Author Topic: 2008 U.S. Presidential Election Political Discussion Thread  (Read 38689 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: 2008 U.S. Presidential Election Political Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »
Oh Jeebus you are so far ahead of me, I haven't even caught up with the hate stuff, the racist stuff yet. Trying. Thanks brebi/fern/skdadl and everyone.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
The racist stuff is too horrible to contemplate. Some of those nutcases are war veterans and of the militaristic stamp (survivalists and such) represented by the late far-right terrorist Timothy McVeigh.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 03:49:57 PM »
William Kristol, NYT writer and co-founder of PNAC, 'discovered' Palin :

In June 2007, a cruise liner sponsored by the political journal The Weekly Standard set anchor in Juneau, Alaska. Editors and guests of the publication were then treated to a reception with Governor Sarah Palin.
On June 30, 2008, Kristol confidently predicted that McCain would select Sarah Palin and as a public display of support, oil prices would miraculously fall.

A key organizer and participant in the Palin meeting was Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol, who can fairly lay claim to having "discovered" Palin for Washington political circles. Palin's name appeared in fifty-seven Weekly Standard articles since the Juneau meeting-starting with a paean entitled "The Most Popular Governor" that ran right after the reception.

Pacific Free Press

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »
:rant:  :rant2:

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 04:28:08 PM »
Well, there's a guy in who will go down in a very small footnote of Republican history as being very small-minded and utterly wrong.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »
Scott Horton on the hacker and the governor

Then there are the troublesome questions. Why does it mean nothing to the feds when Joe Six-Pack is the victim of Internet identity theft, but the house falls in when a prankster wants to embarrass Sarah Palin? Do you think there might be just a bit of politics lurking behind the scenes? In this Justice Department? And then there is the still-more menacing question: we now know that Palin was systematically violating the Open Records Act trying to keep her official dealings in the dark. By bringing down the hammer on a person who helped expose her misconduct, are the prosecutors actually attempting to cloak the official misconduct of a public servant?

And the case gets more interesting, as Horton says in his update, with the ruling of the Alaska Superior Court that Palin's emails (even on the illegit private account) are public records -- so, like, hand 'em over.

It's true that, if you've been watching the DoJ over the last two years, it is bizarre to see them suddenly prosecuting someone (I mean the wee hacker) hard when they have flannelled so many serious criminals off the hook. And then there's the Libby commutation, o' course.

Man, that administration is so crooked.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 11:11:06 PM »
:shock: I just read the WaPo article, totally freaking nuts, whipping up the masses like that. McCain/Palin rally, or How to incite Anger in Mobs

Wow talk about a huge failure to educate the public in the nasty past. Whenever I see McCain/uber rich wife on stages, with masses of people, I wonder for the gazillionth time why don't the people see they are not like them, never will be, not in their interests, but they just don't get it. It freaks me out.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 12:09:25 PM »
John McCain in prepared remarks to be delivered today: "We've got them just where we want them."

:rotfl:

When I stopped laughing, I thought first of Monty Python ("It's just a flesh wound"), and then of people like General Custer. Turns out Instaputz was ahead of me.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »
Sooner of later you knew it would come to this.

Obama is getting hit on abortion from all sides now. First it was National Right to Life. Then Sarah Palin over the weekend. Now? The Family Research Council Action PAC will begin running TV commercials targeting Obama and abortion.

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/463421.aspx
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »
continuing the Palin impeachment discussion from here

very thorough back story here

Volume 1 of the Troopergate report continues for another 334 pages. But the point has been made. And the point is that from the beginning of her administration Sarah Palin and, with her knowledge and approval, the people around her repeatedly attempted to persuade Commissioner of Public Safety Walt Monegan to commit a criminal misdemeanor by firing Michael Wooten from his job as an Alaska State Trooper in violation of the State Personnel Act. Doing so is “malfeasance in the performance of official duties”  that, adjusted for time and circumstance, is near identical to the alleged “malfeasance in the performance of official duties” that in 1985 almost got Alaska Governor Bill Sheffield impeached.

Whether as a consequence of the Troopergate investigation Alaska Governor Sarah Palin soon will face her own impeachment depends on the extent to which the Republican members of the Alaska Senate believe that their constitutional duty to ensure that every Alaska governor “faithfully executes the laws” trumps party loyalty. As of today, I would rate that a toss-up.
Alaska Dispatch
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 03:55:27 PM »
Also, mudflats is a good source of ongoing Palin information.

And, here to confirm what we all suspected from the very beginning: McCain knows he put country at risk with Palin pick

But of course the real question is, did he know he was also putting his campaign at risk?  :?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »
We can't know, of course, but my sense is that Rove was in the background, may still be, and talked the campaign into taking Palin on on the most cynical bases. Was that all then just forced on McCain?

The guy really looks and sounds as though he doesn't know himself any more. He is taking advice from some of the nastiest people in the world.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 06:40:15 PM »
Wow!  I haven't been following Troopergate, but the idea that someone who may well be impeached as governor is running as VP for the most powerful nation on the planet is just effing nuts!

I have been trying to keep up with AlterNet's posts.  Today there is a Progressive Voter Guide to Reproductive Justice and Gender.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 11:34:09 AM »
Last debate tonight, but apparently the thought of it has put Cheney in Hospital but he'll just get a complete blood transfusion, new mechanical devices and ready to roar later in the day.

Return To TAT