Author Topic: Organic food is no healthier, study finds  (Read 1737 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Organic food is no healthier, study finds
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:20:10 AM »
I think this study misses the point that organic is about less pesticide use, less "factory farming" and more local eating.

LONDON - Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over ordinary food, according to a major study published Wednesday.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers were paying higher prices for organic food because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007.

http://www.canada.com/health/Organic+fo ... story.html
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Re: Organic food is no healthier, study finds
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:31:32 AM »
There are a surprising number of people I've met who believe that by eating organic, though, they are eating superior-quality health food---rather than having merely environmentalist motivations.

Catchfire

• View Profile
    • http://blindmanwithapistol.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:16:27 PM »
I have never heard anyone say that they chose organic food because they thought it had more nutritional value. By 'health-benefits', I've always thought they meant they didn't want to be ingesting growth hormones, pesticides and other chemicals injected into 'conventionally' (i.e. freakishly) grown food. This is aside from the environmental influence, of course, and the fact that organic food just tastes better. This article sounds like a smear job to me.

Besides, local before organic anyway!

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:00:24 PM »
Though many people I know say 'yummy' when they eat organic, I mostly eat it for environmental reasons (when I can afford it).
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
  Study debunks myths on organic farms

By Paul Hanley, Special to The StarPhoenix September 27, 2011

excerpt:

The results are in from a 30-year side-by-side trial of conventional and organic farming methods at Pennsylvania's Rodale Institute. Contrary to conventional wisdom, organic farming outperformed conventional farming in every measure.

There are about 1,500 organic farmers in Saskatchewan, at last count. They eschew the synthetic fertilizers and toxic sprays that are the mainstay of conventional farms. Study after study indicates the conventional thinking on farming - that we have to tolerate toxic chemicals because organic farming can't feed the world - is wrong.  :applause

In fact, studies like the Rodale trials show that after a three-year transition period, organic yields equalled conventional yields. What is more, the study showed organic crops were more resilient. Organic corn yields were 31 per cent higher than conventional in years of drought.

These drought yields are remarkable when compared to genetically modified (GM) "drought tolerant" varieties, which showed increases of only 6.7 per cent to 13.3 per cent over conventional (non-drought resistant) varieties.

More important than yield, from the farmer's perspective, is income, and here organic is clearly superior. The 30-year comparison showed organic systems were almost three times as profitable as the conventional systems. The average net return for the organic systems was $558/acre/ year versus just $190/acre/year for the conventional systems. The much higher income reflects the premium organic farmers receive and consumers pay for.

excerpt:

Importantly, the Rodale study, which started in 1981, found organic farming is more sustainable than conventional systems. They found, for example, that:
. Organic systems used 45 per cent less energy than conventional.
. Production efficiency was 28 per cent higher in the organic systems, with the conventional no-till system being the least efficient in terms of energy usage.
. Soil health in the organic systems has increased over time while the conventional systems remain essentially unchanged.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:30:07 PM by Boom Boom »

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 03:26:25 PM »
The organic food sections in every supermarket are growing, which tells me that somehow they are making it cost effective. This is not necessarily a good thing because it could still be agribusiness.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »
The organic food sections in every supermarket are growing, which tells me that somehow they are making it cost effective. This is not necessarily a good thing because it could still be agribusiness.

But if agribusiness drops the chemicals and goes purely organic, that's better than the status quo, no?

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »
True. Better for the earth, I guess. But it doesn't mean they'll stop industrial animal farming
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT