Author Topic: NFL thread?  (Read 6634 times)

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
Re: NFL thread?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »
She was happy (we threw a US Thanksgiving dinner for friends sunday) but felt they cut it too close
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 10:27:24 AM »
Brees stays healthy and I think New orleans will be booking a ticket to the Super Bowl.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 10:08:47 PM »
Sunday Night Football has just begun. It is by far the best NFL football show on television. A child of Monday Night Football moved to NBC, it has the best commentators of all the sports. Al Michaels, as always, is a professional - well prepared and knowledgeable of the teams playing and their quirks. As well, if he ever retires from broadcasting he would be a prime candidate for a diplomatic post. (In the old sense, not in the John Bolton line.) He does the play-by-play.

His partner is Chris Collinsworth , was a bona fide all star player (tight end/receiver) for seven years. Although I saw Dion Sanders bring him up short for some racial profiling once - he is very insightful in his commentary.

Why am I saying all these good things about these gyus? Well, first they are very good. As I said before, the best in a very competitive business. Teh reason is that we are not finished the first quarter yet and twice they have complimented the refs on calling a good game. This continues a tradition that I noted this afternoon - often, all too often, the officials were complimented on 'good calls', or 'good non-calls'.

I am sure Glenn Greenwald somewhere observes that one of the little hints you can pick up about how the military is in trouble is when little stories begin to leak out about how well they are doing and how much they are loved by the folks they are supposed to be protecting. This comes complete with picture of soldiers surrounded by hoards of children to whom they are passing out candies. When you see that, count on reading some story in some back pages of a slaughter and an increase in allied causalities. (Naturally in the course of glorious victories.)

Earlier this fall Caissa and I were discussing the officiating on football ... both CFL and NFL. We both thought it stunk. About two months ago some commentators were unrestrained in their criticism of some calls. Now, that is gone, gone, gone .... even when the calls are overturned by a review the officials are complimented for flexibility and the 'bad call' is understandable.

I watched a couple of games this PM - Baltimore/Pittsburgh and Denver/Philadelphia and both, as far as I could see were (arguably) decided by poor, no not poor, bad calls, or non-calls.  I am a NE Pats fan, and so really do not have a horse in this race (even if slightly sympathetic to Baltimore and Philly) - yet am disgusted both by what I saw happening and how the commentators called it. What has the commentators reaction is so universal among the various channels I must believe that a little message went out from the Office of the Commissioner of Football that told the on air people to take it easy on the officials. The NFL corporately owns the film rights to all the games and the networks buy them from the league.  Ultimately they are da bozz!

No doubt that Howard Cosell would bombastically complain and connect it with communist terrorism, the decline of the west, and the designator hitter rule - but as we are without Howard we will have to wait for Michaels or Collinworth or Chris Berman (who is a CFL fan  :D ) to write their memorirs to get final confirmation of this ... Even if Berman sometimes blows off steam colourfully and is caught! :lol:

As with all sorts of things, and in keeping with Greenwald, laws and rules must apply to all and be evenhandedly levied or they are a travesty - if it can happen with the Nation, for it to happen in a mere game, is nothing. Mistakes happen - it is both dissembling and obfuscating to point to a correct call and ignore a bad one. (or Nationally cover it up with National Security.)  :annoyed:

We need someone to: "tell it like it is."

:age:  :age:  :age:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 04:40:39 PM »
About 10 minutes from now 'wildcard weekend' will begin with Cincinnati facing the New York Jets in Cincinnati.

I have been a Cincinnati supporter (not an out right fan) since Super Bowl XXIII - when Joe Montana/Gerry Rice engineered a drive with three minutes left to take the lead. Cincinnati responded going down field with even less time left - only to be stopped on the goal line.

The Jets neatly trimmed the Bengals sail last week in a game, score: Jets - 37: Bengals - 0. It ain't a-gonna happen again.

Look to the Bengals to wipe up the field.

Cincinnati has a proven QB in Carson Palmer while the Jets Sanchez is a rookie ....The Bengals have Ochocinco and the Jets have ... have ..... well ... they have some receivers. Cincinnati has one of the best defences in the league and the Jets have.... have .. well, their passing game is the 31st best in the league.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 07:46:08 PM »
Job opening in Cincinnati - their kicker just missed a 28 yard field goal with less than 3 minutes left.  :(  Unless his uncle owns the team, the next kicking he will be doing will be of himself. )

No one expected Dan Marino to show up as the Bengal's QB. Dan could avoid a rush, quickly throw a long accurate pass and fit his offensive line with Isotoner gloves without blinking an eye. Today Carson Palmer, the experienced Carson Palmer, the veteran Carson Palmer could not toss a ball to the same time zone of his receivers.

Well done to the Jets. You barely made it into the playoffs and today you acted like you belong there.

Next is Philly - Dallas, in the 'other' league. Dallas is looking very good lately ... They too, like New York, were late entrants to the playoffs ... but they look good indeed. Romo is playing up to his outrageous contract.

But Andy Reed is experienced and crafty as a coach, Donovan McNab is no slouch as a QB and Brian Westbrook, their main man rusher, is back. Look for lotsa points to be scored.

The croghnostication is for the Eagles in a squeeker.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
Okay .... the crognostication let you down yesterday. But that is no reason to not (note double negative) go at it again.  :mrgreen:

New England vs Baltimore.
I am a died in the wool NE fan - have been for decades .... but today, with the incomparable Brady playing in pain and Wes Welker, his main man receiver, is out, broken. This is .......will be a toss up! (How's that for indecision?)

Note that if Joe Flacco, the Baltimore QB plays 70% of the plays in this game he gets an 'accelerator' on his contract next year of a cool quarter million.

look to NE is a squeeker -

The other game in the 'other' league is Green Bay and Arizona.

crogh has been burnt deriding the Cardinals ... and their QB gets a half million 'accelerator' if he wins. Aaron and pack are impressive ... but Warner is old and crafty and not to be written off ....  

Still - in the face of past experience, I gotta go with the Pack ... they are the future.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »
Phew - it was close there, I was worried :beg:  ... but Arizona came through and gave me a perfect streak for the wildcard weekend.  :whew: Much will be written about the Green Bay - Arizona game .... it set all manner of records. It was a game of little defence, much offence that, oddly enough, ended on a defencive play.

GAME:------I Chose------Who Won

NY/Cin----------Cin------------NY
Philly/Dallas---Philly---------Dallas
Bal/NE----------NE-------------Bal
GB/Ariz---------GB-------------Arizona

This is one for the croghapedia. :mrgreen:

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 07:25:03 AM »
The NO/Arz game should be another shootout.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
The NO/Arz game should be another shootout.

Six weeks ago I would have agreed with you in:
Brees stays healthy and I think New orleans will be booking a ticket to the Super Bowl.

Now - that (some of) the mighty have fallen, I am not so sure.

One of my favourite writers diss'ed the Cards last year for the superbowl ... as it turned out they did lose.. but in the last seconds ....

Here is Charles Pierce who is well worth reading even when he is wrong.

Under-rating Arizona is not a money making proposition.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 11:30:30 AM »
:annoyed:  :rant:  :annoyed:

I do a lot of work on my computer at the plant. The setup there is similar to that on my computer, but not entirely ...... I just wrote a thoughtful, poetic post on yesterday's games with a look forward to this afternoon's games. Invoking Christ and John the Baptist, Sisyphus and Roger Staubach it was a thing of beauty. I went to check the speeling of a word and managed to delete the whole thing.

My Nobel Prize for Posting is now a string of charged/uncharged semi-conductors bits lost in a buffer - somewhere.

Okay - that over .... yesterday answered the the question the everybody has been asking themselves: "What is the only thing more dangerous to defences than Trever Brees with a football?" - of course it is Peyton Manning with a football. Manning beat a very good defence of the Ravens - while Brees ran up the score over a respectable, but not spectacular Arizona squad. (Running up the score is usually considered poor manners - but after decades of being the rump of the league, no one is going to jump on The Saints for finally kicking some ass.)

Today it is Dallas vs Minnesota. Tony Romo was supposed to channel Stauback and Ackerman (figures from the mythic history of the Cowboys) into the new century - but did not perform up to the standards of the hype. The final insult coming with a loss to the Giants in the first game in the new half billion dollar Temple of Jones in north Dallas.

Sometime about mid-season the holy football spirit descended upon him and he has been playing like the genuine top rank QB he is supposed to be.

As for Minnesota - they have Farve ... the athletic Hamlet that cannot make up his mind where to play or even if to play, everywhere but on the field. He has been playing so excellently for so long that every time he steps on the field he sets a new record.

I dislike Dallas - I think they emphasize all that is bad about Texas ... there are many good things about Texas, and they are the things that make winners - but the team that announced itself as "America's team" would rather be seen as a bunch of self-aggrandizing bullies.

Yet - (to missquote) things that are good about Dallas have 'fixed' the things that are wrong about Dallas. They waited for Romo to develop, shipped clubhouse dissension off to Buffalo and concentrated on defence.

The Vikings, after years of being sooooooo close they could taste it look like they finally have it together.

I would like to see Farve do it this PM ... but, Dallas in on a roll ..... I do not think they will make it past the Now Orleans Saints - but that is next week. Look to the Cowboys to beat up Bret F. with constant blitzes and negate his abilities and experience.

The other game has the New York Jets against the San Diego Chargers. The Chargers are legitimately there - the Jets ain't. (Despite having the QB mentioned by Obama as begin a successful Spanish/American.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 04:32:11 PM »
Remember some brash fool said: "Look to the Cowboys to beat up Bret F. with constant blitzes and negate his abilities and experience."  :oops:  The reverse happened.

Well, on or about the first play of the game DeMarcus Ware, their main man for jumping all over quarter backs got himself broke. Favre, the been there, done than man, was able to handle the lesser lights of the Dallas 'D' - and picked apart the secondary.

"Oh who will weep for [s:o8mxwm4d]Adonis?[/s:o8mxwm4d] Romo? No one - he still signed the highest paying contract in a high paying sport. His receiving corps let him down - I lost count at 10 of the dropped ballls by the receivers and backs. His position is secure.

What is good about Dallas, the patience to see what the real problems are and to devise sensible reformations, had best to move into fast mode. The secondary needs restructuring (maybe new personnel, maybe some coaching stragedies), and Romo is no Michael Vick - he needs protection - he cannot play when sacked 4 times a game.

What is bad about Dallas: "Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"' was shown to be as effective as any blowhard is.

Next week Minnesota meets New Orleans ..... rotsa ruck, Bret. Having made every mistake that could be made by 1) professional organization, 2) a professional sports organization and 3) a sports team,  the New Orleans Saints are as elegant, committed and good as any team has ever been.

Oh - remember as well the statement of: Running up the score is usually considered poor manners that still stands and the last two touchdowns were unnecessary. They showed a lack of class.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
Half time at Superbowl .... 10 - 6 Colts. Still calling the Colts, but NO is a second half team - that is when their high powered offence shines.

Waiting for the WHO. ( :popcorn  that sounds like an existentialist play)

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »
Existentialist or Seuss .... The Who were great.

The Colts slightly less so ......

New Orleans - 31
Indianapolis - 17

'Ectually, not a bad game - way too many commercials that slowed it down a lot, and Pete Townsend & Co. were a tad long for a half time show.

These were two very good teams indeed - it was in the nuisances where the game was won and lost.

I am really, really tired of CTV pushing the Olympics.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 11:02:30 PM »
I was impressed by The Who. I love them so and i was afraid it would be a let down but they did really well. And not too long a set in my books, Croghan... but I'm not a football fan. Have to say though, I was definitely rooting for NOLA Saints. And even I the non-football lover actually kind of got how exciting the second part of the game was. Loved that little guy, the interceptor, who moved like a gazelle across the field for a touch down.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 07:43:30 AM »
I thought Thow Who took awhile to warmup. During Pinball Wizard they looked like past their prime rockers but they really settled in for the last 8 or so minutes.
As for the Saints. Well, I hate the Colts so it was a satisfying conclusion especially taking a Manning pick to the house.

Return To TAT