Author Topic: George Galloway banned from Canada  (Read 16184 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: George Galloway banned from Canada
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
The Randstad (the big agglomeration including Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht is VERY multicultural). Sure there are Dutch villages and some remote towns (but not university towns) where most people are blond, blue-eyed, pink-hued and EXTREMELY tall, but most of the population lives in the Randstad. And even the smaller places need their Turkish (or sometimes Greek) restaurant, their pizzeria, their Chinese food...

Antonia, Calvinist, not Lutheran (though of course there are some Lutherans, especially near the German border, and a fair number of Catholics). Dutch Reform: same Protestant strain as the Scottish Presbyterians, and the Swiss... Calvinists.

Dutch Calvinists invented the Flessenlikker (Bottle Licker), a little wooden or plastic utensil devised to get every last bit of vla (thin custard THEY eat at breakfast) jam or other substance out of a jar or bottle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_scraper

Diet plays a big part in the height - many Dutchpeople of other origins get just about as tall after a couple of generations.

Edited to add:

Thanks Antonia. I read that back then, but it (alas) remains current. There was an economist on The Current the other day saying families here should have more babies. His argument wasn't racist, but it was certainly both anti-environmental and anti-feminist.

Is that true about Muslim immigrants to Britain? They are probably recent. People of Maghrebi origin in France have seen their average birthrate decline practically to that of the average "pur porc" French family. I have Algerian friends in Paris who say Black West Africans (Senegalese, Malians etc) have too many babies. (They are relative newcomers, and more disadvantaged).

Of course Mark Steyn conveniently forgets that the same was said about "ghetto" Eastern European Jews - not only by Christians but also by Jews of Germanic origin, who were better integrated in North America, Britain and France and saw themselves as "classier".

And nowadays there are the Chassidim... (whom my secular or "Mainstream" Jewish friends thoroughly despise).

As for people in Gaza, that is a paradoxical reaction to distress, being starved and shot at. Postwar DP camps, especially the ones housing Holocaust survivors, had the highest birthrate in the world in the late 1940s. The same has occurred more recently among other decimated populations, unrelated by "blood", religion or ethnicity.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:46:28 PM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »
This may be a bit more of a deviation from the original thread - but "Hold on, thar, Quick Draw."

All this demographic talk about age bombs and such is a tad off line. Meditate on the concept of an aged population. Aged? Who is aged? You mean the experienced, tried and passed members of your society?

Aged? Does life end at 65? 70? I have worked with many people of that age and above, as indeed I shall hit 65 this year, who's workout put is equal or better than those younger. (I will gladly put my work output against anyone 2 or three generations my junior.)

Perhaps the more experienced do not have the stamina they used to have (where-da-fuck do you think experience comes from, dummie  :mad2 ) - but in many cases it is not needed. If you have been there, done that and you can accomplish your goals without many needless probings into negative pathways.

Begone with your imaginings that an older demographic will badly impact upon productivity - rejoice that you finally have a workforce that is talented, experienced and dedicated.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »
"U.S." policy saysBritish human rights activist/Gitmo detainee denied entry to Canada, scared of plane being diverted to the U.S.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/994892--british-human-rights-activist-denied-entry-to-canada
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2011, 01:10:42 AM »
Further to Toe :
Yes, Moazzam Begg denied a London to Toronto direct flight.
Begg said airline agents told him Canada’s High Commission in London informed them the issue was one of security. “They said to me the reason why they would not board me and take me to Canada is because, in the unlikely event they were rerouted to America, there could be a security concern,

Interesting because Canada's High Commission in London was also involved in barring George Galloway from Canada, and more recently because of being named in this WikiLeaks cable:

confirming Jean Chretien and General Walt Natynczyk's covert complicity in the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
Then Foreign Affairs official James Wright, now Canada's High Commissioner in London :
 <blockquote>"emphasized" that contrary to public statements by the prime minister, Canadian naval and air forces could be "discreetly" put to use during the pending U.S.-led assault on Iraq and its aftermath. </blockquote> 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:14:30 AM by Alison »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2011, 04:06:19 PM »
Caplan comments in the Globe - Demonizing Muslims: To What End?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/second-reading/gerald-caplan/demonizing-muslims-to-what-end/article2135372/singlepage/#articlecontent

The politicians and much media have a lot to answer for with this issue. But after the riots in Britain I shudder to think about what could happen this weekend in Britain.

http://www.presstv.com/detail/194648.html

The English Defense League is to counter-march and apparently w/o any police intervention.

Analysts believe that UK authorities, media, and anti-Muslim campaigns have been inflaming anti-Muslim prejudice by criticizing and even declaring open season on Muslims. The so-called prejudice has apparently changed to systematic and open state discrimination in the country. [/font]
The sudden formation and rise of the racist and anti-Muslim group, English Defence League (EDL) that is against the spread of Islam and Sharia law, is the result of politicians and the media encouraging Islamophobia across Britain.

Consequently, insulting, ignoring, and caricaturing Islam and Muslim communities is considered as being acceptable, since they judge these defaming ways as part of culture, not racism.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:06:51 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
Moazzam Begg, released from Guantanamo five years ago, flies from Paris to Montreal last week, is apprehended off plane, questioned by CSIS, given choice of detention or deportation.
Begg welcomed in France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Sweden, Norway, Spain, Slovakia, Poland, South Africa, Kenya, Malaysia, Iran, Pakistan, UAE, Lebanon, Egypt, Tunisia, Sudan, and Libya for his work against rendition and torture.
Guardian :Why is Canada acting like a Guantánamo Bay camp guard?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:41:49 PM by Alison »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »
Please don't come to Britain – it rains and the jobs are scarce and low-paid. Ministers are considering launching a negative advertising campaign in Bulgaria and Romania to persuade potential immigrants to stay away from the UK. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/27/uk-immigration-romania-bulgaria-ministers]
[/size]
UK emulating Canada? Kenney put up Billboards in Hungary
:mad2 Racist dogs!
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1320361--roma-refugees-canadian-billboards-in-hungary-warn-of-deportation

In Lockstep.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:36:16 PM by Toedancer »

Return To TAT