Author Topic: Canadian coalition government?  (Read 31239 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Canadian coalition government?
« Reply #405 on: December 15, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
:D  so cute, in a modest way of course.

Coalition is out, the Cons have forever poisoned that word in Canadian minds.

Merge. Make it real, make it count, make it so the Cons go away for the greater good of Canada. Srsly. Distasteful? Yeah, it is, no question, but we're almost at the cliff now.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
Canadian coalition government?
« Reply #406 on: June 03, 2010, 09:41:58 PM »
Aha I found the Coalition thread: Hot Dog but I like this article

Except can someone please explain what tf this means:
Now, however, it looks like the window of opportunity for the Liberals  to initiate a coalition with the NDP from a position of strength is  rapidly closing. A Liberal strategist told me last week that “even Ed  Broadbent, one of the strongest promoters of the coalition, seems to be  having second thoughts. He believes that the chaos in the Liberal party  is pushing many of our voters towards them.”
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 03, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »
Watching the Brit experience, maybe 'coalition' isn't such a dirty word any longer. :bricks:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 09, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
Despite Kinsella saying there were srs merger talk among srs white men, and the NDP/Liberals coming out strongly today saying No Merger Talks, THIS in the Hill Times says, there has been a LiberalDemocrat.ca domain since 2008. Since it was posted at 6:00 a.m.(or so) today, it no longer re-directs to the LPC as it says it did.;

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #409 on: June 09, 2010, 12:03:48 PM »
Me, I think merger talks are absurd, first of all because of the kind of party the NDP is. People who actually belong to the NDP belong for a reason (well, for one of many reasons, maybe, but they all have principled political reasons). No, that doesn't account for everyone who might vote NDP, but it sure accounts for the party. And the vast majority of Dippers would just never consent to joining the party of John Manley, never.

For all its faults and weaknesses right now, the NDP is a labour party, a social democrat party, and the Liberals are THE party of big capitalism. They might be looking pathetic right now, but that won't last. As soon as they can find a sale-able front man, their backers will be back in droves and they will be behaving the way Liberals always do. Bank on it.

Kinsella is a blowhard. I don't know why anyone takes him seriously. Much of this recent chatter is his self-promotion, methinks.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 09, 2010, 12:27:04 PM »
It's a trial balloon anyway.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #411 on: June 09, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »
We've had very good minority governments in the past, usually Liberal, that depended on NDP support for a time. That, after all, is how we got medicare. You don't even need a formal "coalition" to do that, although a coalition formed after an election would be ok.

A "merger" formed before an election would infuriate a lot of people who want to be able to vote their conscience. I don't mind an NDP leader supporting a Liberal PM who is pushing through good programs we've fought for, but I sure am not giving up my right to vote for a social democrat (or reasonable facsimile). And a lot of people feel that way.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 09, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »
Medicare is a beautiful example.

Liberal corporate canada still doesn't understand the economy and the environment are entwined and that legislation initiatives must be brought forth with this in mind for the future of Canada. W/O that, we're still thinking 2 decades ago.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 09, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »
I'd like to see the NDP exercise more leverage, and to do that would take both the LPC and the NDP increasing their seat count so as to challenge the CPC. I can see the NDP winning more seats, but I frankly am flummoxed as to how the LPC can do better.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 21, 2010, 10:41:42 PM »
Oh look, the Cons are responding to Iggy's fellatio. Tories open to Liberal Afghan plan: MacKay

Amazing? Not really, like we didn't know. Suddenly we've switched from gas pipelines to Lithium and Copper Mining? And of course deliver more 'stimulus'.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:47:42 PM by Toedancer »

Return To TAT