Author Topic: Crown / First Nations Summit  (Read 21060 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Crown / First Nations Summit
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
Dead serious. Robinson is quite upset. The panel discussion that followed basically said Valcourt was an idiot over the way he conducted himself, because Robinson is going to communicate all this back to the AFN.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2013, 06:22:26 PM »
You know BB Valcourt better be careful. Total hunger strike - emotions are high, all over the place, doubts set in, anger etc., unless Valcourt was told this and wanted to goad Robinson on purpose, to get a negative reaction to spread across Canada. Honestly I don't put it past the Cons to use Robinson's fragile condition. The Cons are just so vulgar and ugly w/o a care for a person's health.

We lost 55,000 jobs we're told, mostly full time, they want a distraction fast. And we know they knew that was coming, which is why EI was changed up pretty fast.

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »
Honestly I don't put it past the Cons to use Robinson's fragile condition.

He didn't look very fragile, but also didn't look like he had a lot of energy. He was clearly frustrated after  his experience with Valcourt.

You may be right - the Cons are hungry (bad pun) for a confrontation with our First Nations.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »
The sad thing is that Idle No More basically lifted a giant rock that exposed some very ugly, deep seated hatred against Aboriginal people among Canadians. Harper and his henchmen know that pissing off the "natives" isn't going to lose him support so that may very well be why he jumped on this as a distraction from the economic failure of those employment numbers.

The stuff that has been said about any Aboriginal person considered "uppity" has been disgusting and I wouldn't be surprised to see this man painted as some lunatic.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 07, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
Tomorrow is day 5.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 08, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »
http://o.canada.com/2013/04/08/hunger-strike-taking-its-toll-on-first-nations-elder-raymond-robinson/

A medical expert said Robinson may be in danger. “I would expect him to be pretty frail at this point, and a day or two away from his death,” said Dr. Blake Woodside, medical director of the program for eating disorders at Toronto General Hospital.
Updates on Robinson’s social media accounts say he has lost 12 pounds since beginning his fast last Wednesday.
Woodside said that a person loses approximately one litre of water a day through respiration.
]He said that one litre of water is equivalent to 2.2 pounds, and 12 pounds of weight loss is consistent with someone who has taken no food or fluids for five to six days.
“It’s highly individual,” said Woodside. “But he’s in trouble at this point.”

Ray of Hope - FB Ottawa - https://www.facebook.com/events/172614972891754/?suggestsessionid=a8a822680c10892a1069ccc26f916a5b
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:34:54 PM by Toedancer »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 08, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »
Statement from Grand Elder Raymond Robinson
Monday April 8th
I would like to take this opportunity to extend my deepest gratitude and admiration to the late, and well respected Right Honourable Jack Layton.
http://raymondrobinson.org/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:40:19 PM by Toedancer »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 08, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »
Yes, it's the dehydration that kills at that point. 12 lb isn't serious on a sturdy fellow like Robinson , but lack of water is quickly fatal.

I'm terribly upset about this. Please Tory idiots, listen.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 09, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »
CBC: Robinson called off his hunger strike today.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 09, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »
Indeed. A pic of him eating on his twitter account, he looks happy. https://twitter.com/GERayRobinson/status/321729262472286208

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 01, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »
This seems to be an annual crisis for these two communities:

Attawapiskat, Kashechewan declare emergency due to sewer backups

excerpt:

Emergency Management Ontario is co-ordinating an evacuation to move all 200 people affected out of Kashechewan. They will start boarding flights on Wednesday morning to the town of Kapuskasing, where emergency shelter is being arranged.

excerpt:

Late Tuesday, Emergency Management Ontario said no further evacuation is planned for Attawapiskat.
Ten patients who were staying at the hospital have already been flown to other communities in northern Ontario, including Kirkland Lake, Englehart, Cochrane, Iroquois Falls and North Bay, said De-Anne Sheppard, director of patient care for the hospital in Attawapiskat.

Some nurses have also been flown out because their housing was affected by the sewer backup, Sheppard said Tuesday.

"We have lost over 50 per cent of our housing," she said. "We had to put some folks in hotels last night. And we are sending some more [nurses] out today."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:02:02 PM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 14, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »
It's going to be a hot summer. The Supremes are Corrupt!

Canada: Unauthorized Individuals Cannot Claim Aboriginal Consultation Rights On May 9, 2013, the Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) released its latest decision concerning the duty of the Crown to consult with Aboriginal Peoples in connection with resource development in Behn v. Moulton Contracting Ltd. The SCC confirmed that aboriginal and treaty rights are communal rights which may only be raised by representatives of the community that holds the rights, not individuals acting without community authority. Further, aboriginal individuals are not entitled to assert aboriginal or treaty rights to justify a blockade or other interference with private parties' exercise of government-issued licences or other rights to develop natural resources. First Nations and other Aboriginal Peoples who wish to challenge regulatory permits must do so in court. This is consistent with the duty of mutual good faith inherent in Crown–aboriginal relations.
http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/238368/indigenous+peoples/Unauthorized+Individuals+Cannot+Claim+Aboriginal+Consultation+Rights
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:31:39 PM by Toedancer »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
The Canadian government's delaying tactics involving native children are harmful and wrong. This article first appeared in the Globe n Mail but I'm told that it was removed. I can't tell because I have no access.
  • http://www.firstperspective.ca/index.php/news/567-the-canadian-government-s-delaying-tactics-involving-native-children-are-harmful-and-wrong#!/ccommentThe federal government was thus required to share all relevant documents, and duly handed over a few thousand; but Cindy Blackstock, head of the Caring Society, became suspicious that Ottawa knew more than it was revealing. So she did an access to information request and, lo and behold, the government produced another 4,000 documents. Later Ottawa declared that another 50,000 documents would be forthcoming – but it would need as long as seven months to produce them. It asked for an adjournment.Sounds like a reward for questionable behaviour. This generation of aboriginal children may have grown up by the time the complaint is adjudicated.At the same time as Ottawa is playing games over the retrieval of documents, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, created by the federal government, has been holding hearings about the residential schools to which  several generations of native children were taken, at times forcibly, and in which many were abused.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:33:53 PM by Toedancer »

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »
This article first appeared in the Globe n Mail but I'm told that it was removed.

Editorial published on Wednesday. I found it through a Google search. It can be confusing with the Globe these days 'cos some pieces are web only. They never appear in the printed edition.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2013, 03:47:23 PM »
Ah I see, thank you.

Return To TAT