Author Topic: NFL thread?  (Read 6635 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
NFL thread?
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:31:08 PM »
I went a-looking for an NFL thread, but could not find it. Maybe and perhaps my eyes are not what they used to be.  :age:

This is something of a combination of NFL and CFL anyway. I found, in Macleans, an interview with Warren Moon. His career spans them both.

His arrival in Edmonton coincided with my arrival in Alberta to live - so I closely followed his career. As well, I managed a trip to Anaheim in California to watch the Oilers (his first NFL team) get creamed by the much travelled Raiders. It is difficult to 'show your QB stuff' with a mass of defensives linemen sitting on your chest.

I am taken by two things he says in the interview.
Q: Why were you so successful in the CFL? Was there less pressure?

A: The biggest thing was, for me, you could really feel that I was only being judged by how I played on the field and that was it. I wasn’t being judged by the colour of my skin. I never heard any type of racial slurs while I was up there. It was very refreshing to know that I could just prepare for a game, go out there and not have to worry about anything else.

I know there is racial bigots in Alberta - to be fair to the Province with worst I knew I had worked with in NB, and he was from Cape Breton. (he would not vote PC in Alberta after he learned that Lougheed had some First Nations blood in him.) At least even our bigots we have more class than Representatives from Carolina.

The other thing that impressed me was his final answer:
Q: Would you trade your five Grey Cups for a shot at the Super Bowl?

A: No. Those were unbelievable experiences for me, things that really boosted my confidence. And I don’t think you’ll ever see a team win five straight championships at the pro level in any sport. I think we’ll be the last ones to do it. That’s a very special part of my life.

Thanks Warren - the honour was all ours.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Caissa

• View Profile
Re: NFL thread?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »
Pats to cover the spread on Sunday. Could probably do it with their second stringers against Buffalo.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:48:56 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
Pats to cover the spread on Sunday. Could probably do it with their second stringers against Buffalo.

Hope not .. they do not play until Monday.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:19:50 AM »
That's how good they are  ;)  Remember it's Buffalo.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
That's how good they are  ;)  Remember it's Buffalo.

Yabbut, yabbut ... wadda'bout TO?

('course you're correct, St. Mary's Jr. High would given them a go.)

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 10:36:32 PM »
Harumph!  :age:

Now 28 seconds left and NE is ahead by one.

I complained about the poor officiating in the Montreal - Vancouver game and I am just about to scream about it in this game.  :rant:

Twice the Pats dumped Edwards, the Buffalo QB, and twice they were penalized by VERY questionable penalties. John Gruden, a Superbowl winning coach, commented that now he had to go back and read the rule book again. One was a low tackle on the QB and the other was for slamming Edwards to the turf.

Both were completely bogus: in the first the lineman had him around the wast - no where near a low hit; and for the second, Edwards was off balance and the replay shows he fell on his own, if there was a problem, it was the official did not blow the whistle quickly enough.

Harumph - as Gruden commented .... "this IS football".

Fortunately Brady, playing his first real game since the first week of last year, brought them back and engineered a win ( a Buffalo fumble helped, TYVM).

TO may be getting lots of bucks in Buffalo, he certainly is not getting a lot of balls thrown his way.

ps. I see that the Eagles have signed Jeff Garcia in case McNabb is injured. Glad to see him picked up after being cut by the Raiders (dumb dumb Raiders  :annoyed:  )  .... he has consistently won ever since he began as Fultie's backup in Calgary.  'Course, now he has to live with the possibility he will be replaced by Michael Vick.

Josh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 06:50:36 AM »
McKelvin never should have run that kickoff out.  And then he should have gone down rather than struggling for extra yardage.  Really dumb.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 07:20:07 AM »
Bad officiating and Brady looked all to human. I shut off the TV in disgust after Buffalo's last touchdown. Missed an exciting finish. I was already peeved that the Jays had blown a 5-2 lead and Federer when down in 5. The Pats play just seemed like the icing on the cake.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 04:33:07 PM »
Watched bits and pieces of the NE/Jets game this PM, and saw the Patriots snatch defeat out the jaws of mediocrity.  

Sort of disgusted with the NFL just now - here is Rachael Maddow on the NFL.

The NFL league has begun a PAC, and hired a couple of lobbyists. 22 of the 32 teams gave more then a hundred grand to political parties. Most of them to the Republicans.

For what it is worth the San Diego Chargers, that I really have not followed since the days of Air Don Coryell and Dan Fouts - but they have given the Republicans three times the donations of the nearest team. Only the St. Louis Rams gave substantially to the Democrats.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »
From the demographics I have seen of San Diego it should be far from the Republican bastion it is. Despite being the last home of Ronald Reagan, it has many latino neighbourhoods that are universally working class, not a Republican demographic. These neighbourhoods are, of course back away from the pleasant breezes and terrific views of the harbour.  It has what I have heard called the best climate in the continental USA;  is the home to a lot of money; and the home base of the Pacific Fleet. GWB lands on the flight decks of carriers just off the harbour to announce Missions are Accomplished.  

If you listened to the Rachael Maddow piece you will know their football team has never been an example for all the league to follow. Today is no different. Philip Rivers, the QB just got blasted by Ray Lewis of the Ravens of Baltimore to end the game (as indeed many games have ended). The Ravens defeat the Chargers 31-26. Perhaps if they spent more money on football operations and a tad less in a one sided political support (90% went to the Repubs) they would have a better team.  Alex Spanos, the owner was one of George W. Bush's first Pioneers - he gave a hundred grand to Georgie B.

addendum on SD: The San Diego Pardres were at one time owned by Ray Kroc, the founder of Macdonalds. They never won anything either until he died and the Padres were taken over by his (3rd) wifie. She was very popular in the city (and nowhere near the asshole her hubby was) Then (1985) they finally the National League Western Div championship. They even made it all the way to the World Series where Sparky Andersons' Detroit Tigers beat them 4 games to one.

Josh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:10:12 AM »
The owner is very Republican.  The city and its environs are decidedly mixed in their political allegiance.

Glad to see my Giants knock off the Cowboys at the opening of the stadium dedicated to Jerry Jones' ego.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 06:25:39 PM »
Quote from: Josh
The owner is very Republican.  The city and its environs are decidedly mixed in their political allegiance.

Glad to see my Giants knock off the Cowboys at the opening of the stadium dedicated to Jerry Jones' ego.

Good for the Giants .... Eli is the first Manning I have cheered for since Archie. I tried to watch the end of the game but was on a course today and staying away is mandatory.  :annoyed:

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »
Philadelphia plays tonight.

No, don't go looking for anyone from New York - the Philadelphia Eagles are playing the Washington Redskins.

You remember the Eagles - the ones with the QB that is lucky to have a job because he is black. Donovan McNabb is not the McNabb of old ... he had been broken too many times and has become somewhat gun shy. The man who finished off a game with a broken hand, and missed some time this year with broken ribs tends to flinch when the huge linebackers come running at him. One of his backups is the too much ballyhooed Michael Vick. McNabb does not have an arm like a Howitzer ... a Howitzer's shells go in an arc .... it is more like a naval gun - a flat trajectory. That alone is worth the show.

I have always had a soft spot for the Redskins of Washington. They used to be owned by a Canadian* who built the largest stadium in the NFL with his own money. Not accepting public funds. (Most NFL owners are Republicans and so can be expected to expect the government to fund their dalliances.)

* (Read the Wiki entry on Cooke ... he was a remarkable kinna gyu.)

Neither team is lighting up the sky this year, so far, but they both need this game to remain in some kind of contention. It just may be a good game.  :popcorn

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »
It was a good game and Mrs Bacchus's beloved Eagles won nicely  :D
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »
Quote from: Bacchus
It was a good game and Mrs Bacchus's beloved Eagles won nicely  :D

Mrs. 'B' must be happy all over again as the (her) Eagles once again beat the 'skins .... from NFL.com:

Eagles rally late to complete sweep of Redskins

It was over when ...
Jason Campbell's throw to Santana Moss on fourth-and-1 bounced off the ground, allowing the Eagles to take over on downs and run out the clock. The victory keeps Philadelphia within a game of Dallas and leaves Washington with an 0-4 mark in the NFC East.

Tonight the (my) New England Patriots play the 'other' undefeated team, the Saints out of New Orleans. The last time they played a team that had not lost this year they committed an error of Saskatchewan proportions - they 'went for it' on their own 30 yard (or so) line on a fourth down, electing not to kick. The replay showed they made it, but the call on the field went against them and all their challenges had been frittered away. It nothing else it is a major slap to the defence.

I had made some ice tea and popped some corn to watch the Grey Cup when I old roomie from university tagged me to off to the James Street Sports Bar to take in the game. So I shall nuke the corn and drop some ice into the tea and take this one in.  :popcorn

Return To TAT