Author Topic: December 6th We Remember  (Read 5294 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: December 6th We Remember
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »
Some friends (Magrebi and Québécois "de souche") were musing about how people from North Africa in particular (French-speaking, usually well educated and integrated into Québec society) suddenly became "non-white" after the 9-11 attacks. As contrasted with other groups "becoming white" in a social integration sense.

And essentialised as Muslims whether or not they were remotely religious.

At the time of the massacre, nobody cared who the father was, of a young man essentially raised by his mother (who had fled a violent husband, as so many women of all backgrounds do).

Note that Marc was baptised a Roman Catholic, as his mother no doubt retained some religious feeling, and his Algerian father was utterly indifferent to religion. Was dad a "Muslim"? He was mostly a violent jerk.

Edited to add: Oh, by the way, Concordia Engineering Department Massacre perpetrator Valery Fabricant was a Jew, in the same sense that Gharbi père was a Muslim. ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Fabrikant Don't think Spector would like such insinuations much...

This racist crap deserves a vehement response - letters to the editor to start, and a rebuttal. Violent jerks exist in all cultures.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »
lagatta, grand merci for that nugget of info which I used as anchor for a blogpost that pokes the odious Norman Spector in the other eye, the one without a wooden beam stuck in it.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »
Touché!

Not that Fabrikant was religiously Jewish - he was a Russian. But it seems the Gharbi had a similar background, not unusual at all among urbanites in post-independence Algeria.

Right now I'm thinking of a poor man who definitely was a Muslim, and a hard-working, loving father of four by all accounts.  Mohammed Nehar Belaid was an Algerian taxi driver, 64 years old, murdered to steal his cab, cards and bit of cash. The suspect charged is a 28 year old man. The funeral for Mr Belaid was at the mosque in Ville St-Laurent (which I have visited with others in an Arab studies class). This story also makes me very very sad. :(  That is a tough job for someone who is getting on in years.

deBeauxOs, I am glad that my (very personal and vivid) recollection of the two massacres were of some use. I know someone who worked as a temp office worker at the Concordia Engineering School - she hid under a desk to evade the killer. It was very upsetting two and a half years after the Polytechnique Massacre. I first heard about the Concordia massacre over the radio while at UdM. It seemed almost unbelievable. Imagine how close some people here in the engineering field must have been to both massacres.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 05:12:26 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
... Not that Fabrikant was religiously Jewish - he was a Russian. ...
 Ah-Ha!  One could follow Norman Spector's template and produce something equally inane, racializing Russians and suggesting a genetic basis for violent behaviours and institutionalized violence.  

What a privileged dick-head Spector is.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »
Well, "Jew" is more pointed in Spector's case - yes of course using "Jewish" as a racial category is something anti-semites do, but it is exactly what Spector is doing to Muslims or those construed as Muslims.

I don't like Stronach, but what a pottymouth jerk Spector is. The nerve of that @#$%&, thinking she had the right to leave a MAN! He is talking like a stalker.
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 06:55:58 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
Well, "Jew" is more pointed in Spector's case - yes of course using "Jewish" as a racial category is something anti-semites do, but it is exactly what Spector is doing to Muslims or those construed as Muslims. ...
That was the first category that came to my mind.  

Good ol'boy Norm attempts to be elliptic in his G&M piece and tries to pin most of what he's suggesting on Janet Bagnall's words, quoted out of context.

But he's the one to make a ham-fisted connection to the Fort Hood shooting.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:21 PM »
I didn't like Janet Bagnall's piece very much when I read it - usually she is very good about the worldwide nature of women's rights issues and doesn't let herself get dragged onto Sally Armstrongish ground. But it is light years away from Spector's crap.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT