Author Topic: Canadian coalition government?  (Read 31238 times)

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
Re: Canadian coalition government?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2008, 05:51:35 PM »
According to KO'M, Harper has put off the opposition's opportunity to vote on the Liberal motion of non-confidence until Dec. 8th. He's stalling for time which may mean he's going to come up with some kind of stimulus package to satisfy the opposition. Or he may be stalling for time because he's been caught by surprise and doesn't really know what he's going to do.

ETA: I edited that to be more precise. So far there's no indication that Harper is putting off the vote on his government's Ways and Means legislation and if the opposition gangs up and defeats it, that's still a vote of non-confidence. So I'm not sure what this gambit accomplishes.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2008, 06:08:50 PM »
pogge, I am now confused. You are saying that the Ways and Means leg is still to be voted on this coming Monday? If that is so, and the government is defeated, then voting on a non-confidence motion doesn't matter. Yes?

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »
5:38:44 PM
He just said “Premier Ministre Dion”! Drink!

Kady

OMG, OMG! We just sent him to his room! No soup for you Mr. President!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »
from comments
T. Thwim
Nov 28, 2008 17:15
Report Abuse

Any odds on a speech ala Eric Cartman?

“Screw you guys.. I’m going home.”
:rotfl:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »
Harper said the next opposition day will be set for Dec. 8.
He also cancelled a vote on a ways-and-means motion that had been scheduled for Monday night
He also said that Dion doesn't have the right to take power without an election. Now I know that Harper is an economist, not a political scientist. But I'm going to assume that he understands our system of government better than that. Since the Americans will probably give it a rest for a while it may be time to start borrowing Al Franken's book title: Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »
Tell me, do you think he looks drunk in this photo from today's news conference?
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

deBeauxOs

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 12:34:30 AM »
My theory is that during the election, Harper agreed to take prescribed medication under a physician's supervision to reduce the likelihood he would lose his temper.  It's the only explanation for his lack of affect and for the absence of raging explosions of fury during the televised leadership debates.  He also had a slurring speech pattern that even the reporters liveblogging noticed.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2008, 01:11:38 AM »
Rilly?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2008, 02:03:16 AM »
Quote from: Alison@Creekside
I dunno, Mattt, he's presumably gone in May which makes him non-threatening.
OK, not a big Dion fan but .... Biggest come-back evah!
And Best. News. Evah!  At least Best. News. Today ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7l250E5uM4

I was so busy Thurs/Fri that I am just getting caught up now & I luvsit.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2008, 02:08:29 AM »
Mama said...and that's all, g'nite. Thanks Kittah.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2008, 03:05:40 AM »
Quote from: GDKitty
I was so busy Thurs/Fri that I am just getting caught up now & I luvsit.

Welcome back, Kitty.  I've been a'missin' your involvement here since you took that paid work thing!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2008, 06:33:17 AM »
I am trying hard to contain self. Trying not to get too giddy with joy. Every time I say something positive, I knock on wood. *knock* But ...  :mrgreen:  *knock*

We have to get to work. If this coalition thingy has to wait a week-plus to get going, then we have to hold some feet to the fire. How do we do this? Write to MPs? Give Jack a stern talking-to? Blogburst? I forget how to be practical -- things in my riding have been so hopeless for so long. But ... *knock*

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2008, 06:53:08 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
We have to get to work. If this coalition thingy has to wait a week-plus to get going, then we have to hold some feet to the fire. How do we do this? Write to MPs? Give Jack a stern talking-to? Blogburst? I forget how to be practical -- things in my riding have been so hopeless for so long. But ... *knock*

Sent Jack $50 tonight ... hope that does something ... not that Lib are better than Cons (my union did not get a raise for 10 years during the 'poverty' of the 'Sponsership' time) - but general unrest if a good thing.

"What's the use of a revolution without general copulation?"
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2008, 07:00:03 AM »
Groovy bathtub.

I read a bunch of de Sade. Few writers have ever bored me so deeply. He had some brilliant contemporaries, though. Choderlos de Laclos is probably the greatest novelist who ever lived.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Groovy bathtub.

I read a bunch of de Sade. Few writers have ever bored me so deeply. He had some brilliant contemporaries, though. Choderlos de Laclos is probably the greatest novelist who ever lived.

In my senior year I ended up giving a series of seminars on the Marquis .... he was something of a loser .... he supported the revolution, but as a (minor) member of the aristocracy Robespierre had him tossed in the slammer ....then, because he did initially support the revolution, when the Monarchy was restored ... they locked him up too.

He was a minor romantic thinker/philosopher ... more an example of the genera than a leader. His sex was almost as boring as his thinking .. Justine is something less than a great work, but it illustrates some thoughts of the period. His THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM takes more than a quarter to get through, even if you have any tenacity.

I picked him up after reading Pauline Reage and her Story of O ...
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT