Author Topic: Conservative Platform  (Read 2269 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Conservative Platform
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »
More Conservative compassion:

Stephen Harper's Conservatives are promising to change the law so that young offenders 14 and older convicted of murder could go to jail for life, even if they are tried as children.

deBeauxOs

Re: Conservative Platform
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »
Oooh, I think that I have the topic for my next BP blogpost: Homicidal Fetus.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »
Always remembering that the Yahoo news people are, with Harper, like Foster Hewett was with the Maple Leafs, as in they rarely mention the opposition. It is always "Harper Reacts", "Harper Attacks" and "The Prime Minister Announces...": Here is a story that greeted me as I looked into my mail.  
Harper says added fiscal stimulus needed

Yes, once again our good PM is acting on behalf of all Canadians:
".... our assessment is we're going to need additional fiscal policy action.... We don't need probably as much stimulus as the United States thinks it needs but we're going to need a significant stimulus package and obviously to address some particular sectoral challenges as well," he added

Well DUH! The master politician, the economics degree bearing beast has finally managed to see what even his mentor GWB saw months ago - it only took a Constitutional Crisis to make the light shine though into his dull comprehension. (Naturally he pretends he had this in mind all the time.) (What else ya gonna do?  :whis: )

This is directly addressing at least part of the genesis of the coalition - the dunderheaded response to the precipitous down-slide of the Canadian economy in concert with rest of the world financial system.

My take on it is that if he can fuck up on the big stuff, stuff that the rest of the world sees as obvious, can he be trusted with the devil of the details? Can his Finance Minister be trusted directing the federal financial policies if he came out with that foolish statement that began this whole constitutional thing? Obviously, NO.

But that is my take on it ..... it is indeed, the way I saw these fools to begin with - not one of them could organize a piss up in a brewery, let alone a response to a global crisis. I am a partisan - to the Tory unwashed masses this may be the appropriate response at the appropriate time, if not to the crisis, at least to the political firestorm that Harpo and rest of these Marx brothers leaders the CPC has ignited. Perhaps more important, can the [s:s1l4g4py]rank[/s:s1l4g4py]  members er...er.... that is rank and file  :mrgreen:    of the CPC trust a leader who's political judgment is so separated from reality that he misjudged this situation this badly, while the rest of the world recognized it for what it was (is).

No matter what 'solutions' his vacuous little mind manages to foist upon the Canadian people will the electorate accept it? To see the media blitz in the last election you would think that Baird has been a closet environmentalist for years (even if, as a party the CPC went as far as denying climate change up until long after it was accepted by the public). Will his fat media budget be able to say to Canadians: "HEH! HEH! HEH! Fooled ya ..... I had this in mind all along. :lol: )
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »
For those who may have forgotten Harper's election promises, here is a short exert from the Federal Accountability Act.

*  A consistent appointment process for Agents of Parliament with a meaningful role for Parliament.
    * A new Public Appointments Commission to oversee appointments to agencies, boards, and commissions.
    * An end to priority treatment for ministerial aides when they apply for public-service positions.
Such is the act as presented by Treasury Board. Harper leveraged the scurrilous activities of the Liberal Party in Quebec into a general feeling that the entire party was up to its' mandate in corruption, sleaze and patronage. He promised "Merit based appointments" - and subsequently became PM.

The way it was supposed to work was that a board was to be set up to judge who was the best candidate of several that would be offered. Unfortunately, as per the Star (Sept 2007):
Harper's flip-flop on patronage has been stunning, given that his Federal Accountability Act, enacted in December, allows for an independent commission to control appointments. But after a fight with opposition parties over who should head the agency, Harper opted not to set it up. Since then, he has made hundreds of appointments. In just one week in March, he gave jobs to 10 party faithful.

Now heeeee's at it again.

The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - The federal cabinet filled more than a half-dozen posts at key government boards last month with Conservative supporters, including one of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's closest friends.

The high-level appointments were among more than 30 plums cabinet handed out in one day at the height of internal Tory strife and speculation that Harper's leadership might be in trouble.

The story makes a lot of the broken promise about the appointment board. But he angrily suspended the reform when the opposition turned down his choice for the commission's chair. Harper has kept the commission secretariat operating, however, at a cost of $1 million over the last three years.

Now my take on that is .. that is what governments do, it is why they are elected. The Liberals did it for years, filling boards and commissions and even the big one, the Senate, with their soul mates. Yes, some were every bit as incompetent, lazy and arrogant as any Tory. The story manages to find someone who thinks the appointments will sink Canada:
"One way to change Canada is to destroy the institutions created by your enemies," said Stephen Clarkson, a prominent author and University of Toronto political scientist.

"You transform them by putting your people in to turn a Liberal institution into a Conservative institution, or maybe even drive it into the ground."  
That whole vision leaves me with a yawn ..... it may change Canada, but people voted for change from the Liberals - this is just the electoral decision unfolding. (My father, while a Civil Servant, was high enough in the hierarchy that he was tared with the Louis St. Laurent brush and could quip: "I only voted conservative once in my life, for Diefenbaker, and was unemployed six months later.")  :annoyed:

While the Tories do not pretend like the Republicans in the US, that they are a 'big tent' party - they do have a substantial following and not just CEOs ... the 'sponsorship scandal left deep grooves in the Canadian psyche.

What the whole thing tells me is that Harper is still learning .... the Liberals were not stupid, even if a tad sleazy. They knew how to get power and, more important in cases such as this, how to keep power. This Harper had to find out, and the merit based appointments were just a 'learning experience'. Harper is between the proverbial heaven and the deep blue sea of caucus revolt. It took him too long to finally reward the party faithful with a few 'plums' and now, by appointing so many in one fell swoop, has left those not appointed wondering why they bother with all the Conservative work if it does not return any material 'goodies'.

The CEOs may be concerned with vast philosophical directions of government, a small tax adjustment means millions for them, an extra couple of hundred dollars in tax deductions per year is chump change for the rank and file.  To them politics is not a spectator sport. it should return something.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT