Author Topic: On being a happy warrior  (Read 3748 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
On being a happy warrior
« on: December 15, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »
The last few weeks -- the last few months, really -- ok, the last eight years  ;)  -- have been a really intense and mostly frustrating time for a lot of us.

That we should still have to argue over some things that seem so basic to many of us -- Harper doesn't have the confidence of the HoC; we didn't elect him president; people who voted NDP or Bloc are not second-class citizens; Tasers are the tools of authoritarians; tax cuts for the rich are not economic stimulus; and please feel free to add to that list -- is sometimes kind of depressing. Ok: it's very depressing. Why is it so bleeding hard to get even the most basic messages across about democracy and sheer human decency?

When I'm feeling that way (most of teh time), I occasionally think about those people I've admired in the past who knew all this but just carried on with the kinds of politics and activism that I admire, who didn't seem to get tired or depressed. The obvious example for anglo-Canadians is Tommy -- "Courage, my friends: it's not too late ..." But there are lots of people who work that way. The happy warriors.

Where do they get that from?

I know where it might come from intellectually. Read the social history of the West over a long period -- like, since the Renaissance -- and you can see that change does indeed happen, but it happens at glacial pace. Sometimes there seems a very sudden move in a population, but almost always you can see that that shift had been building for generations, for all kinds of reasons. Political revolutionaries don't necessarily make revolutions, iow, not unless the revolution is ready to be made.

So I know that, and I try to put my faith in that. I presume that the happy warriors are running on that understanding -- we do what we can, and never quit pushing for more.

And that keeps them cheerful. Why teh h**l doesn't it keep me cheerful?

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: On being a happy warrior
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
The late Léa Roback, definitely. And in a slightly quieter manner, Madeleine Parent.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
As good a place as any to park this ...

It's been a crappo Christmas. Family illness, my Mom taking a turn for the worse and my taking the momentous decision to end a relationship I should never have really been in for more than a summer, let alone for 6+ years. Stuck in Montreal, worried about breaking something while trudging through record snowfall detritus while walking J. It just goes on and on.

Totally burned and bummed out.

And yet I know it can get worse, health, finances, more.

So I will be grateful for what is good and look ahead hopefully to 2013, ready to keep fighting for what I know to be right is the best way I can, confident that the friends I have here (and elsewhere) feel the same.

Happy New Year. Venceremos.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »
Sorry about mom, but she needs you right now. Sorry about relationship too, that's gotta be weird (take that inside).

I'm a happier warrior after all. Ducked out of 2 invites tonight so I could gather myself or sumthin. At midnight treated to lots of fireworks both here (at the co-op next to me) and across the waters to ..... RochesterNY? I think, all up and down the coast of the lake both sides, really nice. And much to my daughter's disgust I'm a liddle bit in love with Hedley's lead singer  :o ::) :confused :crying
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:20:05 AM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 02:57:35 AM »
Sorry to hear about your mum and your partner, Antonia. I hope your mother rallies against the downturn and improves. It's so touch and go sometimes and that, in of itself, is so freaking stressful. As for personal heartache, what can I say other than I know it hurts even when you think it wasn't the be all and end all relationship.

2012 was the worst year in my life. At least cancer didn't strike officially but everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. This is the first New Year's night that I have ever stayed in as an adult. Closing this year did not merit getting dressed up and celebrating with friends.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:57:14 AM »
2012 wasn't my best year, but not my worse. My overall health declined quite a bit, but I didn't have any long hospital visits. 2013 will be a challenge.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 01:45:02 AM »
HERE'S TO ALL OF US HERE AND TO FRIENDS WHO USED TO BE HERE ...  :champagne :grouphug
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 08:51:14 AM »
Thanks for that, Antonia. I'm bracing myself, as I get older, for the loss of many friends and relatives I've known a long time.

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »
I second that, Antonia and Boom Boom. I'm sorry to hear that 2012 was not a great year for some of us.  sparqui, your description of 2012 was disheartening. I do hope things will be looking up in 2013.

Our challenges this past year mostly dealt with the changing life of an 18-year-old son. It's not the easiest age -- for any of us -- and I know you will thank me for not boring you with details!

As for me, as we were heading out on New Year's Eve, I hit a rogue patch of  ice at the top of our steps and took a tumble all the way to the sidewalk. I seemed to hit every imaginable part of my body. Fortunately and miraculously, nothing was broken. Dan helped me back into the house and after a decent interval, I decided that I could go and we went out as planned. We had a lovely evening but during the couple of hours at the table for dinner, I stiffened up and had a much harder time leaving the restaurant than I'd had arriving.

Since then, it's just been a matter of waiting out the aches, pains and stiffness. The bruising is dramatic. My entire right foot is black and blue -- the sides, over the top, even the toes. However, I'm managing to get around pretty normally, even if I feel somewhat fragile.

(And because people have asked, yes, the steps had been salted earlier in the day and yes, I was holding the railing!)

Yesterday, late in the day, we noticed light in the sky much later than it would have been even a week before. It's always encouraging to see the evidence of the days getting longer!

Here's to 2013, with fingers crossed. 

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »

Sharon's story reminds me of a harrowing thing that happened to me over 20 years ago. I had a lovely big flat on Casgrain, between Castelnau and Jean-Talon (basically the same neighbourhood as now, but just north of Jean-Talon Market, rather than just south). There was an ice storm - glare ice everywhere - and although I held on to the railing of the Montréal spiral staircase I flew very swiftly below, bumping everything on the way, just avoiding a whoosh into the busy street by turning hard upon myself. And I was younger then...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
Four years ago on Christmas Day I was enjoying dinner with friends, when suddely I had severe abdomen pain - which turned out to be my hernia making itself felt. I had to pick up the clinic nurse in my skidoo to get her to the clinic. When we were finished at the clinic, I went down the stairs - which were coated in ice from the rain the night before - and fell, and landed squarely on my back. I thought I broke something, but the nurse checked and I was actually okay.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 08:19:05 PM »
2012 was indeed a year best forgotten. Love to all dealing with difficulties.

Politically  I wish I saw better times on the horizon but I think we are doomed to serfdom if the general populace doesn't awaken before all rights, freedoms and ability to support ourselves is taken away.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 10:30:59 PM »
Well, here is more than a bit different in that respect, as we've seen a huge social movement, not just the students but the whole casseroles movement, of people fed up with all that shit.
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 10:36:58 AM »
Sharon, I hope you recover quickly.

Best wishes to all for a much better 2013.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 06:37:27 AM »
Oh shit! Toilet was flooding, early this morning after using it (quite happily...) and I panicked and fiddled with the stuff inside the reservoir - I broke the ceramic lid of the reservoir - well, one corner of it. But corner too much in little pieces to glue together. Will this cost a fortune to replace? Really put a damper on the morning...
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT