Author Topic: Haiti  (Read 13374 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Haiti
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:09 PM »
Haiti earthquake-major catastrophe

Very little communication coming out other than the H collapsed, it's dark now, and an American Airlines jet about to take off at time of quake couldn't. U.S./Canada's DART are ready to go. Canada must wait until Haiti requests, but with communications down, well, I dunno. This is just awful.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:36:47 PM by skdadl »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Haiti Earthquake/7.3 (which may change)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
That's a worry. Real tsunami dangers with a quake that big, and there are a lot of shores that could be affected by a tsunami spreading out from Haiti.

Och, Haiti. It's so strange to look at that island and see that the other half of it is a happy place. If only ...

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »
Tsunami called off except for a wee 1 footer somewhere. It was the wrong kind of earthquake to create the tsunami, this was two plates in opposite directions sliding, I don't know what that is called. Dominican Republic felt it as well, but they actually use grout or whatever it's called between cinder blocks. Haiti has very poor quality of buildings, which is the H collapsed. I really hope other countries go in there tonight, so many people will die overnight, trapped under the rubble. But how do they get all of that into place, they need lights, dogs, workers, professional firepeople, doctors and I suppose a makeshift H will have to be put up. Gawd Almighty the casualty numbers tomorrow... :cry:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

deBeauxOs

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:06:49 PM »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
This is ghastly. So many people from Haiti (and their descendants) here in Montréal. Not even much news from back home yet. And the epicentre is in a suburb of Port au Prince.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »
I've been reading around looking for some of our major sources on Haiti. I put this essay by Anthony Fenton here as a bookmark for anyone who's doing the same. Fenton, some will recall, co-authored a book with Yves Engler called Canada in Haiti: Waging War on the Poor Majority (2005), which traces the history of the development of the then-trendy R2P doctrine (responsibility to protect), in part the brainchild of -- wait for it -- Iggy, and which is implicated in our criminal actions in helping to depose Aristide and then to spread the worst of neo-lib practice in Haiti. This long essay more or less sums up that analysis as Fenton and Engler do it -- I'm rusty on it all, but it's worth reading.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »
More from Fenton on Haïti, here.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »
I have been posting lost of excellent pieces on my FB profile, and tweeting them as well.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »
One of the things that disturbs me most, aside from the visuals of the earthquake aftermath, and knowing so many people here in Quebec with friends, relatives and connections in Haiti, is the air views of the country that show nude, brown hills. How can 8 million people live in such a small space, one that is supposed to be tropical, without any forests? No forests means no clean air, no clean water, baking heat, and constant erosion and environmental degradation.

It wouldn't be so crazy to relocate the population of the country and give the island a chance to reestablish some forests. No crazier than the sinkhole of disaster, corruption, exploitation and aid relief it is right now.  :(

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 09:10:48 AM »
Haitians say the "bones of the mountains" are showing, according to a nun friend who taught in Cap Haitien for 15 years. Indeed, it is an environmental disaster too, in what was one of the lushest and most beautiful islands of the Caribbean. "La Perle des Antilles" was not ironic when the term was coined.

I'm trying to think concretely, as just being shocked and sad isn't helping people there. It really casts a pall - hereabouts there are a lot of Haitians - in my part of town and eastwards the Black people one sees are most likely Haitians. Every single one is affected, as everyone has friends and family in the big city, wherever they are from on the island. The sad and solemn mood is palpable.

Many venues of all sorts, from places of worship to bars, are organising fundraising efforts.

Antonia, perhaps you could post links to some of those excellent pieces here?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 12:22:45 PM »

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »
Bene Diction has an excellent post responding to Pat Robertson's stupid remarks.  Apparently the story of the pact with the devil is commonly referred to amongst US fundamentalists (and/or what Richard Bartholemew calls "neo-Pentecostal Christians").  It is unclear how the story started but various possibilities are mentioned.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »
I am wondering if the forces of Disaster Capitalism are going to poke into this.

Although Haiti is so poor and has been so ill treated for so long that there is nothing left to gain from Shock Doctrine process.

Patrick Cockburn in CounterPunch talks about it being the same old same old ...
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
Thanks so much for that link to Bartholomew, Holly Stick. I didn't know the history, but that makes such good sense:

... the idea of a “pact with the devil”, suggestive of Satanism and of identification with evil, is an ignorant, lurid, and polemical interpretation of the event.

To the fundamentalists, any indigenous religious ceremony would look satanic because to them, there is no god but their god, and the OT is his name. They hate other established religions for the same reason, but native spirituality must look temptingly easy to demonize because most adherents are pre-literate and have so few defences. Beyond that, to our general everlasting shame, Western culture as a whole has validated the cultural assault on the "pagan," and Haitian traditions especially have been caricatured in Western culture for at least a century as "voodoo," to which we have attached sick but easily commercialized connotations. I mean, we otta be ashamed. All of us. Deeply. 'Way before Robertson did this song and dance.

Return To TAT