Author Topic: Israeli Apartheid  (Read 69082 times)

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
Israeli Apartheid
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:18:27 AM »
From the Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid's Labour Committee:

Labour for Palestine is proud to launch:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Jafa - A Bulletin in Solidarity with Palestinian Workers and Unions'
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here to download the web-readable version of Jafa (part 1 / part 2).

Click here to donwload the print-ready copy of Jafa.

As an initiative coming out of the first Labour for Palestine conference, held in Toronto May-June 2008, we are pleased to bring you the first issue of 'Jafa: A Bulletin in Solidarity with Palestinian Workers and Unions'.

Jafa will be published quarterly and aims to bring together news and analysis on the situation of Palestinian workers and unions wherever they are - in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, citizens of Israel, refugee camps and across the diaspora.

We stand in solidarity with the 2005 call from Palestine for a campaign of boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israeli Apartheid. This call was signed by all major Palestinian trade union federations, including the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions.

Jafa takes its name from the Arabic acronym for the Palestinian Arab Workers Society (Jame'yat Alomal Al Falestiniya Alarabiya), the first Palestinian labour federation founded in Haifa in on March 21, 1925. As part of our mandate, we hope to help in the rediscovery of the history of Palestinian trade unionism and workers struggles in the
region.

The first issue includes articles on the deaths and harassment of Palestinian workers in the West Bank, Palestinian date-pickers in the Jordan Valley, the Palestinian Reform and Development Plan, and updates on solidarity initiatives globally.

We encourage you to download Jafa at www.caiaweb.org and take copies to labour events, union offices and your workplace. Bulk hard copies can be ordered for a small cost from labour@caiaweb.org.

We also encourage submissions, letters from rank-and-file workers and unionists across the globe.

In solidarity
Labour for Palestine, Toronto
labour@caiaweb.org
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Israeli Apartheid
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 07:16:27 AM »
Israel attacks Gaza

These are air strikes; more than 120 are dead and 200 wounded. A formal ceasefire between Israel and Hamas ended last week, and there had been noises that the Israelis were planning to do this.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 07:43:01 AM »
Horrible. Imagine what these parents are feeling:

Many Hamas security compounds are in residential areas. The air strikes took place as children left school. Plumes of black smoke rose over Gaza City, sirens wailed through the streets and women frantically looked for their children.

One man sat in the middle of a street in Gaza City, close to a security compound, slapping his face and covering his head with dust from the bombed-out building. "My son is gone, my son is gone," said Sadi Masri, 57. The shopkeeper said he sent his son out to buy cigarettes minutes before the air strikes and could not find him. "May I burn like the cigarettes, may Israel burn," Masri said.

Hamas is the elected government. One may not like a government (certainly don't like "ours") but that is no reason to punish the people.

It is a particularly difficult time of year to mobilise people against this atrocity. I'll contact the people who organise our weekly vigil outside the Israeli consulate, against the occupation, but cripes, week between Christmas and New Year's, and still Chanukah for Jewish people...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:33:15 AM »
Well, it is an ongoing atrocity. Israel has become so corrupt; they're barely pretending any more because they know they have Western nations reciting the mantras, although I read that Gordon Brown has expressed shock and appealed to Israel to avoid civilian casualties.

But Israel targeted the police. The police aren't the people who fire rockets at Israel -- they're trying to get decent security going within the enclave. The Globe and Mail refers several times to "Palestinian security compounds" as if those were Hamas training grounds, but they're not -- they're police stations, and Israel targeted a group of new recruits just graduating. Truly perverse.

Harper, of course, is totally onside with Israel, and Ignatieff and Rae are not much better.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »
Yeah, and Duceppe caught hell from the Zionists for taking part in the huge rally here (which also counted many  Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox Jews) against Israel's invasion of Lebanon, and for other expressions of support for Palestinians and Lebanese against Israeli aggression.

It is an ongoing atrocity, but still, it is important to protest specific acts of aggression, as well as the ongoing occupation and its cortege of humiliations and random acts of violence.

I do suspect the Israeli state thinks it would be better to act now while Bush is still in the White House. Brown has been showing more backbone, but his earlier support for Blair's toadying weakens his hand somewhat. I haven't heard much from the EU or other powerful "state actors".

Not that I think of Obama as any great friend of the Palestinians - had to make that deal with the devil (among others) to get to the White House, but I do tend to think he might be a bit more critical of gross Israeli actions such as this one.

Indeed those compounds are police stations, and sorely needed. The US also targeted police stations in Baghdad, adding a serious spike in crimes against people and property to all the other miseries Baghdadis are experiencing.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 12:01:44 PM »
The media is being very disengenuous in the reporting of who is being killed. Smucking bastards! Over 190 dead, and indeed police stations, the chief of police and civilians

The U.S. of course condemns Hamas and not a word to criticize Israel. Canada/Brits as well. But what really amazes is an Israeli MP demands Barak be indicted for allowing medical supplies into Gaza After they Israel would not let any medicine into Gaza for months! Totally off the deep end, they want to completely wipe every Palestinian off the map, butchering murdering thugs.

eta - Obama on Gaza - No Comment

The Israeli-Palestinian "peace process"? The Israelis, for their part, are having none of it – and neither is our future President.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »
I wrote a response, mattt, but I really have to restrain myself.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »
Me too. Simply recalled that Hamas were elected.

By that logic it was legitimate to bomb the WTC because of the murderous cretin the Merkins supposedly elected.

(Note to CSIS agents - NO, I do NOT think that, and neither does anyone on this or related boards).
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 05:48:07 PM »
Emergency demo in Montréal:

Demonstration to commemorate Palestinian victims of Israeli massacre in Gaza
------------------------------
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 28th, 13h00
Norman Bethune Square
corner: Guy & de Maisonneuve
(metro Guy-Concordia)
------------------------------
In response to the latest massacre of Palestinians executed by the Israeli apartheid regime.
At least 200 Palestinians have been killed in the latest Israeli assault on the Gaza Strip, while the threat for further bloodshed still hands heavily over the skies in Palestine as the current Israeli assault over Gaza continues.

This is the single largest massacre in Gaza since Israel illegally occupied Gaza in 1967, many among the dead are civilians and the numbers keeps mounting.

Israel's military operation "Cast Lead" has echoes of previous Israeli raids into Gaza that have been characterized by indiscriminate attacks on civilian population centers, mass detentions, violent house demolitions and other forms of collective punishment against the Palestinian people.

Additionally this demonstration will address the Canadian government's total support towards Israel, best exemplified increased bilateral military, political and economic links.

Israel's latest massacre in Gaza occurs with official Canadian complicity towards Israel's illegal siege and ongoing sanctions over the civilian population in Gaza. Over the past two years the Gaza Strip has been undergoing the daily violence of a wide-ranging humanitarian catastrophe triggered by severely reduced access to energy, food, and medicines. In effect, Gaza is the world's largest open air prison.

At this moment, we can only reaffirm our commitment in the strongest possible terms to continue mobilizing friends and allies in other progressive social movements to respond to the call by over 170 Palestinian civil society organizations for a comprehensive campaign of boycott, sanctions and divestment (BDS).

As H.E. Father Miguel D'Escoto Brockman, President of the United Nations General Assembly state in a recent speech: "More than twenty years ago we in the United Nations took the lead from civil society when we agreed that sanctions were required to provide a nonviolent means of pressuring South Africa to end its violations. Today, perhaps we in the United Nations should consider following the lead of a new generation of civil society, who are calling for a similar non-violent campaign of boycott, divestment and sanctions to pressure Israel to end its violations."

Join us on the streets tomorrow as people of conscience to stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people of Gaza and an end to Israeli apartheid.

Organized by:
Solidarity for Palestinian Human Rights (SPHR) and Tadamon! Montreal

I got it from someone in Palestinians and Jews United (Paju) so assume they are attending as well.
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 12:36:37 AM »
Toronto Demo:

(please Forward far and wide)

I see the Muslim Association of Hamilton is taking part. Perhaps Hamiltonians could get a ride with them?

DEMONSTRATE AGAINST THE ISRAELI ASSAULT ON GAZA!

*WHEN: 2pm on Sunday December 28, 2008
*WHERE: Israeli Consulate, 180 Bloor St. W

The Coalition Against Isreali Apartheid (CAIA) joins with Palestine House,
the Canadian Arab Federation, Women in Solidarity with Palestine, Not in
our Name: Jewish Voices Opposing Zionism, and many other respected
organizations in Demonstrating against the assault on the people of Gaza.
CAIA is calling on all allies to respond with outrage to the latest
massacre of Palestinians by the Israeli apartheid regime. At least 200
Palestinians have been killed in the latest Israeli assault on the Gaza
Strip over the last 12 hours and the threat of further killings still
hangs heavily over the skies of Palestine.

This is the single largest massacre in Gaza since Israel illegally
occupied the area in 1967. The numbers of dead are mounting, especially as
the already limited medical supplies are running out due to the brutal
siege of Gaza since 2005.

While the Western media reports that the raids targeted Hamas
'operatives,' the dead include women, children and men in all areas of
life in Gaza. "Operation Cast Lead" has echoes of previous Israeli raids
into Gaza that have been characterized by indiscriminate attacks on
civilian population centers, mass detentions, violent house demolitions
and other forms of collective punishment. Such actions need to be strongly
and unconditionally condemned.

This attack comes just days after the so-called 'ceasefire' between Hamas
and Israel expired. During this alleged ceasefire, Isreal continued to
impose its brutal siege on Gaza, restricting the flow of aid, medical
supplies, fuel and other necessities of life into the territory. For the
past two years Gaza has been undergoing the daily violence of a
wide-ranging humanitarian catastrophe triggered by severely reduced access
to energy, food, and medicines. In effect, Gaza is the world's largest
open air prison. The UN and others in the international community
condemned the humanitarian disaster created by Israel's siege during the
time of this 'ceasefire'. Israel now claims that this operation is in
response to Hamas refusing to renew this sham of a ceasefire. Once again,
Israel is imposing collective punishment on the people of Gaza for
electing a Hamas government.

As people of conscience, CAIA members are particularly angered by the
Canadian government's on-going support for the Israeli apartheid regime -
including the intensification of bilateral military, political and
economic links between Canada and Israel. This latest massacre occurs in
the context of official Canadian complicity with and support for Israel's
illegal siege and starvation of the civilian population in Gaza.

At this moment, we can only reaffirm our commitment in the strongest
possible terms to continue mobilizing to respond to the call by over 170
Palestinian civil society organizations for a comprehensive campaign of
boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS). As H.E. Father Miguel D'Escoto
Brockman, President of the United Nations General Assembly state in a
recent speech: "More than twenty years ago we in the United Nations took
the lead from civil society when we agreed that sanctions were required to
provide a nonviolent means of pressuring South Africa to end its
violations. Today, perhaps we in the United Nations should consider
following the lead of a new generation of civil society, who are calling
for a similar non-violent campaign of boycott, divestment and sanctions to
pressure Israel to end its violations."

Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid
www.caiaweb.org
endapartheid@riseup.net

Demonstration Organized By:

Canadian Arab Federation
Palestine House
Women in Solidarity with Palestine (WSP)
Not In Our Name (NION): Jewish Voices Opposing Zionism
Muslim Association of Hamilton
International Jewish anti-Zionist Network – Toronto
Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid
Rosa Luxemburg

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 02:04:53 AM »
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 05:24:58 AM »
Heh. The thing is, mattt, when you cut loose, you do it articulately and with all facts in hand. Me, I read that guy rationalizing just about anything, including  genocide, and I just want to call him names. Note how he accuses even you of ad hominems when you're not doing that -- doesn't matter to him, of course. He will never stop making reality fit his prejudices.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 05:57:02 AM »
It's hard to take a guy seriously who in one comment posts stupid spelling flames and in the next complains about ad hominems  :roll:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
Winnipeg!

(still nothing about Ottawa - bizarre - vicky or dBO, heard anything? )

===================

SATURDAY, JANUARY 3, 2009
2 PM * MANITOBA LEGISLATURE
WINNIPEG, MANITOBA
PROGRAM/SPEAKERS: TBA
===================
As of this writing, more than 200 Palestinians have been killed in Israel’s latest assault on the Gaza Strip and its peoples, together with lasting threats of bloodshed hanging heavily over the skies in Palestine as Israel vows further, violent actions.
Indeed, Israel’s December 27, 2008 attacks represent the single largest slaughter in Gaza since Israel illegally occupied the area in 1967 — this, as the numbers of dead innocents and civilians (including children) continue to mount following today's (Dec. 28/08) massacre.
Israel's military operation, entitled “Cast Lead,” echoes previous Israeli raids into Gaza, which have been characterized by indiscriminate attacks on civilian population centres, mass detentions, violent house demolitions and other forms of collective punishment against the Palestinian people.

*** Please note that Saturday’s rally will additionally address the Provincial and Federal governments’ total support towards illegally occupying Israel — best exemplified by way of increased bilateral military, political and nation-to-nation economic links.
Israel's latest massacre in Gaza occurs with official Canadian complicity towards Israel's illegal siege and ongoing sanctions over the civilian population in Gaza. Over the past two years, the Gaza Strip has undergone the daily violence of a wide-ranging humanitarian catastrophe triggered by severely reduced access to energy, food, and medicines.

IN EFFECT, GAZA REMAINS THE WORLD’S LARGEST OPEN-AIR PRISON.

At this moment, we MUST reaffirm our commitment in the strongest possible terms in support of mobilizing friends and allies in other progressive social movements to respond to the call by over 170 Palestinian civil society organizations for a comprehensive campaign of boycott, sanctions and divestment (BDS).
http://www.bdsmovement.net/
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT