Author Topic: Canadian mining companies: doing harm round the world  (Read 6553 times)

swallow

• View Profile
Canadian mining companies: doing harm round the world
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:27:14 PM »
Seeing no thread on mining or C-300 (please move if there is one!) --

The word "Canada" is so reviled in some places that travelling Canadians mask their citizenship by wearing American flags on their caps and backpacks.

In Ottawa this week, at a House of Commons committee, MPs will continue debating a Liberal private member's bill designed to put controls on mining companies overseas.

Tor Star

Some good maps and so on at the link as well.
"You cursed brat. Look what you\'ve done. I\'m melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?"

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Canadian mining companies: doing harm round the world
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 05:47:53 AM »
Good report, and lots of great background. It's frustrating that McKay can't say much in detail outside of the committee, although surely we could have good reporting on what is said in committee? Chilling ending to that report:

McKay recognizes his bill is flawed in its inability to create an ombudsman. He's also not convinced his bill will ever make it through the House.

The Conservatives have vowed to kill it and McKay says some Liberals are weary of attaching themselves to a bill opposed by some of the richest companies in the country. "The mining industry in Canada is too powerful a lobby," McKay says.

But he won't say much else.

"I have to be extremely careful because the mining companies have made it very plain to me that, `We will sue your ass off if, in fact, you make any allegation of our companies and cause reputational damage.'

"But I will say, if they think they can treat a Canadian MP this way, you can imagine what they say about Third World countries where they can walk in and say, `How much to buy you?'"

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:57:29 AM »
Two good quotes in that -

While MPs in Canada consider controls, foreign pension funds have signalled they will not invest in Canadian mining companies unless they adopt firm corporate responsibility rules abroad.

and
International Trade Minister Stockwell Day says there will be no legislative action because it would not work, and the companies do not need it.

The highlighted one is just precious.   :lol:

The more insidious quote - the 'blame the victim' and its' not me, its' the system lines are:
Company spokesmen at some firms say they are the target of false allegations that stem from poorly run or corrupt governments where mines are located.

"The biggest challenge out there is a lack of governance capacity in developing countries," says Gordon Peeling, CEO of the Mining Association of Canada, which represents the interests of Canada's largest mining companies.

"If (countries) had the capacity to protect civil rights and live up (to) their international obligations with appropriate justice systems, etc. we wouldn't have much to talk about."

The governments they have bought off (as in Honduras) are at fault. This is like a fighter saying that he did not hit anyone, it was his fist that did it. This is the difference between sin and a crime, principles and laws - not sinning, good works or acting humanely is what you are supposed to do, it show principles; not breaking the law or not being convicted of breaking the law, is what you have to do, as in have a good legal dept.

Thank for this swallow, I spent a good deal of my working life toiling away from mining companies, in fact I was just offered a job by one. These are the boys that have to be kept in line by effective unions in Canada, who knows what dirty deeds they will get up to when allowed to run free.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:05:16 AM »
Yes, it must be such a trial for fellows like Mr Peeling to have to deal with all those barbarian peoples who aren't him.

It's absurd that guys like that are able to get away with threatening people here, including MPs.

swallow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »
Ain't that the truth.

More of the same arrogance:

In a joint statement on Thursday, Barrick Gold (ABX.TO: Quote), Kinross Gold (K.TO: Quote), and Goldcorp (G.TO: Quote) called the bill "unnecessary and damaging to Canadian business".

"The hearings have amply demonstrated how Bill C-300 has become a magnet for false and unsubstantiated allegations from individuals anywhere in the world and do nothing but unduly harm the Canadian mining industry," Vince Borg, a spokesman for top gold miner Barrick, said in the statement.

Reuters

Or: to criticize us is wrong by definition. This bill has attracted criticism of us. Therefore this bill is wrong. The fact that the bill is bad proves that our critics are wrong.

Continue circle until dizzy.
"You cursed brat. Look what you\'ve done. I\'m melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?"

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:27:25 PM »
HOly cow, just read thru this thread with links. Today's Article/HillTimes list the powerful lobbies, their many lawyers present in every meeting (waiting for a mis-step). I would not have thought Mennonite Central Committee Canada  would have a lobbyist present. It's passed 2nd reading, fingers crossed.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:49:24 PM »
While I cannot but support the bill in theory, I must point out that we cannot even control the mining companies inside Canada and stop them from despoiling the lands and life on reserves. More to the contrary, we actively support them.

Methinks we would do well to clean up our own house before we venture out to correct other people's.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

swallow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:14:58 PM »
I'd agree, but I think C-300 isn't so much trying to clean up anyone else's house, as it is trying to force our companies from going into other people's houses and making a bloody mess.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:42 PM »
Quote from: swallow
I'd agree, but I think C-300 isn't so much trying to clean up anyone else's house, as it is trying to force our companies from going into other people's houses and making a bloody mess.

Could be so .... I certainly agree with the objective of the Bill - but we [s:1bcog6rt]cannot[/s:1bcog6rt] do not even stop their depredations here - and we are looking off shore to teach these guys how to act. I gotta believe there is something wrong with this picture.

The arguments against the Bill seem rather silly and self defeating to me .... to say the strictures are "not really needed" can be answered by agreeing, then saying if they are doing all these good things anyway - a little rule instructing them to act that way will not bother them at all.

Yet again, I maintain that we would do better stopping them from, as you say, making a bloody mess right here in our own, our native land. We are [s:1bcog6rt]unable[/s:1bcog6rt] unwilling to do that in our own front yard.

The Lawyer's Weekly has an interesting story about another method to keep these terrorists in line ....
Last month, Murray Klippenstein of Toronto’s Klippensteins filed a $1-billion-plus statement of claim in Ontario Superior Court against Vancouver-based Copper Mesa Mining Corp. (formerly known as Ascendant Copper Corp.) in connection with alleged violent attacks by the company’s security forces on villagers protesting a proposed massive copper mine in the Andes of northwestern Ecuador.
C-300 is mentioned in the article.

The Harper government, of course, has its' own plan to halt dirty dealings by our resource corporation off shore ... voluntary guidelines: always a big winner. They also maintain that capitalism is what is keeping our corps from acting in any kind of civilized way:
“Canadian businesses, particularly those in the commodities sectors, are in the midst of the most punishing economic and financial conditions in memory,” Chamber CEO Perrin Beatty, a Mulroney-era Conservative cabinet minister, reiterated in a letter. “Now is not the time to add further layers of complex regulations where the need to do so is not clear.”
Capitalism is hell, just hell!

This McKay, who sponsored the bill, is something of an odd duck. An evangelical Christian (and died-in-the-wool opponent of abortion) has amazingly had a couple of his private member bill passed into law. As per the Lawyer's Weekly: ".... McKay has previously hit two legislative home runs (private member’s bills on fireproof cigarettes and international poverty alleviation are now law) — a remarkable track record." Even if both seem to me like affirmations of motherhood and soft squeaky toys.

All I can say is go for it ..... it certainly can do no harm.

swallow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
The night of November 27th, Mariano Abarca Roblero, an activist against mining in Chicomuselo, Chiapas, was murdered. Mr. Abarca was an important member of the community who had suffered threats, prison and violence due to his opposition to the mining activities of Calgary-based Blackfire Exploration.

At 10 am EST on Thursday December 3, four busloads of community members from Chiapas will arrive at the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City to protest the murder of the local activist. The 130 people will travel more than 1000 km overnight from Chiapas to protest the Canadian government's failure to regulate the international operations Canadian-based mining companies. The protest is being endorsed by the Council of Canadians and MiningWatch.

Mining Watch news release

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 12:20:29 AM »
Mexico shuts down Blackfire mine And it has nothing to do with the Nov. 27 killing of anti-mine activist Mariano Abarca Robledo, a slaying that fellow activists blame on mine officials. In this story no one could be reached at Alberta headquarters.

The Wall Street Journal however got a statement from Blackfire. Amusing (not ha-ha) that Chiapas Attorney General's Office said Monday it had "cleared up" the case of the Nov. 27 killing of Mariano Abarca.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:26:40 AM »
Meanwhile, here in Canada:

Sept ÃŽles doctors get severe reprimand

20 had threatened to resign en masse over radioactive contamination

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sept+%c3 ... story.html

excerpt:

MONTREAL - Doctors threatening a mass resignation in protest over a plan to open a uranium mine near their North Shore community got a severe reprimand on Monday.

ETA: this story appeared in the CBC as well:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story ... ation.html

excerpt:

But the executive director of the Quebec Mineral Exploration Association, Jean-Pierre Thomassin, warns the province is in no position to implement a moratorium on uranium exploration.

He said the companies involved have spent $250 million on exploration in the past five years.

"These companies will ask to be reimbursed their money if you do such a moratorium."

Question: who gave the companies permission to carry out this exploration - and was there any consultation from the public???

ETA:

Protesters seek debate on uranium mining
Health and safety concerns prompt push for referendum in Quebec, where exploration has spiked since 2004

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-on- ... ice=mobile

ETA: Facebook Group:  Sept-ÃŽles Sans URANIUM  4,600 members already!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8 ... 6403754654

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 10:26:43 PM »
Thanks for that news BB, rock on Quebec physicians and people!

Holly Stick, thought you might want to see/listen to this youtube/Mariano Abarca Roblero, REMA, Chicomuselo, Chiapas which was shot in September '09. Gives life and flesh and blood to this good, good man who was so callously murdered. I think even the Mexican 'economists' are shame-faced. Blackfire expects to re-open next week

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 07:11:48 AM »
I'm almost skeert to post this, HS is going to go nuts. But it's true, Canada is doing Great Harm to Mexico with Mining. Tensions are building in the Mexican village of Cerro de San Pedro, where a Canadian-owned gold and silver mine has been forced to close due to a Supreme Court decision that cancelled its environmental permit.

I so despair that Can. Mining is pitting workers in Mexico against their own self-interests and their own people who are decently trying to save their small town environments, in fact I hate it! I hate it so much that I am going to take up the e-mail addresses offered and bend their minds.

Return To TAT