Author Topic: Canadian Oxford Dictionary staff all laid off  (Read 1758 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Canadian Oxford Dictionary staff all laid off
« on: October 05, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »
CBC:

The entire staff of the Canadian Oxford Dictionary has been laid off because of declining sales.

The Canadian branch of the Oxford University Press said it told two full-time and two part-time employees this week they would be let go due to "changing market conditions."

Katherine Barber, the full-time editor of the dictionary, is among those who have been let go. Dubbed "Canada's Word Lady," Barber has been at the helm of Oxford's Canadian dictionary department since its creation in 1991.

David Stover, president of the Canadian company, said sales of all print dictionaries have declined in recent years.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Canadian Oxford Dictionary staff all laid off
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »
"... with the assistance of Canadian freelancers ... " Yeah.  :rant:  :rant2:

That means they're outsourcing their experts, with consequent loss of pay, benefits, etc.

Some of that is inevitable -- certainly the switch to doing it all online is. But it doesn't have to be done this way -- this is a money grab.

I don't think I'd say that Canadian publishing is dead, but the people who were trained in it the way it used to be are just being steamrollered.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:53:40 AM »
Yeah, I saw that. Utterly livid.

I agree that dictionaries will become more and more computer-based (though hopefully there will be versions one can use when not on line).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Gigi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
Oddly enough, this seems to be an era when MORE people need access to a freaking dictionary, not fewer.

Return To TAT