Author Topic: Who cares that E. May is excluded from the leaders' debate?  (Read 11153 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Who cares that E. May is excluded from the leaders' debate?
« on: September 09, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »
Not me.

She doesn't have an elected member. If that's the rule, then she doesn't make it.

And no way is it because she's a woman. If a male Green leader tried this stunt, the result would be the same.

Besides, I don't like her and her nuances and her whining.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Who cares that E. May is excluded from the leaders' debate?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »
I've already made my position on this topic too public, and I honestly don't mean to be beating up on people who like Lizzie May.

But really. The rest of us have been watching -- quietly, but aghast -- as the first two days of the election campaign are taken up by May, which seems to me one obvious way to hand the whole thing over to Harper. It's like watching the Merkins obsess about Sarah Palin.

May's limelight-hogging is such a horrible, horrible tactical mistake for the rest of us, although so typical of her.

As I wrote elsewhere, if May and Dion were serious about what they were doing, they would not have conspired in Central Nova against the one candidate who had a serious chance to unseat Peter MacKay. That was Alexis MacDonald, who had come very close TWICE before, all on her own, and what they did to her was simply wicked to anyone who really believes that we want Harper out of the PMO.

The NDP's position on May is principled. She has made it clear that she favours one of the other party leaders for PM. Therefore, why should she be included in the debates?

The main effect of this mess is to make Dion look even more befuddled than he did before. He may be a nice man, but he is not a very good politician.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »
I don't like her either but it's ridiculous that a party hovering around 9% in the polls is excluded. Besides, excluding her played right into Harper's hands - minilibs will have a reason to vote for her now or else will abstain from voting entirely.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:37:25 PM »
Not me either.

Its election time, and sorry, but if you're not on the playoff roster, you don't get to play.  And Elizabeth May has acted like a late season farm team call up for the Liberals so that's how it goes.

Many other parties are on the ballot and they don't get to appear on the TV debates either.

Suppose one of those parties, say the Christian Heritage Party, acquired a disgruntled CPC or LPC fetish fetisher MP, maybe one that had announced they weren't going to seek re-election.  Should that leader get the opportunity to spout off about one issue, say abortion, on national TV?  If the Greens are allowed, by virtue of having one dodgy MP never elected as a Green, to participate then every other party that has never elected a Member of Parliament should be entitled to participate.

It probably doesn't help that I heard a replay of a radio interview she did yesterday going on and on that she was being excluded because she is female.  Then she had the nerve to call the young, male interviewer dear.

transplant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »
Quote from: Alison@Creekside
I don't like her either but it's ridiculous that a party hovering around 9% in the polls is excluded.

Exactly. I don't much care for May, her tactcs or the party, but shutting out a party that draws that much support is antidemocratic, period. Besides, the much touted "rules" are set by the broadcasters, not Parliament.
Hope has met reality

scott

• View Profile
    • http://watertalk.org
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 04:45:07 PM »
I am disgusted at the actions of the major parties in denying May a spot in the debates. I see it as tossing your supposed principles away and as undemocratic self serving manoeuvring. It's dumb too. There are a considerable number of soft Greens who usually shift to the NDP at election times because they want their vote to count. These are the people who would have been really interested in hearing Layton debate May directly. Now they have been denied that chance by the Cons, the Bloc  and the NDP. I think that you can kiss this sector of the vote goodbye now.   :roll:

The exclusion of May from the debates has been to top story on almost every newscast since the announcement here in BC, and the phone in callers have been almost universally in favour of Mays inclusion.
One struggle, many fronts.

Alison

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 04:48:26 PM »
Suppose one of those parties, say the Christian Heritage Party, acquired a disgruntled CPC or LPC fetish fetisher MP, maybe one that had announced they weren't going to seek re-election. Should that leader get the opportunity to spout off about one issue, say abortion, on national TV?

Bring it!

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 04:51:58 PM »
For k'in and Alison: Let Them All Debate  :twisted:

If ProgBlogs wasn't fucked up . . . I'd be rich or famous or something.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 04:56:03 PM »
Elizabeth May is a gimmick. Elizabeth May is an American gimmick. She isn't quite as bad as Sarah Palin; she is a pallid Canadian version of Sarah Palin.

But she is a Disneyfied gimmick none the less, all tricked out for a generation brought up on continentalized infotainment. She will say and do almost anything to get attention; she is a self-absorbed narcissist who doesn't care how much she destroys in her quest for the limelight. She is our modern culture at its worst, I think.

Just my $0.02, o' course.

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 05:10:18 PM »
Quote from: scott
I am disgusted at the actions of the major parties in denying May a spot in the debates.

They have not done this.  The media consortium has.  Anyone who uses the line you've said there is either playing or being played.

I don't see why the Greens are upset, they're getting more attention now than ever, and that's what they're all about isn't it?

scott

• View Profile
    • http://watertalk.org
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
She doesn't have an elected member. If that's the rule, then she doesn't make it.

It's not. The broadcast consortium wanted here in. The Cons, Bloc and NDP threatened to boycott the debate if May was let in.

Besides, I don't like her and her nuances and her whining.

Then let her in and expose them. If she had been let in we would be discussing something else now. I have never heard so much coverage of the Greens as I have in the last 2 days.
One struggle, many fronts.

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 05:19:34 PM »
Quote from: scott
Then let her in and expose them. If she had been let in we would be discussing something else now. I have never heard so much coverage of the Greens as I have in the last 2 days.

This I agree with.

Alison

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 05:20:46 PM »
Yabbut, yabbut, Skdadl, who was it who said the best thing May has going for her is that no one knows enough about her so they can project onto her whatever they like in the way of warm fuzzies? Moot point now but it sems to come down to whether you think her inclusion in a leadership debate would expose her or whether it would disneyfy the debate to her advantage.

Fern, ripping off your post now...

RP, if the major parties hadn't wanted her excluded, she'd be in. Definitely.

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »
Well, we'd have to depend on whoever from the media is asking questions to expose her, wouldn't we? And that hasn't been working real great lately.

ETA: Go ahead, Alison. Some people's stuff gets onto the boyos' aggregator. :pout:

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 05:42:07 PM »
Quote from: Alison@Creekside
RP, if the major parties hadn't wanted her excluded, she'd be in. Definitely.

That's backwards reasoning, and doesn't change the fact that it was the consortium's choice, and they were only ones with the power to actually decide.

Return To TAT