Author Topic: Help- translation !  (Read 3848 times)

Audrey

• View Profile
Help- translation !
« on: July 01, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
How would you translate the last two phrases in this sentence :

Toutes les participantes avaient une idée en tête : faire comprendre au monde entier que, non, le féminisme n’est pas mort, qu’il se renouvelle constamment, qu’il prend de l’ampleur et qu’il fait des petites autour de lui.
Make revolution- love your body

deBeauxOs

Re: Help- translation !
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
How urgent is it?  I can give it a try, though it would be much better if someone like Antonia gave a final polish to this rough attempt at French to English translation.

All participants shared one thought: to convey to the world at large that feminism is not dead, that it renews itself constantly, that it is growing and that it is producing offsprings all around.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 03:27:47 PM »
All the participants had one idea in mind: To make the whole world understand that, no, feminism is not dead, that it constantly reinvents/renews itself, that it gains strength and ( that it produces offshoots.

That's literal.

I would say something like:

Everybody there shared one goal: To make the whole world understand that feminism has not died. In fact, it constantly evolves, grows and even generates other movements.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
it's for a feminist document for tomorrow morning so I was wary of putting the word offspring in within the context of the document. Thanks !

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »
Why? Do feminists have a problem with offspring?  :lol:
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:07:48 PM »
No- I hope not !
got another one for ya : theatre feministe d'impacte

what is that and how do you translate it ? feminist impact theatre !

deBeauxOs

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »
If anything, the word offshoot would be more objectionable than offspring, no?   :whis:

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 04:26:13 PM »
LOL !

(Edited for bad taste )

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 05:24:41 PM »
how do you say likes helping others- aime rendre assistance au autres ?

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »
translation help - how would you translate this ? it's referring to a movement rally. I can;t think for the life of me how to say it all in English.

C’est ce qui en a fait sa force, ce qui a permis aux jeunes femmes de s’y identifier puisqu’elles l’ont façonné à leur image.

and also "pousser des ailes"

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »
Hi Audrey - to do it justice, I'd need a bit more context, but it would sound something like:
"that is what makes it so strong, what lets young women identify with it - because they've created it to resemble their own lives/outlook/problems/etc." (Of course, not knowing what "it" refers to is a handicap in translating...)

Pousser des ailes - literally, to sprout wings, needs an English metaphor to describe the process of growing up, becoming confident and mature or finding a special motivation. I'm at a bit of a loss, brain is tired right now.

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »
"taking flight "wouldn;t do it, would it ? Here'a sentence- it's about a young feminists rally- I think it would refer to motivating more : C’est ce qui a fait pousser des ailes (selon la terminologie belge) à des centaines de jeunes femmes partout au pays.

As for the other- that's just about perfect.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 06:52:39 AM »
Hi Audrey, I'm really tired as well (and up at the computer at 6am, working on a huge rush) but I'm wondering if you couldn't use "empowerment", "empower" - though I like the wings. Roots and wings, eh?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Audrey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »
There's imagery of roots and wings etc throughout the document- which makes it very good in French but a bitch to translate- I'd ask my Mom who was trained as a l=translator but she doesn't now feminist terminology.. I think I'll have to use some variation of taking flight.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »
Is there an idiomatic expression in French that corresponds to "an elephant in the room"? Or do you just say "Il y a un éléphant dans la chambre"?

Return To TAT