Author Topic: Men and meat  (Read 2603 times)

brebis noire

• View Profile
Men and meat
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:45:01 AM »
PETA strikes again, tells men to lose the moobs

I already have a list of health reasons to severely restrict meat and other animal products in the diet (cardiovascular disease + diabetes, gout, food-borne infection, hyperlipidaemia, lactose intolerance - just off the top of my head) but I'm not sure about this one; it intrigues me.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Men and meat
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:47:58 AM »
Someone close to me is facing a coronary bypass because two arteries are blocked and a stent isn't feasible in either of them. This person is also a devotee of the Atkins Diet. :roll:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »
Alcohol can also cause enlarged breasts. Just sayin' ...  

And I know skinny people with heart problems and age-related diabetes.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:02:26 AM »
Yes, so what are the solutions? Sure, everyone agrees that we must eat a lot of vegetables. I live near a public market so I can get the veg I need at a reasonable price - it can be costly in some places, and our growing seasons are short.

Grains, even wholegrains, can be problematic for many people with allergies or blood sugar problems. And personally I find legumes (which I like) very, very difficult to digest.

Processed soya can be an estrogen mimic and cause problems similar to what PETA says about meats, and there is mixed evidence about incidence of reproductive-system cancers in women and men alike.

Fish - yum, but getting rarer and most often farmed nowadays with all kinds of nasty chemicals.

And nuts are a nutritional powerhouse, but VERY high in fats and calories.

I don't see any miracle solution, with the prevalence of factory farming and Frankenfoods...

And as skdadl says, no one gets out alive...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »
Sexist claptrap from PETA? No surprise. Can they mount a campaign without  being -ist?

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:46:23 AM »
I wouldn't say it's sexist so much as sex-y, in the sense that it gets a person's attention via social body image and anxieties. Cardiovascular disease and gout aren't exactly sexy that way.

lagatta - I tend to avoid soy products anyways, not just because of the estrogen, but due to the fact it's a monoculture, and soy is simply not meant to be consumed in large quantities. It's not really meant to be eaten unless it's been fermented first.

And I'm wondering if a lot of food allergies and blood sugar problems may be related to unbalanced intestinal flora due to diets that have evolved too quickly and too chemically in the past few decades, especially in terms of the quantities of processed sugars - not to mention the hidden sugars. I'm thinking specifically of yeast overgrowth in the intestines, though I'm still trying to decide if that's a real problem, or a fad disorder.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:01:18 PM »
I find it sexist in the sense that it purports that no self-respecting man would want to have breasts.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:18:12 PM »
I don't think they were addressing "transmen"! There target audience is the stereotyped "red-meat" hetero men (or perhaps "manly" gay men). I really don't know any men who aren't transgender who'd want to have breasts, any more than most women would want a beard. (A Frida-Kahloesque moustache, perhaps). ;)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 12:18:49 PM »
I find it sexist in the sense that the very concept is exploiting fears about body image that have, for one thing, consistently been used against women for decades, and reinforcing those by applying the same concept to men.  Now PETA can escalate its more annoying campaigns with women, by saying that they do it to men now.  Not that men deserve to suffer those body image issues either, which is increasingly the case.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 12:36:34 PM »
Fat-shaming to either men/women is repugnant.

Man boobs can result from far more serious causes than over-eating such as testicular tumours, hyperthyroidism, chronic liver disease, drug abuse (marijuana, alcohol, heroin), adrenal tumours, renal insufficiency and even MALNUTRITION.

Fuck PETA!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »
Or, they can just happen.  

But I totally agree with the sentiment.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 04:05:17 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
I find it sexist in the sense that it purports that no self-respecting man would want to have breasts.

OK, well, I admit I didn't see it that way. On the other hand, I never wanted to have breasts myself, at least not at first, and I've never even come close to understanding why any self-respecting woman would want to augment them. So there you go - nearly every time I glance at a billboard I get sexism full in the face.

PETA does annoy with their campaigns, that's for sure. But offending and poking at human sensibilities seems to be the point, because their counter-cultural goal is to get people questioning some of our most cherished cultural practices - like eating meat and using animal bodies for clothes, etc. If they cared that they were offending, they would've stopped a long time ago.

And yet, I do agree with what Toedancer has pointed out.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »
Years ago, Glamour (or some such magazine) asked a bunch of well-known men what they would do if they had breasts for a day. I can't remember who said this but it has always stuck with me:

''I'd jump rope naked in front of a mirror all day.''
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

deBeauxOs

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 05:28:11 PM »
Quote from: Antonia
... I can't remember who said this but it has always stuck with me:  ''I'd jump rope naked in front of a mirror all day.''
  :rotfl:
The novelty of looking at that would wear off quickly, about the same time the muscles in his upper chest'd start aching and he felt stabbing pains in his armpits.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »
He'd be on the net in minutes ordering a superstrong sport bra.

Wait till he starts trying to carry lots of big boxes! :mrgreen:
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT