Author Topic: Canadian Federal Election Coverage  (Read 34896 times)

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
Re: Canadian Federal Election Coverage
« Reply #405 on: December 04, 2008, 08:00:11 AM »
Quote from: Berlynn
So, pogge, whaddaya figger?  Is the window open widely enough?

Based on everything I've read since then, the rule of thumb is that a government needs to sit for six months and pass a budget before dissolution becomes an automatic decision for the GG. This government has been in action for seven weeks and hasn't passed a fiscal update, never mind a budget.

Things are murkier when it comes to prorogation but it's never been used by a PM to avoid facing a confidence vote. It would be unprecedented for the GG to allow it to be used that way here and she would have the option to send Harper back to the Commons for a confidence vote before allowing it. I hope that's the option she chooses.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 04, 2008, 08:25:08 AM »
On the never ending topic of sexism, some streeter just said he thought Michaëlle Jean might be able to deal with the crisis, and that she wasn't EXACTLY an airhead...  :roll:
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #407 on: December 04, 2008, 09:02:18 AM »
Well, that could be anglo ironic slang, though -- depends on how it's said.

F'rinstance, I might well say sometime that pogge is not exactly a technodolt, and the implication would be that he is in fact pretty expert.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 04, 2008, 09:22:04 AM »
One can do that in French as well, but no, that was not how it was said. That is why I put exactly in caps.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 04, 2008, 09:24:18 AM »
Well, yes -- it's one of those locutions that depends a lot on delivery.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 11, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »
IF there is an election this fall (please no, it's not the right time) and if Harper wins a majority, does that fucking mean we have another 4 years of him? Unless some sort of smart build coalition brings him down during that time? I ask because I am stupid about this stuff and also because Iggy is never going to be PM of Canada, never was. He's already blown it.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 11, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
If Harper (or anyone) gets a majority, I think we have him for five years, or whenever, at his whim. No one has ruled on the constitutionality of Harper's four-year law, which Harper himself violated, and I'm sure he wouldn't obey it himself if he didn't have to.

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #412 on: September 11, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »
If they go according to the fixed date election law, it's the third Monday in October, in the fourth calendar year after the previous poll.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 11, 2009, 08:43:43 PM »
There may be some progressive folks in the Lib caucus although offhand I can't think of any - versus the full complement of neanderthals in the Con ranks. The best outcome for me would be at least a doubling of NDP seats in order to hold the bastards - whether Libs or Cons - to a minority with the NDP and BQ holding a much stronger balance of power than at present.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 12, 2009, 01:48:54 AM »
Well if Iggy doesn't come out strong about the suffering of the workers, the unemployed, the middle class, he's sunk. If there is no change around from his words about HIM instead of about US, I don't hold any hope of any party gaining more seats. Layton is going on against Iggy for a dam good reason.

eta - before I say nitey nite, I came across this wee article.
http://diary.davidclimenhaga.ca/2009/09 ... xpect.html

Who the guy is I have no idea, but I liked this:

Why would the NDP bring down the government to suit Mr. Ignatieff when he broke the coalition deal they had with his predecessor? They owe him nothing, except maybe a kick in the pants!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 12, 2009, 07:50:43 AM »
I always figure I'm so out of touch that I can't possibly gauge these things. I don't know whether this is the time to go or not. To me, on principle, it is wrong to prop up Harper. But handing him a majority would be a disaster.

I hate electoral politics. I don't consider them real politics at all.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #416 on: September 12, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »
It seems to me that the only way Harpie will get his precious Majority is if no one but the Con core show up to vote.  And really, given the feelings of the electorate right now, I don't think so.

I wish I could be the director of the NDP campaign...
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Return To TAT