Author Topic: McCain leftover bits.  (Read 3214 times)

deBeauxOs

McCain leftover bits.
« on: December 13, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »
:evil:  Okay, so this is about the McCain for president campaign, both threads about the US elections are locked and this is not relevant to the Obama thread.  So: new thread.  :?

From CC at Canadian Cynic:
Apparently, those new-fangled thingamajigs are tricky. Well, darn it. Who knew those fancy doohickeys could still have stuff on them?
 :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

deBeauxOs

Re: McCain leftover bits.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 12:03:23 PM »
A rare moment of self-deprecation from McCain: "My corpse is still warm."

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:37:33 PM »
:rotfl:
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 06:44:52 PM »
McCain stands up for Obama, while D-Day (who also posts @ Digby's pad) abso-fucking-lutely nails it:

On the issues McCain is a pretty doctrinaire Republican, as he showed in the campaign. But the reason he infuriates the right the way Lieberman infuriates liberals is because he's willing to go on large stages and undercut the official party line, and bash Republicans. He didn't dare do this for two years when he was trying to get elected President, but now that's over and McCain is back, largely for the same reasons as Lieberman - it keeps his face on TV and he gets some glory from the Beltway chattering class. In this sense he can be a real asset to Obama, though it's purely for selfish reasons on McCain's part.
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

transplant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 01:12:01 PM »
I just noticed this new term being used on a US blog: Republisaur.
I think it fits them very well.
Hope has met reality

deBeauxOs

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 04:47:57 PM »
From the Christian Science Monitor:
One key factor in McCain’s defeat was the impact of a highly unpopular White House incumbent. “People had substantial and serious concerns about whether [Obama] was really ready to be president,” McInturff said. “You give Americans a choice between a proven failure and the unknown future, and they will pick the unknown future, whatever their doubts or concerns. They will say I don’t know for sure but I know that didn’t work and I will try something new.”
Interesting take - the source is the top Republican pollster.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 08:12:51 PM »
For those still interested in the Palin train wreck, there's this and that.  All others avert their eyes.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 06:15:59 PM »
Blame Canada! Are these guys getting all their intel from South Park?

McCain defends Napolitano :

"Well, some of the 9-11 hijackers did come through Canada, as you know," McCain, last year's Republican presidential candidate, said on Fox News on Friday.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
And he said it on Faux News. It won't matter whether he corrects the error later -- it's out there, among the wingnuts.  :rant:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 06:33:34 PM »
You know there have been at least 3 recent bits (can't remember them all) with Americans sticking their nose in Canada's business, what's up with that?

Some U.S. General saying to send our Hornets to AFghanistan, something else and now this. It's on purpose.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:00:13 AM »
The part that scares me beyond reason is the ultimate fact of the last election.

2 disastrous wars with no end in sight.  Massive, mind boggling deficits with no idea how to stop the carnage.  An economy that is in freefall, directly as a result of the policies most loudly espoused by the republican incumbent and his party.  Katrina and the utter failure of their government to help anyone that needed helping.

All of that, and then a barely functional dinosaur of a candidate.  And Sarah Palin, ferfucksakes.  All of that on one side of the ledger.  

On the other side of the ledger you see a candidate representing a party that, when last in power, oversaw the only budget surpluses of the past 40 years (I know, but still).  One of the most articulate, charismatic candidates to come along in a generation (or two).  A huge groundswell of support for Obama and his party.  Enthusiasm, orgiastic joy in the streets.

And 52% of the vote.  With all of that, Mcain almost won.  48% of the adults who voted voted Republican.

Obama's win was a perfect storm.  Like almost any incumbent, he has nowhere to go but downhill in support as we all get disillusioned.  And it isn't far down - 2% - before the republisaurs are back in.  And I have a feeling they won't let themselves be beaten again.

Now, if the US wants to drown in its own swill that's their business - my sadness comes from the inevitable spillover the rest of the world will be left to deal with.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 12:52:36 AM »
Yeah. I think the man has got some really bad advisors and he's out of his pond. His administration is still not even facing up to the problems of the toxic assets that is at the heart of the financial crisis. Very stern pundits today. From Canada/Europe/Asia, testing the worlds patience. I think the world's problems have rushed ahead of our present electoral set-ups, they literally can't handle it anymore. Something's gotta give and when whatever that is happens, I hope all parties here and there, work together to actually give out really decent ideas, if they don't, we're fucked.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT