Author Topic: Politics as suicide  (Read 4456 times)

RP.

• View Profile
Re: Politics as suicide
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »
It's the children's hospital for all of the Maritimes.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »
I really, really dislike the nature of those stories of "candidates let go because of their weird pasts". I know of at least 3 women, all of whom have been asked to run by the NDP in the past and turned them down, who are all the more resolved not to ever run, even as a paper candidate in a low resource riding, because there's something in the past that could be used against them. I think this kind of coverage hurts democracy to be frank.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »
I agree, kuri. Famous open secret about Mario Cuomo, former governor of New York. He was a dynamic politician, great speaker, Democrat, but could not run for Pres. Because he was Italian and all Italians of his era had some connection with the Mafia. A brother, an uncle, a former room-mate, you get the idea. It was okay for a governor (well, back then), but too risky for a presidential candidate. There was a potentially pretty good president lost there.

And of course we all have skeletons of one sort or another.

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »
i, personally, have had to get a bigger closet to accomodate my growing cast of skeletons.  but it wouldn't even be my skeletons; political sucide would come when, in answer to the inevitable "have you smoked pot" question, i replied "swing by later and we'll roll a fatty"

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
"Err... if you mean, have I smoked pot today -- well no, not yet..."

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 05:58:34 PM »
hey, i'm a maverick.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 06:34:28 PM »
:lol:

I know what you mean, kuri. It's a different order of significance, maybe, but I was just wondering this morning about Eliot Spitzer. There is a lot -- really a lot -- of evidence that Spitzer was on the trail of some of the financial biggies, precisely the stuff that's breaking right now. Then the FBI made the little phone call to him, suggesting he spend the weekend back home chatting with family, the very day before he was going to testify about some of the financial stuff to Congress. And then after that they held the threat of charges (transporting across state lines, etc) over his head so that he really would quit and vanish from public life.

We have quite a good Spitzer thread somewhere. It's worth a think. Really, the guy didn't do anything that I consider criminal, but it looks to me as though somebody got to him.

alisea

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsea/
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 10:39:28 PM »
Rosaond Luke
Do not meddle with the Forces of Nature, for you are small, insignificant, and biodegradable.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 12:31:06 AM »
Quote from: sparqui
Oh my, here's the latest:

Dion sacks Winnipeg candidate over 9/11 beliefs

I am personally totally disgusted with Dion over this! We all know what we have read over the years, and her 'dubious' belief in the 'sanctified' b.s. given to us is believed by most of 'nobody'. So why was she given the boot? Sorry but this is total b.s. I am totally disgusted with the Liberals in her perfectly questioning mode about 911.

http://members.shaw.ca/mclachla/page3.htm

The Liberals can go hang themsleves. fucking assholes.

eta - Rosamund Luke - gorgeous lady.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 01:40:45 AM »
Yeah, my past would certainly preclude any future in politics, at least beyond the school board level.  That and I don't like (many) people and can never remember anybody's name.  Oh, and I like my family.

There is a particular set of pictures that would sink me for sure.  I wonder where they are...
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 01:48:45 AM »
Exactly why she needs protection.  Would any of us be such dubious candidates>?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »
Wouldn't ya think a criminal past would show just how ideally suited for the job of politician the candidate is?

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »
JUMP!

Conservative candidate calls refugees “criminals and terrorists”

What Stephen Harper doesn’t want you to know about Alice Wong

RICHMOND – During Stephen Harper’s secret “press conference” in Richmond BC, local candidate Alice Wong was not permitted to answer any questions from the press.

Now we know why…

In a statement titled “The Reason Why I am in Politics”, Richmond Conservative candidate Alice Wong makes a shocking series of offensive statements equating refugees with criminals and terrorists, claiming that gambling is promoted to increase both sexual promiscuity and multiple sexual behaviours, and attacking a women’s right to choose.

Translated excerpts from ‘The Reason Why I am in Politics” by Alice Wong, Chinese Christian Herald Monthly, June 2004:

“… the refugee program is intended for humanitarian reasons, is now a warm bed by criminals and terrorists.”

“…gambling can cause one to lost their life savings, and it is promoted for increasing revenue, promiscuous sexual behavior, multiple sexual behaviors and one night stands are causes of STDs, and is promoted in the name of freedom…”

“…abortions causes bodily harm, and is promoted as a right of woman, anyway it want…”

“…I felt I have a calling from heaven, and by faith, I entered the dark complicated world of politics.”

Original Chinese article and English Translation Attached
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT