Author Topic: Mission: Harpoon Harper  (Read 12282 times)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Re: Mission: Harpoon Harper
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 10:04:26 PM »
Just heard on CBC radio news a handpicked Conservative candidate has dropped out; turns out she has two criminal convictions. Rosamond Luke.

ETA Link
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »
Ha, she's executive director of All Women's Empowerment and Development Association and says she was called back to work by them.  AWEDA got money from the fed govt, announced in June:  "...from the Women's Community Fund of the Women's Program of Status of Women Canada..."

http://www.swc-cfc.gc.ca/newsroom/news2008/0627_e.html

ETA: Apparently she founded the NGO:
http://www.citizensforhalifax.ca/en/home/aboutus/board/rosamondluke.aspx

ETA again: I can't find much more about AWEDA by googling; I wonder if she is AWEDA by herself, or if it is an active group that is doing something useful.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 10:37:57 PM »
Quote from: Berlynn
ODAN has good info, but this is the best I've found so far.

I've already linked to and excerpted from this detailed 2006 Church & State article by Rob Boston, but for a quick (hyperbole-free) summation of OD, this passage from a Terry Eagleton book review, first published in Harper's Magazine (I miss having a subscription--there were some killer articles published in '06), is on point:

Sociologically speaking, the phenomenon of Opus Dei is not hard to understand. In its original Spanish context, it represented an attempt to harness certain traditional Spanish values--honor, discipline, hierarchy, austerity, and the like--to the project of modernizing a backward national capitalism. For all its talk of inner spirituality, it was, and to a great extent still is, an authoritarian and semi-clandestine enterprise that manages to infiltrate its indoctrinated technocrats, politicos, and administrators into the highest levels of the state.

(The Eagleton essay is, alas, not online.  Those who have database access (eg, GALE) can easily find it. Source citation: Eagleton, Terry. "The fraternal corrections: Opus Dei and the Catholic Church.(Opus Dei: An Objective Look Behind the Myths and Reality of the Most Controversial Force in the Catholic Church)(Book review)." Harper's Magazine 312.1871 (April 2006): 85(5). )
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 10:43:18 PM »
This is a good quote from the CBC article:
Charbonneau Barron is entitled to her opinion like all other candidates, said Opus Dei spokeswoman Isabelle St. Maurice.

"When people [get to] know her, they will vote or not for her, thinking maybe she will bring [her beliefs], or she will try to bring something," to politics, she said. .... Opus Dei is not discouraging Charbonneau Barron from speaking about her faith, she added.

"What I heard is the Conservative Party is quite like this," she said.
The emphasis is mine.

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 12:02:43 AM »
It wouldn't be the Canuckosphere without some teeth-itchingly earnest concern trollery from one of the "pwogwessive" boyz:

Foul Ball, Gilles.
Gilles Duceppe has decided to attack a Tory candidate based on her religious affiliations.

I'm no Opus Dei member - but religious beliefs should be absolutely, 100% off-limits in the realm of public debate.

I don't care if this woman is Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, a Rastafarian, Scientologist, Mormon, Evangelical or Wiccan. A candidate's faith - or lack thereof - is an issue between them and their God(s/dess/desses). There is absolutely no place for this in any election, and Duceppe owes the candidate, and all Canadians of ALL faiths, an apology.

If you want to talk about her public comments on a given issue, that's fine. But to say that "she belongs to this religious group, they believe this, and we think that's wrong" is gutter politics of the worst kind.

The irony of Duceppe's foul ball? Quebec is 83.2% Catholic. Many of course are Lapse [sic] Catholics, but the majority would still be mass-attending Catholics - including many BQ candidates, one would have to guess. I don't know how up-to-date Gilles is on the teaching of the Catholic Church, but the new Pope, and therefore the Church, isn't exactly a big fan of the 2 issues Gilles cited - abortion, and same-sex marriage.

How many of his own candidates did Duceppe just condemn for their own, private religious beliefs? How many Quebecois did Duceppe just insult in the most personal of ways? Tune in on October 14th to find out.

Yep. Quebec.  

That contemporary hot-bed of resurgent Catholic fervor and pro-life/anti-SSM sentiment.  

*cough*
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 12:12:04 AM »
Mattt, you slipped in (oh no not again  :oops: )

Yeah, I noticed that at PB too. These dominionists who want to meld their world views with government policy are not exactly the nice gentleman down the street who happens to be an elder at the Presbyterian church but finds discussing his religion and politics to be a wholly private matter. That's what too many people don't get. They are bigoted enough to buy into "radicalized Islam" and how all Muslims are on a mission to take over Christendom. But their own backyard Taliban are just harmless citizens exercising their religious freedoms in a very friendly, law abiding way. I hope they never have to learn first hand how dangerous these radical Christian groups are.

Quote from: Holly Stick
Ha, she's executive director of All Women's Empowerment and Development Association and says she was called back to work by them.  AWEDA got money from the fed govt, announced in June:  "...from the Women's Community Fund of the Women's Program of Status of Women Canada..."

http://www.swc-cfc.gc.ca/newsroom/news2008/0627_e.html

ETA: Apparently she founded the NGO:
[url]http://or/url]

ETA again: I can't find much more about AWEDA by googling; I wonder if she is AWEDA by herself, or if it is an active group that is doing something useful.

So does that mean she resigned from AWEDA to run as a candidate? If not, wouldn't there be a conflict of interest with her receiving federal money? I too wonder what AWEDA is really about and whether they even existed prior to SWC changing it mandate and funding program eligibility terms. Here is how she describes herself/her work: an active “philanthropreneur” who believes in contributing to the community through the development of social enterprises.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 12:27:38 AM »
Can you check the corporations branch of the municipal, provincial or federal government to see when the organization was registered?  Didn't seawalker or someone say that orgs that receive $$ from SWC now need to be registered?

Smells funny to me!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 05:57:23 AM »
Actually, Mass-attendance is very low here among "old-stock" Québécois - for most people, there is a cultural attachment to the Church, and hey, they still do the best weddings and funerals! If you haven't attended a funeral with full-out pomp at Notre-Dame de Montréal, you haven't LIVED! :mrgreen: (Me, the funeral of historic labour leader Marcel Pepin)...

But as friends have pointed out here and at the Enlightened (?) Savage, Opus Dei membership has little to do with generic Catholicism. Sure, the fact that the Church is such a centralised hierarchy does mean the relationship is somewhat different in formal terms from that between a nutcase gay-hating wacko and a normal Protestant, a Betar or JDL supporter and a normal Jew or an Al Qaida supporter and a normal Muslim, but it remains a cultish and fascistic phenomenon. Religious fundamentalism is not just a matter of faith, even devout faith; it uses faith as a weapon for specific aims. In this case, turning the clock back to la Grande Noirceur.

As for Catholics, Opus Dei has had a hand in setting up vicious military dictatorships in Latin America which have certainly not had any qualms about torturing, murdering and "disappearing" countless nominal and practising Catholics, including many priests and nuns.  :cry:
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
... As for Catholics, Opus Dei has had a hand in setting up vicious military dictatorships in Latin America which have certainly not had any qualms about torturing, murdering and "disappearing" countless nominal and practising Catholics, including many priests and nuns.
No doubt Opus Dei members downplay this sin, if they consider it such, by justifying it as cleansing the RCC of the radical, liberation theology-spouting heretics.  :evil:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »
The wheels are coming off the Con bus:

Dona Cadman Verifies Authenticity of Zytaruk Tape/Far and Wide

If Liberal MP Paul Zed is correct, the Federal Liberal Carbon Tax will exclude oil refineries/nbcdipper

And of course Sparrow is only suspended, not fired....this is getting really interesting.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
The wheels are coming off the Con bus:

Dona Cadman Verifies Authenticity of Zytaruk Tape/Far and Wide

If Liberal MP Paul Zed is correct, the Federal Liberal Carbon Tax will exclude oil refineries/nbcdipper

And of course Sparrow is only suspended, not fired....this is getting really interesting.

crogh went to school with Paul Zed, even if he knew Mike, his brother, better. (Mike is now a dentist and always was an amazing drinker).

Sounds like Paul, like all Maritime politicians, is a good puppy for Mr. Irving and his (still growing) empire.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

alisea

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsea/
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 08:03:59 AM »
Local rumour, however, has it that after a messy marriage break-up with his ex-wife, an Irving, the Family is no longer behind him. Many people expected he would lose in '06 as a result, but he hung onto the seat despite all.

I know the Halifax Zeds slightly - kids have been in the same schools/sports. Canada is so small.
Do not meddle with the Forces of Nature, for you are small, insignificant, and biodegradable.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 08:08:41 AM »
Isn't Zed the guy who made the funny comments about the Con operative in the squirrel suit? Fifi in Paris in Digby?

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 09:44:34 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Isn't Zed the guy who made the funny comments about the Con operative in the squirrel suit? Fifi in Paris in Digby?

That MP deserves the award for funniest politician out there. Not too many have been able to pull off one liners that well.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »
In the meantime, Harper gains ground:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/stor ... -poll.html

Return To TAT