Author Topic: John Adams  (Read 631 times)

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
John Adams
« on: May 16, 2009, 01:05:08 PM »
Been watching the HBO miniseries John Adams.  Very good, I must say, and remarkable restraint by HBO is saving the xtreme gore until the middle of the series.  (HBO usually wants to open with gratuitous blood.)  They also managed to avoid the gratuitous sex so far---I mean, we're talking 18C Bostonians here.  I don't doubt we'll see it when Charles Adams grows up.  

Both Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney play very well as John and Abigail Adams.  To its credit, they spend a reasonable fraction of the movie portraying Abigail, who we know excelled even under the limitations placed on women at the time.  John is portrayed as a man who believed in law and a well-ordered society---but also liberty.  His involvement as portrayed really begins when he realizes that the latter is prerequisite of the former and that while there was a case for the colonies to absorb a large tax burden, the King's tactics made him both lawless and an offender against human dignity.  It's so far done a good job of showing both the flaws and hypocrisies of the colonists as well as their courage.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: John Adams
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »
I enjoyed the series very much last winter. But I must confess I was very jealous. To be involved and playing a part, from the lowliest to the highest, in forming rights and liberties and seeing new action on a daily basis, from scratching out a living while having high ideals. The series emphasized for me the utter drudgery of present times. Taxes and dignity, ha!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT