Author Topic: Haiti  (Read 13375 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Haiti Earthquake/7.3 (which may change)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
While prepping for dinner in the kitchen I was listening to the idiot box news channel.
I'm positive I heard Kevin Newman (I think that's his name) said, paraphrased "a U.S. navy missile test may have caused the earthquake to Haiti". I dashed to the LR because I couldn't believe my ears, but nothing more was said about that.

Meantime Obama has a meeting tomorrow with Clinton and the sack of hammers to discuss private donations....hmm, I'm sure that will be one of the discussions. Obama says 5,000 U.S. boots on the ground in Haiti by Monday and 5,000 sailors soon after. He says the international teams feel insecure, 10,000 to protect the rescuers/doctors/supplies, I dunno. Poor Haiti.

There will never be an accurate count of the dead. Garbage trucks are picking up the dead and burying them in mass graves outside of the city near the mountains. That includes tourists if any, mission workers, UN staff, Haitians of course, no identification or number counting. Obviously disease is a big worry, but my gawd, no central co-ordination whatsoever. This is a human tragedy on a huge scale.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

deBeauxOs

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
There will never be an accurate count of the dead. Garbage trucks are picking up the dead and burying them in mass graves outside of the city near the mountains. That includes tourists if any, mission workers, UN staff, Haitians of course, no identification or number counting.
Where did you hear that, Toe?

That surprises me because after the 2004 tsunami great care was taken to gather all bodies, try to identify and to bury them in accordance with the religious beliefs they held when they were alive.  Catholicism and other christian faiths are very present in Haïti so I'm surprised there hasn't been some ruckus about this.

Then there's all the legal questions connected to death certificates, especially for those who are not residents or citizens of that country.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »
"We anticipate there will be between 100,000 and 200,000 dead in total, although we will never know the exact number."
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/01/1 ... quake.html

ETA - oh shite dB it's worse than ever.
Haiti mass graves receive unclaimed, unidentified bodies
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 05:32:16 PM »
The last few times I have gone to TAT the banner headline has read:

Canada to Ease Restriction of Haitian Immigrants -

(naturally now the fool thing will not come up  :annoyed: )

It really does not say much about Haitian immigrants or Canada for that matter - it goes to a page in the WaPo.

If it means what I think it means .... this should be thought out some more.

There is no shortage of refugees/immigrants waiting to get into Canada. While, Lord knows, I feel for the residents of Haiti - and have done some concrete things to aid them in the dire straights - yet then I recall the Vietnamese Boat People (really mostly Chinese) that were jumped ahead of the refugee line for Canada. I sympathized with them too.

Is allowing more Immigrants into Canada from Haiti going to solve their troubles and ease their pain? is their situation that much different than that of some people who have been tortured by their own government, tortured by other governments and (incidentally) our government? Is there a pain rating that puts some folks ahead of others - that decided who is more deserving? Were the Tamils of Sri Lanka who were uprooted by the  big Tsunami accorded the same ease of entrance?

I would think a serious attempt to treat Haiti as a serious country with normal people who have normal desires and aspirations rather than a dumping ground for goods that cannot be sold (see US rice shipments to Haiti) elsewhere or a supplier of cheap manufactured goods because of inhuman working conditions and wages that are a joke.

Were I a potential Canadian in Columbia trying to get away from the mess that country has been made into, or a Jordanian trying to escape from that slug of a government leader, or from Lebanon who wishes to avoid any future Hezbollah-Israeli conflicts I would begin to wonder about how fair Canada really is.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »
Satan to Pat Robertson, @ Lawyers Guns and Money

Via a commenter at JJ's place.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
Quote from: Croghan27
The last few times I have gone to TAT the banner headline has read:
 Canada to Ease Restriction of Haitian Immigrants - (naturally now the fool thing will not come up  :annoyed: )

It really does not say much about Haitian immigrants or Canada for that matter - it goes to a page in the WaPo. If it means what I think it means .... this should be thought out some more. ...
It sounded to me from what I heard on Radio-Canada that the priority was reunification for those Haïtian Canadians wanting to sponsor family members in Haïti who had lost significant others in the disaster, to settle here (probably in Québec).

eta link to CBC article.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 03:21:35 PM »
Doctors without Borders press release demanding priority to land

But this is just the militarization of human tragedy. The UN/U.S. Dept. of Defense have taken over the airport. Haiti the 51st state?  Haitians won't be fooled again (I hope), but then what are they to do? Navy has it's own 1,000 bed floating hospital WTF is going on?

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
I've been following Democracy Now's coverage on their website and on Twitter. Amy Goodman & crew are excellent, as they've been on top of things in Haiti since DN's inception (late 90s).

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
Two feminist activists we have met here (and elsewhere) in the framework of the World March of Women, Myriam Merlet and Magalie Marcellin, are among those confirmed dead.

One report said the neighbourhood where La Maison des femmes (Kayfamn in Creole), a refuge for family violence victims where Marcellin worked, "no longer exists".  :cry:
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Priority landing for Americans forces flights carrying emergency supplies to divert to Dominican Republic

Power struggles while so many thousands won't live even more night without water and food.  :rant2:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »
That's actually something I wondered about earlier, except I don't know the geography/roads on the island. But in theory, the easiest way to get to Haiti if the main port is blocked is from the Dominican R. Does anyone know whether large transports could simply drive to Port-au-Prince from Santo Domingo, or even from one of the closer ports? My Google map is showing me a number of through-roads.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »
Oxfam has set up its hub in Santo Domingo and is launching its outposts from there.
The things you'd expect, like roads, are very, very difficult to access.

Being able to move food in a truck is just not working; people move by foot in most cases. Some areas are more or less flattened.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
Canada to take lead in rebuilding the 'New Haiti'

Cannon - “This is like we’re helping our neighbour,” he said. “It’s all about solidarity, it’s all about helping this country in its hour of need.”  This is all just so much Bullshite. Except Haitians need is so huge.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 07:28:19 PM »
“This is like we’re helping our neighbour,”
said Lawrence Cannon, neglecting to mention which neighbour.

Return To TAT