Author Topic: US politics in movies and television series  (Read 1487 times)

deBeauxOs

US politics in movies and television series
« on: November 15, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »
Today I was thinking that I might like to watch 'The Contender' again to flush the notion of Caribou Barbie as VP out of my brain.  

Besides a number of amazing performances by Joan Allen, William Petersen, Gary Oldman and Jeff Bridges, it is a powerfully written and captivating thriller about backroom politics.

deBeauxOs

Re: US politics in movies and television series
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Dave with Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:00:36 PM »
I've yet to see The Contender but I loved Dave.

Another great White House flick was Being There with Peter Sellers.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

deBeauxOs

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:08:09 PM »
A friend lent me one of the seasons of The West Wing on dvd.  I found it riveting, and wonderfully written.  CJ has to be one of the most complex and fascinating characters created and performed for a dramatic TV series.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »
Bob Roberts understated and incredibly well done and still relevant all these years later.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

deBeauxOs

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »
Quote from: Debra
Bob Roberts understated and incredibly well done and still relevant all these years later.
:applause: yes - top of my list too.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 03:14:04 PM »
Dick
He was tricky. They were better. The story of two girls who wander away from a White House tour and meet President Nixon.
Irreverent doesn't even begin to describe this movie.  Bob Woodward played by Will Ferrell?  Moments of broad slapstick for sure, but quite subversive.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »
The Manchurian Candidate (1962) is complex and works on so many levels, but I particularly liked its depiction of craven desire for political power.  It is also beautiful to watch - the cinematography and editing raised the standard for films in that genre that were produced later.

There's a good review here.
... John Frankenheimer's prophetically tragic, chilling, brilliant, blackish (film-noirish) Cold War thriller about brain-washing, conspiracy, the dangers of international Communism, McCarthyism, assassination, and political intrigue. Laurence Harvey is brilliant as a brainwashed Korean war hero who has been programmed as a Soviet sleeper/mole agent to assassinate a Presidential candidate. It can be categorized within many film genres - it functions as a horror film, a war film, a science fiction film, a black comedy, a suspense-thriller, and a political melodrama

John_D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »
There's also the great shots at McCarthyism, particularly where the demagogue senator and his wife (and doesn't Angela Lansbury just knock it out of the park in that role?) have to make up a number of Communists to claim are in the defense department and, after looking at a bottle of ketchup, they settle on 57.

Return To TAT