Author Topic: Cuba Has Oil  (Read 2114 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Cuba Has Oil
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:12:46 AM »
Cuba's claims of 20B barrels in offshore oil raise eyebrows :lol:

The merkin version at HuffPost We want it. Yeah right, onwards to embargo light. If I was Cuba I'd say Fuck You!

This is truly the most symbolic sign of hope I've seen in a long while. Congratulations Cuba! After America has spent trillions of dollars of hard working people's tax money, killing and displacing millions of people, I hope to gawd this makes them sit up and shut up! Perhaps it may even force them to look at cleaning up and fixing up their own backyard.

This is going to catapult Cuba into the top 20 oil producers. Karma, maybe it is real afterall. Looks great on the wee nation.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Cuba Has Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:49:19 AM »
Good unless the Merkins try to grab it - but they've been too overextended to invade Venezuela, so...

It is good in a lot of ways, also if it can improve the Cuban standard of living and promote co-operation with other progressive Latin American countries, "opening up" Cuba - of course I don't mean opening its veins for predation by the US or other imperialist powers, but providing more political democracy to the Cuban people, including more press freedom and universal Internet access.

The European Union has re-established its diplomatic ties with Cuba, severed after a clampdown on dissent (some of the dissidents are pro-US and in CIA pay, but not all by any means) and the application of the death penalty - most Europeans and in particular the European left strongly oppose state executions. Sure, the EU is no more innocent of imperialism than the US is, but given the geopolitical situation it is probably a good thing for Cuba.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die H√∂he richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verk√ľnden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »
Cuba has developed a lot of energy efficient and sustainable agricultural and industrial processes precisely because of their lack of oil, no? I hope this discovery will be used to enrich Cubans through export rather than revert back to unsustainable models of food production.

transplant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:33:41 AM »
Quote from: kuri
Cuba has developed a lot of energy efficient and sustainable agricultural and industrial processes precisely because of their lack of oil, no? I hope this discovery will be used to enrich Cubans through export rather than revert back to unsustainable models of food production.

Except we (all of us) really need to be weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels right now.
Hope has met reality

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »
Sadly of course this will lead to closer ties with the U.S. and turn cuba into venezuela, where they talk but dont walk because all their oil can ONLY be refined in american refineries. Neither has the ability to turn their crude into usable gas/oil
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
Good unless the Merkins try to grab it - but they've been too overextended to invade Venezuela, so...

Summit of the Americas to which Cuba was not invited. But Obama speaks of nothing else while in Trinidad/Tobago. And again forget the past -

"I didn't come here to debate the past -- I came here to deal with the future. As neighbors, we have a responsibility to each other and to our citizens. And by working together, we can take important steps forward to advance prosperity, security and liberty."

On other matters, Obama, who said he is committed to fighting inequality "and creating prosperity from the bottom up," announced a Microfinance Growth Fund for the hemisphere and proposed creating an Energy and Climate Partnership of the Americas "to promote renewable energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions."

That last line makes me laugh.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04 ... inamerica/
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:08:06 AM »
Prime Minister Stephen Harper arrived in Trinidad and Tobago Friday for the fifth Summit of the Americas, in what some are saying could be the last meeting of its kind.

None of the 34 countries making up the group have offered to host the next meeting, and the indifference, if not outright hostility, of some Latin American countries to the Summit threatens the possibility of another.

At issue for many countries, but particularly Venezuela, is Cuba's exclusion from the Summit because it is not a democracy.

Oh ferfucksakes. As he has done on recent foreign trips, Harper was once again snubbing the Canadian media in favour of international media.
Canada is not only spineless neither the Cons/LIbs will have anythig meaningful to say.,
oops Oops we're idiots

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »
I doubted the POV of a distinguished commentator in another thread. I was worried at the construction of a thought thatScott Horton made concerning torture by the US, feeling that Mr. Horton was claiming nativity  on the part of American torturers. The sure minded skdadl convinced me to suspend judgement - an give a man who has consistently been accurate and knowledgeable in his pronouncements.

Now, this morning I read truthout about the interaction in the Summit of the Americas and there it is again.  :shock:

Even though Castro says:
"We are willing to discuss everything -- human rights, freedom of press, political prisoners, everything, everything, everything they want to talk about," Castro said. "We could be wrong, we admit it. We're human."
(Hillery did not even go that far and was accused of being unAmerican) the response, as reported in the article is amazingly condescending.
The Cuban government has repeatedly hinted that it is ready for a thaw in relations with the United States, only to clamp down, possibly fearful that improved relations would threaten its hold on power.

Cuba experts and lawmakers cautioned that the latest warming signs could be short-lived as well.

"I think they get spooked whenever we get closer, and they want to push it back," said Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), a longtime advocate of expanded U.S. contact with Cuba. "I've never been convinced they want us to fully lift the travel ban."

There it is, Miss Piggy like .... "MOI? Do something wrong??? Excuuuuuuse me."

From what I understand Cuba will gladly talk of 'human rights issues and political prisoners" so long as the US will talk of their human rights issues and political prisoners. When the US gets haughty and claims they have none ... Cuba knows they are not serious and withdraws.

I hope this is not an accurate reflection of the mood going into the talks .. if so they will, once again, be subverted by the US.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT