Author Topic: Sheikh UAE tortures man/scuttles nuclear deal with U.S.  (Read 1847 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Sheikh UAE tortures man/scuttles nuclear deal with U.S.
« on: May 01, 2009, 01:39:56 PM »
Video: UAE torture recording threatens to derail nuclear deal with United States

The 45-minute tape shows a man that the Government of Abu Dhabi has acknowledged is Sheikh Issa bin Zayed al-Nahyan — one of 22 royal brothers of the UAE President and Abu Dhabi Crown Prince — mercilessly and repeatedly beating a man with a cattle prod and a nailed board, burning his genitals and driving his Mercedes over him several times. He is assisted by a uniformed policeman.

Pretty explosive!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Re: Sheikh UAE tortures man/scuttles nuclear deal with U.S.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
One of the comments apparently blames it on being an "Islamic state" when it is actually an absolute monarchy *facepalm*.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »
No matter what the formal government is called - once they are exposed to public scrutiny all torturers and their supporters seem to use the same playbook. It begins with the famous (from Colin Thatcher):"Deny. Deny. Deny." - or"America Does not Torture".. The UAE authorities, for this case, stick to Bush's claim: all interrogation techniques used by the United States are lawful.- by claiming:
They also added that UAE police had followed all their rules and regulations properly.

This does not last long in the face of mountain evidence, both in the US and UAE  the deed becomes the actions of a few bad apples and they (the authorities), in righteous indignation say, as in the Guardian story:
 The government "unequivocally condemns the actions depicted on the video",

The American government departs from the pattern when it tries to claim that what it has done (and is doing ?) is really not torture, anyway.
In Washington DC, Guantanamo Bay and Afghanistan, plans were drawn up that would change the nature of interrogation policy at Abu Ghraib, allowing for new methods that were previously considered off-limits. John Yoo is a legal scholar who helped re-define the term "torture" for the Bush White House.
in a very Karl Rovian way.

The sociopathic response of blaming the victim:
"I don't see why we ought to follow a policy that was created for wars between nation states that follow the laws of war when we're fighting an opponent that violates all the laws of war."  
is close to:  
Lawyers for Issa in America have attacked Nabulsi's motivations, accusing him of waging a media campaign. In a statement last week, Issa's lawyer, Daryl Bristow, said: "When all the facts are known, the one-sided story being told by Nabulsi will be completely addressed and Nabulsi will be discredited."

Next I expect some kind of show trial that will demonstrate how justice lives there and how the 'peace loving people of (fill in the blank) rejoice that this blot upon their previously unsullied record has been expunged'.

I also expect the UAE will also add .... (from one torturer to another) "Now that this aberration has been cleared up, wadda 'bout those nukes?  :mrgreen:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »
Saudi sheikh Slut Shames Babies/burkas for babies fatwa  Because babies are so fucking sexy the undeveloped depraved male simply can't control themselves, OMFG! Now I realize this is just one very backward and ugly sheikh out of millions, but I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL EVERY DROP OF OIL IS GONE! so I don't have to read anything about those deranged, vacuous, shallow, superficial, suggestible baby golden boys ever again. Their sexual deviant culture can die for all I care.  :mad2
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT