Author Topic: BC provincial election May 12 2009  (Read 2734 times)

Zastrozzi

• View Profile
BC provincial election May 12 2009
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:48:58 PM »
With a couple of weeks before the BC election campaign officially starts, it's hard to predict how it'll go. Most recent polls have shown the Liberals holding a substantial lead, but a few have shown the NDP tied with them or ahead. Campbell faces questions about his personal connections to the province's sale of BC Rail as new information comes to light in the course of the criminal trial arising from that sale.

By this point in the NDP's tenure in the 1990s (and I won't try to defend Glen Clark's record here), there was a general consensus among the opposition, the media, the general public and even large parts of the NDP that it had become lazy, cynical, tired and corrupt while in power. That's probably typical of two-term governments, and in BC we hate to do things by half measures. It's certainly true of the Liberals, although they're getting an easier ride in the mainstream media than the NDP did (except from some columnists like Vaughn Palmer, who struggles to explain to the public what a lot of people working in government already understand - that the legend of the Liberals being fiscally responsible and tough on issues like crime does not stand up to scrutiny).

Campbell himself is an odd politician. Things like the BC Rail scandal and his own drunk-driving conviction just don't seem to have stuck to him. Perhaps like McGuinty, his relative meekness and blandness work to his advantage in a province that's had its share of type-A personalities in charge. At the same time, he's a highly successful control freak who is probably the main thing holding the Liberals together. I think Carole James has done a better job as NDP leader than a lot of people give her credit for, likewise keeping a big-tent party from flying apart in opposition, and has learned enough in six years as leader that she'd make a competent premier.

Competence in itself would be an impressive trait in a premier. Campbell manages to project the illusion of competence, but we're paying the price for the mess he's made behind the scenes.

[Edited to change "incompetence" to "competence" - d'oh!]

Zastrozzi

• View Profile
Re: BC provincial election May 12 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »
In the first week of the campaign: A few prominent environmentalists criticize the NDP's opposition to the carbon tax, including Saint-Suzuki-of-the-Perpetual-Soundbite and Tzeporah Berman, described in media reports as a "longtime NDP supporter." Berman's opinion is certainly relevant by virtue of her long track record in the BC environmental movement. So it's a bit puzzling why the newspapers would feel the need to exaggerate her links to the NDP, as other media outlets have pointed out that Berman was in the NDP for only a few years after having been a member of the Greens before that. (Public Eye Online; Tyee) As far as I'd known until reading the stories the other day, she still was in the Greens.

Campbell has described this as the most important election in a generation. I'd like to agree with him. I assume he's referring to elections like those of 1952, 1972 and 1991, every 20 years or so, where voters threw out a corrupt and complacent government. I guess he also doesn't see his own election in 2001 as significant, and I think he might be right there as well. Ten or 20 years from now, what are people going to remember Gordon Campbell for? Cynical stunts have a pretty short political half-life. Even when another politican recycles them, most people don't remember that someone's tried them before.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
http://www.desmogblog.com/ has many articles supporting the BC Liberals' proposed carbon tax and opposing the BC NDP because of their opposition to such a tax.  Desmogblog says it's not Liberal bias, but the importance to them of that particular issue.  I'm not sure of that; but there are a lot of interesting arguments about that issue.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »
I've lost all respect for the NDP.

It's one thing after another after another, since James became leader (though the erosion began long before that). I don't support their Axe the Tax campaign. I don't support James' insistence that a candidate apologize for purportedly misapplying the word 'Zionism'. I don't support James' refusal to endorse BC-STV.

... Speaking of which, I find it telling that the proponents who are heading the campaign against electoral reform in BC are well-known NDP pundits and insiders, David Schreck and Bill Tieleman.

ETA: This just in on my Google news reader on James and the Zionism issue.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »
Well, I just voted.  

STV - Yes (oh god yes)

And then I surprised myself by voting for the Green candidate.  In the last decade I have voted almost exclusively NDP, and have even been donating to them for years upon years.  But I really did not like what they did with the carbon tax.

Not that it's a perfect policy, far from it, and their proposals may be better.  But what they were doing was making any action on climate change a danger zone for all politicians.  And that just won't wash.  I suppose if it was a legitimate opposition, but it mostly just appeared to be a calculated opposition - trading a few enviro votes to win some ridings up north.  Calculating my vote out of the equation.

The BC NDP have repeatedly calculated the  environment out in their electoral maneuvering.  Glen Clark even used environmentalists as boogeymen at one point.  So I voted Green, to my own amazement.

(Though there isn't much danger of the NDP losing this riding - it's been NDP/CCF since the dirty thirties, federally and provincially).

Now I need to think about whether I am going to change my party membership as well.  Not if I have to join the federal greens too...
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
Poor B.C.  :(  This doesn't bode well for the rest of the country.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:55:36 PM »
This is just an instance of the Canadian tendency towards political inertia, that way surpasses e.g. the American tendency, which is why I view Canadian claims of political progressiveness with a jaundiced eye.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »
There is that. Let's face it, lumping the referendum in with the election was a big bonus for the B.C. Liberals. They should have been separated, so the afeared could become educated properly, without the dwama. But that is just too fair and too logical for the poli's who can't abide having any power eliminated from them.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
I have not been keeping up, pls. forgive me. WTF is happening Wally OPal's riding? The man who defended the rcmp in Dziekanski's death?  2 votes, puuleease?

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 08:18:49 AM »
Toe : It will go to a recount in about 10 days.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »
Wally Opal loses seat to Independent Vicki Huntington.  :applause:

NDP loses seat to a Liberal in the recount.

Return To TAT