Author Topic: collect calls in 21st century?  (Read 2669 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
collect calls in 21st century?
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »
I tried to make a collect call - thought I just had to compose 0-(XXX)-XXX-XXXX, but I just get a busy signal. (This is for something to be published). I honestly have no idea how one does that nowadays - I usually make contacts via e-mail, or by prepaid phonecard, but my phonecard is used up and I haven't had a chance to buy another one.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: collect calls in 21st century?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »
lagatta, I wouldn't know how to do it any more either, but my first thought is that collect calls have to go through the operator? Don't you just dial 0?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »
Of course I tried that too - just a busy signal, many times.

I am able to make 800- and other toll-free numbers.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »
You get a busy signal for just "0"?

Don't dial the other numbers, just 0.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:15:41 PM »
Yep. Just 0. Didn't work.
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 03:32:57 AM »
Lagatta I also buy those cards, but after reading This article I decided no more. So I saved $40 a month and got 500 minutes long distance and higher speed dial-up, whatever tf that means.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »
The best deal for me would be a package with my Internet provider, a co-op. When I can afford to buy a modem, I'll do that.
Rosa Luxemburg

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
The best deal for me would be a package with my Internet provider, a co-op. When I can afford to buy a modem, I'll do that.

Um, you have a connection to the internet, so you already have a modem.  

Are you using an old computer and a slow dial up connection?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 11:50:59 PM »
Yes, of course I have a modem, but this provider seems to require a specific one. PowerMac G4. dial-up connection (but not the slowest). Not interested in sympatico - too many crap experiences among friends. Many providers require credit card, out of the question, that.
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »
Any time I read about phone/internet/fax problems elsewhere in the country, I am all the more grateful for SaskTel, still a Crown Corporation -- perhaps the only one in the country -- which offers me everything I could possibly want and its profits stay right here.

When I call collect, it is usually from the writing retreat and I dial as you tried, lagatta, 0-xxx-xxx-xxxx.  It has always worked for me.  But I'm SaskTel.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »
I make overseas calls about once or twice a year, and then promptly forget how I did it. I have to call Egypt this morning, and while I have the number, I can't remember which numbers to press before the number - before the country code, that is. It's just a direct call. Can anyone help me here?

ETA: OK, I found a handy site: http://www.howtocallabroad.com  And naturally, the number I've been given doesn't get me through to a real person in Egypt.  :roll:

Return To TAT