Author Topic: Let's roast Canada Post (and photo ID)  (Read 3490 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Let's roast Canada Post (and photo ID)
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
:rant:

So last week, during one of the few brief periods I happened not to be around to answer the door, Canada Post arrived with a parcel (heavy) and left one of their friendly messages about where I could pick it up later.

In olden days (ten years ago?), you could have phoned and asked them to try a second delivery, but that option no longer exists. My local depot is 'way too far for me to walk to, especially if I have to carry something big or heavy back. Bus, maybe. Bad weather -- cab.

So on Tuesday I went up to collect parcel, resenting the trip. For photo ID, I gave them my ancient passport. It is ten years old, but that face is still recognizably moi. I made the mistake of mentioning that passport had expired -- stupid skdadl, stupid skdadl -- they probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Me, rejected. No driver's licence. Old health card, with no photo (still functional, and I'm not giving it up until I'm forced to, since you don't have to renew the old ones). Didn't I have a utilities bill with me? Shit.

So home I came, sans parcel. Just made the same trip this evening. Phoned first to warn them. Took legal documents proving ownership, bills from city and several utilities, plus the invoice I'd printed out m'self for the very things in that parcel, which no one else could possibly have. Finally got parcel.

Exhausting, humiliating, and very expensive experience. Even if it had worked first time, it would have been all that.

And in the process, while checking through all my papers, I discovered that I can't find my li'l birth certificate. I've got everything else, but I can't find my birth certificate. Now, there's a problem if I want to get a passport, which I do. I can't imagine why I took it out of its regular place in my papers, although preparing docs for passport might be one reason. But the damned thing is gone. What do I do?

Not that I am a dedicated believer that private industry works better than government services - BUT

I received a parcel from Alberta yesterday. I was at work at the time, but stuck to my mail box was a note saying that they had a package for me and I was not home. They will return at 4:00, and if not home, will come back @ 6:00. That I was home at the address was enough ID for them, I did not have to flash an ID.

If Canada Post is going to compete in the market place - they had best adopt some practices of the market.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 02:00:35 PM »
Yup. The couriers wouldn't dare treat us the way Canada Post does. They will always arrange another delivery time, although if they get to know you, they will just drop off. Canada Post used to do that too.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 01:27:41 AM »
Having lost my Alberta birth certificate a few years ago, I found it quite straightforward to get them to send me another.  At least I don't remember it being a huge bother - just a phone call and a mailed photocopy of some ID I think.  Maybe a $20 fee, but I can't recall.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 01:48:10 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Yup. The couriers wouldn't dare treat us the way Canada Post does. They will always arrange another delivery time, although if they get to know you, they will just drop off. Canada Post used to do that too.

My cynical take on this is that the powers that be have told the PO (mostly by cutting allowed expenses and requiring higher revenues) not to be competitive with delivery services.

ETA Even though the theory violates the assume incompetence before malevolence rule.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 10:37:42 AM »
^^^^ I agree.

skdadl, I had to renew my passport post 9-11 and had misplaced my Ontario birth certificate. I remember having replaced it easily a few years prior to that with a simple online request but it became a bit more complicated. Luckily, the clerk  at the provincial registry was very cooperative and accepted my lapsed passport and driver's license as enough ID to process my request. Not sure what the rules are these days but hopefully less complicated.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Return To TAT