests frequently from the same source are considered by providers to be a sign of Foul Play.

7. If many eg blogspot.com blogs are on PB, then the PB server must request RSS feed files from blogspot.com's network many times, once for each blog, and once for each time it refreshes.

8. Some providers do not like this, consider it automatically to be Foul Play (the decisions are made by a computer) and cut PB off from access.

9.  Then PB can't update them.

You correctly note that this does not explain why BP and AR are not carried.  But there was a period when they would not carry Politblogo due to a bug in their feed reader, rendering it incompatible with typepad blogs that were set up like mine was.

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »
Thank you, pogge and Mandos. Techno-Dolt is willing to learn.

Do we know what other blogs are not making it? (And just as an aside, we do know that when Birth Pangs was accepted, the boyos made a point of saying that the decision was not unanimous. :tinfoil:)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 08:13:12 PM »
About the "why bother" angle: Well, there are other reasons to go to PB than simply to vote for oneself, or at least I've always thought so. Fairly often I see new blogs I'd never noticed before doing things I think are worth helping along -- I mean, it's a kind of co-op, and it won't work if people aren't thinking that way, even when we run into glitches like this.

We can and should complain on behalf of those who are being short-sheeted at the moment, but our complaints have a lot more weight if other PBers know us as good citizens, and that does mean scanning through whenever you can and voting for people who are doing good stuff, whoever they are.

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 08:24:34 PM »
The voting part is not central to me. (I do, of course, vote for pals and good stuff in general.) I'm talking about the exposure. BP gets a lot of hits from PB.  We get way more from google, but still.

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:31:13 PM »
I like ProgBlogs, particularly as a newbie to the blogging scene. (At what point can I claim veteran status? Four more months to da blog's 1st year anniversary!)

There's lots of good blogs at PB and hooking up with others is helping me widen our network. PB has been helpful - of course, so has BnR! - in giving my blog a jumpstart. Don't think the blog would have the readership it does now had it not been for PB.

Re the recent problems, I've been experiencing them also. One thing I've noticed... If I publish a post a few minutes before the hour, it's more likely to show up at PB shortly after the hour. Don't know why. Maybe it's a Blogger thingie.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 10:54:53 AM »
That's all fine, but I still want to exercise my right to absent myself from ProgBlogs until the feed gets fixed.  And what's with the inequality around the quantity of text that appears at PB?  Some affiliates get over 100 words on display while other blogs barely show 50.  :?

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
And what's with the inequality around the quantity of text that appears at PB?  Some affiliates get over 100 words on display while other blogs barely show 50.  :?
I imagine there's an upper limit set by PB but below that you're probably in control of that in Wordpress. We control it in Movable Type.

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »
That may also be a function of the blog itself. In Blogger, there's the option re RSS feed for the summary to be short or full:

Select Full to syndicate the full content of your post. Select Short if you only wish to syndicate the first paragraph, or approximately 255 characters, whichever is shorter.
Perhaps PB is merely picking up what the feed delivers.

Return To TAT