Author Topic: Panic and creativity  (Read 1455 times)

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Panic and creativity
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:46:57 PM »
I have a terrible habit.  I am just not really that productive until the last minute.  This is probably bad in a lot of ways, including health.  I end up stressed out after a deadline for the work I put in before.  But the creative juices flow best when I am at least slightly terrified.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Re: Panic and creativity
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:05:07 AM »
I'm the same way.  If I have 9 hours to do something and it will take me 8 hours, I will goof off for an hour.  

Short term you can accomplish incredible feats of productivity by having multiple enormous deadlines.  Not sustainable - I tested this practice to near destruction (of self) in my last job.  I published more in a year than most do in 5, but after 5 years I was on the brink.  

Or you can learn to be comfortable with productivity and however it comes to you.  I really enjoyed my time at university because I was able to 'not worry'.  Know how long something will take, then enjoy yourself until it's time to get busy.  Then work very hard - as you no doubt do.

Current office culture exploits deadline productivity tendencies to the extreme.  There is no conversation more  boring than the 'I'm really busy' conversation.  And yet people bring it out all the time.  Sometimes it's all they can think about therefore talk about, and other times it is a status thing (I'm looking at you, non-profit workaholics).
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Panic and creativity
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:42:57 AM »
I am just not really that productive until the last minute.

How I arrive at the last moment is my problem. My mind is more discursive than focused - and if I am looking for something all manner of other things seem to achieve an importance that in retrospect they lose.

The other day I was looking about for some things on the MAPLE reactor cancelling. (It concerns my profession.) During the process I happened upon a mention of some girl in NYC who killed a kitten. OMG was that important! I researched that for a quite a while. Naturally, when that was exhausted there was no time left for the original subject. Looking back I see that the MAPLE investigations I was doing are far more important - (unfortunately) stories such as the one of the kitten killing are easy to find on the net.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT