Author Topic: That unreachable rewind button  (Read 2103 times)

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
That unreachable rewind button
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:03:30 PM »
Ever have the feeling that you really want a rewind button on your life, so that you could skip back a bit and do something the way you think you would have done it if you knew then what you know now?  

Because I've been having a case of the rewind button blues for a while now.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Re: That unreachable rewind button
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:16:08 PM »
Care to be more specific, Mandos?

To answer your question: yes, of course.

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:33:18 PM »
Meh, I'm just a little down because, while I still want to get a PhD, it's probably not going to be the PhD I came for.  A more lucrative PhD, perhaps, but still not the one I came for.  A related one, but not exactly.  It took me a while to figure it out.  But now I realize that if I wanted to get the PhD I wanted to get, I should have made a couple of decisions differently a while back.  Of course, if I had never made those decisions, I'd never, eg, have lived a summer in Manhattan, etc.

My problem is that I have a habit of "over-leveraging" my options, to use a bit of bizspeak.  The real moral of the story for me is that you should do what you originally wanted when the opportunity is available. It's a hard lesson to learn that the opportunity is not actually going to come around again.

I guess this sounds like whining because my present career path is probably a better one, objectively speaking, than the one I originally had in mind.  But the one I orginally had in mind was the more fulfilling one.  But the door is kind of closed.

I think I set myself up for my own bait-and-switch.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
Sheesh Mandos, you sound like you're 70 years old.  If what you want is meaningful and fulfilling work, that opportunity will come round again.  

Not when you whistle for it, but it will.  Do send out into the universe those feelings of longing for what you desire.  It will show up eventually.  Be prepared, because it may not look like anything you expected.
:geezera:

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »
I've been wanting a rewind button since I was about 10.

You've got to consider that you're much more interesting and valuable than just what your PhD reports, and all of your thoughts and experiences outside your academic program are a huge part of who you are and what you are capable of. You'll be ready for whatever it is you are meant to do, whenever that comes around, or whenever you decide to make a move. You can't live in the future, you can only barely live in the present; and while it might be easiest to dwell on the past, and it might even help when sorting things out, but you can't stay there for too long otherwise you get down on yourself and you lose sight of current possibilities. Often what I've seen is that past opportunities weren't all that interesting anyways, and there's a good reason why you didn't take them - but sometimes that takes a while to see clearly.

Return To TAT