Author Topic: Let's roast Canada Post (and photo ID)  (Read 3880 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Let's roast Canada Post (and photo ID)
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:09:47 PM »
:rant:

So last week, during one of the few brief periods I happened not to be around to answer the door, Canada Post arrived with a parcel (heavy) and left one of their friendly messages about where I could pick it up later.

In olden days (ten years ago?), you could have phoned and asked them to try a second delivery, but that option no longer exists. My local depot is 'way too far for me to walk to, especially if I have to carry something big or heavy back. Bus, maybe. Bad weather -- cab.

So on Tuesday I went up to collect parcel, resenting the trip. For photo ID, I gave them my ancient passport. It is ten years old, but that face is still recognizably moi. I made the mistake of mentioning that passport had expired -- stupid skdadl, stupid skdadl -- they probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Me, rejected. No driver's licence. Old health card, with no photo (still functional, and I'm not giving it up until I'm forced to, since you don't have to renew the old ones). Didn't I have a utilities bill with me? Shit.

So home I came, sans parcel. Just made the same trip this evening. Phoned first to warn them. Took legal documents proving ownership, bills from city and several utilities, plus the invoice I'd printed out m'self for the very things in that parcel, which no one else could possibly have. Finally got parcel.

Exhausting, humiliating, and very expensive experience. Even if it had worked first time, it would have been all that.

And in the process, while checking through all my papers, I discovered that I can't find my li'l birth certificate. I've got everything else, but I can't find my birth certificate. Now, there's a problem if I want to get a passport, which I do. I can't imagine why I took it out of its regular place in my papers, although preparing docs for passport might be one reason. But the damned thing is gone. What do I do?

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Let's roast Canada Post (and photo ID)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »
I wish I could help you with that. But apparently Quebec's rules are different.

As for CP, I have trained the drivers to leave everything between the screen and front door.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 08:58:52 PM »
Och, let us know what does one do. I lost my SIN around 1975 and have never replaced it. I know the # and haven't been asked for it since, as in 'eye' D. Go figure.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »
I'm really careful about my stuff - and I still have my OHIP card from when I last lived in Ontario, 1995.

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »
Hah. I still have the SIN card I got when I was 13, the first year they were issues. Childish scrawl on the back.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 11:40:38 PM »
:lol:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 01:46:29 AM »
In fact, the way I still have things from my youth is kind of weird.  :oops:
Like, some of you ladies my age or older, might recall the ''Ponytail'' line of products?
I have the Ponytail jewel box and rollers/curlers case, still.
Like from when I was seven.
In mint condition.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 02:34:21 AM »
It's Windy!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 05:32:50 AM »
I still have one of the old SIN cards too -- it's really barely cardboard, just a piece of very worn paper. Plastic hadn't been discovered in the 1950s ...  

There isn't space to put much between my doors. I wonder whether I could put up a sign directing Canada Post just to leave parcels at the door -- kinda awkward, actually -- might be better to get one of the geniuses to dream up a sort of depository box.

I'll have another good look through my papers for my birth certificate this weekend, but if that doesn't work, next week, for my sins, I'm going to have to phone the province, just one of my favourite fun things to do.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »
Perhaps Alberta has a website for that now. Too bad you didn't get your passport renewed when you were in Tranna, where you can just pick it up at a Fed office. I always keep my passport up to date - you really need it if you have to travel anywhere, even within Canada. I doubt they'd take a Québec health card if I have to go to BC. Since we don't drive, it really is the best i.d.

I think I actually have a (newish) SIN card; for some reason I needed a real one. Not to apply for jobs, something else.

I have practically nothing from my childhood.

All of these cuts in public services really make our daily lives just that much more difficult, eh?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 07:56:10 AM »
I had the misfortune to be born in Ottawa, eckshully. (Parents on way home from war.)   ;)

I have a feeling it will be easier to do the passport thing here. Passport offices in Toronto are always on severe overload; most government services are. I'll check it out, but the last time I think I was able to do everything by mail -- if you're willing to wait a bit, that's a good option.

I've gone through periods of saving almost everything -- old library cards, concert tickets and programs, wedding favours -- and then periods of tossing all that stuff, so my archives are kind of quirky. I still have a ticket envelope autographed by all four members of the Brothers Four in, I'm guessing, 1962 in Calgary -- sigh. I have a little tulle-wrapped packet of candy-coated almonds (probably dried up and dead inside) from somebody's wedding -- why am I keeping that? I have a prized card to the Bodleian in Oxford -- dunno why I'm keeping that either, but you'll have to pry (or "prise," as they say there) it from my cold dead fingers.

But I don't have my bricklefritzin' birth certificate! Well, I probably do; I just don't know where.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 10:18:53 AM »
My SIN was issued around 1966, and although it's plastic, is quite faded now. My birth certificate is a re-issue from about 1957, it's cardboard with laminated plastic and still in good condition. My OHIP card (also plastic) is pretty worn, although it's sat in a dresser drawer since I moved to Quebec in 1995. I have no idea what year my OHIP card was issued.

Question: If I ever move back to Ontario (unlikely) would I have to apply for a new OHIP card, or would I be able to use my old one?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »
I honestly don't know, Boom Boom. I have a feeling that, if you contacted the province to find out the rules, they'd make you get the new photo card. I don't understand the way they're doing the updates: Thorfinn was notified at least ten years ago, maybe longer, that he had to get the photo card, but I never have been, still use my old one. For a while I thought they were just catching people as they hit 65, but it seems to be more random than that.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 01:40:52 PM »
Thanks. I didn't know OHIP had a photo card. My health card in Quebec doesn't have a photo - the only photo ID I have are my Driver's License and Passport, but I had to get my photo taken in Sept-Iles when I was there recently - here on the coast our Driver's Licenses are valid without photo ID, because we lack access to a provincial office. I took advantage of being in Sept-Iles to get my photo taken.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 01:55:31 PM »
Well, the photo card could be useful (although it doesn't have address on it), but it has to be renewed every five years, I think, just like all other photo ID. The old health card -- white with red strip, yes? -- never has to be renewed ... until they catch you, o' course, but they seem to be taking their time with a lot of us.

I still have Thorfinn's last photo card. Too bad they're not transferable. I don't look a lot like him, I guess, but I was only one degree removed, eh?   ;)

Return To TAT