Author Topic: Feminism?  (Read 7826 times)

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Feminism?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 12:14:48 PM »
Debra said:
The annual bra burning brought the fire department

Shit. Did I leave before the firemen came? How come I miss all the fun?
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 01:03:26 PM »
I just wanted to say that I've been smiling about 'ad homonym attacks' all morning.  Now if only I could find a way to use it in my day to day conversations.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Cale

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »
If you have questions for me on my ideology I'm more than willing to share them with you; I don't care about answering questions. If you really feel that the search for knowledge and information is that much of an affront to your beliefs or your ego, please reconsider your life.

Also, a quick bit to Debra, you're the type of person that I described when I said there are people who remove any legitimacy to feminism. If you're going to demand equality (which you should), you don't do it by throwing a tantrum and acting like a hurt 3 year old.

If you have honest answers to my questions, fine, if not, I'll take this as a lesson that all (because you used conservative generalisations on me first) feminists are assholes, they don't want to support their ideology with any iota of logic or reason, they scream and bitch, and when they don't get their way they just plug their ears.

I wasn't coming here to start a fight, or get up anyone's ass, but you certainly made it clear to me that my opinion wasn't worthwhile and that my attitude was unwelcome. You people made the first move every time to either: take what I said and disassemble it into the most heinous thing you could think of, or to entirely ignore what I said and instead just shit all over me.

Cale

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »
Quote from: arborman
I just wanted to say that I've been smiling about 'ad homonym attacks' all morning.  Now if only I could find a way to use it in my day to day conversations.

Right, I made a spelling error, thanks for pointing that out. Would you prefer that I resort to ad hominem for the remainder of my time here?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 01:11:59 PM »
Keep acting like a prat and the rest of your "time" will be quite short.

Did you read the link provided 5 things just above?

Unlikely. Providing further proof you are just here to piss in the corner and then wonder what everyone is so upset about.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Cale

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »
Quote from: arborman
Maybe I'll head on over to a conservative board somewhere and demand they explain the basic principles of conservatism to me.  I'll start by framing it as 'you are all such whiners about taxes and so bossy about what people do with their own selves, but I want you to explain why that is so.'

Then, when they get cranky, I will put on offended airs.  How could they be so rude?  It must be true that conservatives are a bunch of whinging mama's boys and a few self hating women.  Well, of all the nerve!  All I wanted was for them all to take several hours of their time explaining themselves to me, so I could nitpick and pretend like I gave a damn.

Or maybe I'll just go to bed.

I didn't say anything near as rude to any of you as you have been saying to me, please stop. As I have repeated over and over and over, I just want to talk about it.

And for the record everyone, I didn't frame anything, you are all so touchy about someone who doesn't think exactly like you, that you're eager to rip apart what I say to destroy my validity, so much so in fact that you won't even consider the ideas that you're reading.

I'm TRYING to make the effort, I'm not trying to come in here and bash the shit out of all of you, nor was I trying to troll your board. By your own actions you have condemned me to what you want the least. You have forced me to argue with you about trivial subjects rather than what matters. Your community is arranged in such a way that no person could come here and just talk, you have to either be a firm supporter of your way of thinking or be considered a troll.

Is it so hard to comprehend that people who don't think like you can be reasonable people too?

Cale

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »
Quote from: Debra
Keep acting like a prat and the rest of your "time" will be quite short.

Did you read the link provided 5 things just above?

Unlikely. Providing further proof you are just here to piss in the corner and then wonder what everyone is so upset about.

Sorry, I didn't have all night to formulate my personal attacks.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 01:17:23 PM »
and again did you read the link above to the thread in which a number of people post about what feminism means to them?

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »
Don't know where to put this....

From Pam Spaulding's blog, Burger King ad shoves 7-incher in her face so she can have it their way.

There's a BK near me. I very rarely treat myself but when I do, it's usually with a BK veggie burger. Won't be doing that anymore.

Am terrible at blogging issues like this; the rage fogs up my brain. Am hoping some one or more BnR bloggers might lead the charge.

Cale

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 01:24:19 PM »
Actually I did, but it still doesn't address my initial questions, all it does is explain a few instances where feminism could or could not be the leading factor in the development of these women. I can understand that it certainly contributed, but there's no way for certain that you can just "chalk one up for feminism" in those cases.

Cale

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 01:28:50 PM »
Quote from: BCseawalker
Don't know where to put this....

From Pam Spaulding's blog, Burger King ad shoves 7-incher in her face so she can have it their way.

There's a BK near me. I very rarely treat myself but when I do, it's usually with a BK veggie burger. Won't be doing that anymore.

Am terrible at blogging issues like this; the rage fogs up my brain. Am hoping some one or more BnR bloggers might lead the charge.

This is a perfect example of what I consider to be sexism.

To everyone in this topic:

How would this ad affect you if it was referring to gay men instead of straight women?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
How would this affect me? Me personally? Obviously I would take my lead from gay men if it was directed at them. However, on first blush I would find it offensive.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
But it isn't directed at gay men, and wouldn't be.

It also isn't directed at women, if by directed you mean meant to appeal to them.

It is directed to anyone uncool enough to get off on it or to think that it's funny, and I think it's a pretty safe bet that that means straight males of the har-de-har persuasion.

That it ran in Singapore is also disturbing. Planeloads of overprivileged straight white European and North American males heading for sex tourism in Southeast Asia -- yeah. So much for Burger King.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »
Here's the thing, dear.

When you move into a community and want to meet the neighbours, you do it over the fence, while walking the dog, from the porch, between the driveways. Maybe you would approach one or two people and introduce yourself.

You don't march in and put up a giant billboard VALID COMMUNITY? and then proceed to circulate flyers or use a megaphone truck or whatever demanding that residents explain themselves, why they live there, who they vote for and what they think of gays ... and then expect them to pop in with cookies and lemonade and gossip about each other.

You don't react defensively when the residents regard you with suspicion and resentment, wondering why you are here and WTF you want.

Get it?

BTW: What kind of college course has papers due right now over July 1 and 4 holidays???

Finally, note to self and others: Cale is a troll. Ignore it. (I also suspect that, judging from a shift in sentence structure and the improvement in grammar, more than one troll is involved.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Cale

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 02:52:33 PM »
I didn't say that it was directed at anyone, I asked if it was referring to gay men instead of straight women. So my question still stands, how would this affect you if you knew it was made by gay men and was meant for other gay men?

Where do you draw the line in terms of what's OK in sexuality? What about bruno? What about countless other things that are made to entice sexuality in anyone other than straight men? If your answer is anything other than the sharp indignation you had for this, then I'll be lead to believe that feminism isn't about equality but rather about demanding a matriarchal system instead of a patriarchal one.

Perhaps we should discuss what you think the world would be like if our society was matriarchal instead? Do you see yourselves as being the brutish overlords that males are portrayed as? What would be different in the ideal feminist world?

Return To TAT