Author Topic: Now that's a new one  (Read 3719 times)

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Now that's a new one
« on: January 08, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »
I just saw an ad for a men's hair colouring product wherein a graying single dad's tween daughters present him with the hair colouring product and very grownup admonishments to find a female, whereupon he takes the advice to heart and starts dating with ungrayed hair and the two girls congratulate themselves in their well-appointed living room.

Moral of the story: Hair colouring---do it for your kids to find them a new mom.

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
Re: Now that's a new one
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »
LOL Mrs Bacchus (2 months as of last sat) had me do highlights and colour my goatee to attend her 20th high school reunion in small town PA a few months ago. Boy that was a interesting experience
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »
"Two minutes for looking so good"!

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »
So the Original Mom (TM) kicked this dude to the curb for shallow hair reasons?  Yeah right.

Not to mention that "the wife" :roll:  stereotypically likes a touch of grey... ;)

Mandos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 02:26:18 AM »
I didn't catch why the dude was single.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
Advert/TV commercial characters are scripted to be clueless.  That's a prime requirement for the pitch to work.  Can you imagine a character, when presented with a product to solve her/his cleaning problem, launching into a Lizzie May* diatribe?

Anyhoo, that Dad clearly 'lost' his wife, in that silly absent-minded way advert characters have: he must have left her somewhere, perhaps forgot her in Vegas when they were there last year, ... (make up your own commercial world backstory).

edited to add: *Lizzie May = TV commercial-inappropriate clueless.

drew.scott

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 04:53:35 AM »
I haven't started greying. Although I know I'm getting old as a lot of my friends are started to receed. It's a little scary but I find greying to suit men as they get older. You look a lot more respectable and appear a lot more wise lol. Not always the case though.
find out about clean coal and alternative energies at http://abetterenergyplan.ca

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »
I have some distinguished silver at the temples, and have had it since I was about 28.  I'm noticing some more salted about of late, which is unsurprising.

I have a genetic lottery.   Dad was white haired at 40, no salt & pepper, just white.  Grandma had white hair at 23 (the Blitz).  My mom has silver at the temples in her mid 60s, though I suspect colouring.

All that said, grey or white hair is the least of my worries.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 12:13:56 PM »
Well, at least you have hair!

I have a friend who was completely bald before 40; the "bowling-ball" look. He is more handsome now that he has reached 50; often a young face with no hair looks almost featureless.

That said, he is very charming, and not lacking for admirers.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 12:56:14 PM »
I saw that add and it disgusted me- the way the little girls where acting...little girls shouldn;t be match makers.
Make revolution- love your body

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »
Quote from: Audrey
I saw that add and it disgusted me- the way the little girls where acting...little girls shouldn;t be match makers.

Then don't read any romance novels, its the oft used plot for many a one. There are at least 40-50 harlequin novels out every month for example, and using little children as matchmakers (or teens) would be at least 10 of those. And thats a fraction of the romance novels that come out every month.
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »
And it does happen in real life as well. Kid thinks parent is lonely, or want a new mum or dad around, or both. Much better than having the kids hate the newcomer to a blended fambly.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
I mean, there's Disney movie complete with sequel and remake, The Parent Trap.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 05:03:34 PM »
Sleepless in Seattle was a somewhat implausible version of the story too.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »
In the adult child/parent matchmaking category however, nothing quite surpasses the urbane silliness of that scene in "Must Love Dogs" when the happenstance singled Diane Lane character who's been nagged and browbeaten by her sisters into using an internet dating service meets the mystery man of her dreams .... her widowed father, played by Christopher Plummer.

Return To TAT