Author Topic: Who cares that E. May is excluded from the leaders' debate?  (Read 11156 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Who cares that E. May is excluded from the leaders' debate?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 09:35:18 AM »
You need a link to babble?   :mrgreen:

Oh, ok.

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
:)  I seriously have a hard time navigating around there anymore, with their antiquated software.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 11:21:11 AM »
Just to be clear skdadl, I am perfectly aware of the progressiveness the Bloc attends to Canada and I am not equating the Greens to the Bloc. I am saying Canadians cannot vote for Duceppe or his party if they live outside of Quebec, whereas the Greens have 306 ridings across Canada. I believe if she was included and of course Harper knows this, she could eat away at Conservative support.

And i believe the issue of her support for Dion is quite separate from her being excluded by the media consortium. Meantime Canada is in crisis and this side issue of principle does a good job of division.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
It certainly is a diversion. Some people -- Elizabeth May and Sarah Palin immediately come to mind -- have a real talent for making it all about them, when in fact we have bigger problems on our hands.

I don't care where responsible representatives of the Canadian people come from. Quebec, Baffin Island, who cares? (Does anyone live on Baffin Island?) If they have behaved in the Commons like serious democrats who take their responsibilities to the whole country and even, yes, to the constitution, seriously, then I like them. And the BQ, for all their formal rejection of the constitution, have been excellent defenders of our most basic human rights.

The main reason for caring about party is that the leader of the biggest (short of a coalition of littler ones) is going to be PM, which is a position of special power.

But if anything, people who claim to support PR would respect a party like the BQ all the more, not complain that it lives in only one province. You can, after all, raise similar complaints about all the other parties too, at which point we descend into absurdity.

The Greens claim to be running all those candidates ... and then Elizabeth May makes the phone calls to order one or another local Green to drop out and throw support to the Liberal ...  Thanks, but no thanks.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 12:23:51 PM »
Gotta do a quick hit and run on this since I only have a couple of minutes left...

I think she should be included. I also think that she already thrown support behind Dion and it is like having two reps for the same party. But in the interest of democracy and getting on with real issues let her in.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »
I don't know if it was Joe Clark's words, the 3 leaders hiding behind the consortium or it's Jacks face book comments, but he may be about to flip flop. No links yet. ETA - NDP Leader Jack Layton has backed down in his opposition to having Green party Leader Elizabeth May in the federal leaders debates.

Layton says the issue has "become a distraction" and he does not want to continue "debating about the debate."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/Cana ... 26-cp.html

Thanks Jack, I agree no more debate about the debate, we'll see what happens  :popcorn
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »
I wouldn't call it a flip flop, I mean jeez, people are allowed to change their mind.  My opinion hasn't changed, the debate means squat, I didn't care either way if eBay May were in it or not, it was just irritating to no end that it generated such drama-drama.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 02:36:18 PM »
Drama-drama yep. But a protestor was quietly taken away from Jack's morning stop. A green supporter. It's now all over the news. I'd say yeah it was politically expedient and I rilly rilly hope it now ends. Oh and the debates may mean diddly squat to us, but I remember as a young gril not knowing the difference between policy substance and teevee bullshite. The youngins still need them.

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
drama-drama

(you don't want no drama-drama)

I'm really relieved now.   :mrgreen:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 02:56:18 PM »
Hee, well let's face it, Dull (Harper) and Duller (Dion) would make it real hard to watch. Gilles occasionally says something as truthful as Williams now is, and Layton never gets enuf time to display his excellent opposition credentials. May should produce nice neck veins in Harpo though.  :lol:

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 03:13:59 PM »
Looks like tantrum tactics paid off:

Layton & Harper will not boycott.

That was quickly followed up by Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion saying he would call the five-network consortium that runs the debates — CBC, Radio-Canada, CTV, Global and TVA — to ask for an explanation of Ms. May's exclusion in the televised leaders debates for Oct. 1 and 2.

:?:

I thought it was a known fact---Elizabeth May said so herself---that she was being excluded because the boy-leaders were skeert of getting girl cooties.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 03:36:20 PM »
Well, you know the NDP. Historically so afeard of women leaders.   :roll:

And Jack: I mean, there's a man who can't cope with a strong woman, yes?   :roll:

If there is one good thing that might come out of this, it is that the whining from the Greens might stop soon and we might move on to things that matter.

Me, the first question I would put to May would be about Afghanistan. Actually, that's the first question I'd put to any of them.

Gah. This is Disneyland. Honestly, it is.

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 03:52:14 PM »
Do you know see the source of my pessimism?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »
skdadl, I can't stand May either: she is a Liberal clone and the Greens are fake environmentalists (like the Dion Liberals). But as a founding member of a political party (Québec solidaire) that doesn't have any MNAs elected, I do have a really hard time with rules limiting participation of so-called "minor" parties.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2008, 04:09:56 PM »
I don't know: I feel that I'm watching something like a perfect storm as I watch the May-Palin combination take down two elections simultaneously in North America. It just sickens me so much.

The American bloggers I read are really fighting back hard against Palin. No one here is fighting against May, except for sharp readers like k'in, who correctly identify the tantrum tactics (thanks for the phrase, k'in).

I just can't believe what I'm watching. We really are doomed.

Return To TAT