Author Topic: Toronto municipal election  (Read 8505 times)

k'in

• View Profile
Re: Toronto municipal election
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »
Mammoliti is probably the most opportunistic and generally weird member of Toronto council.  He used to be an NDP MPP.  Today he announced he is supporting Rob Ford for mayor.

Mammoliti and Ford's animosity go back many   years. The Italian-Canadian councillor changed his first name from   George to Giorgio, after Ford called him "Gino boy". And Ford and   Mammoliti have been at opposite ends of the spending scale for their   office budgets - with Ford financing his own office expenditures, while   Mammoliti made a name for himself running up the tab on everything from   taxi rides to sports memorabilia using his office budget.

He also made a name for himself as an anti-cat crusader/wingnut.

In   the Toronto Sun Mammoliti says,"If I have to hide behind the gardens   and tomatoes and meow to get them into the cages, I'll do it.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 04:42:54 PM »
Aaaaak! So a cyclist-hater, a cat-hater, and a creep who wants to warehouse frail old people in horrible conditions - there are no HUMANS who want to be mayor of Tranna?

:cat :bike :geezera
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 04:52:59 PM »
Aaaaak! So a cyclist-hater, a cat-hater, and a creep who wants to warehouse frail old people in horrible conditions - there are no HUMANS who want to be mayor of Tranna?

:cat :bike :geezera

Me!!!!  :hides

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 07:45:59 PM »
Calgary Grit is liveblogging the Toronto municipal election:

http://calgarygrit.blogspot.com/

ETA: Well that was quick: Ford.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:12:12 PM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »
Antonia RTd a great comment: "Jane Jacobs just died ... again."

This hasn't been a great year for poor old Toronto. Impolitical says reporters should be happy because Ford is going to give them endless hot copy.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »
If Ford proves incompetent, can he be recalled or impeached?

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »
Surprising how many incumbent councillors have been knocked off or in tight races.  Name recognition has counted for so much in elections past.  Wondering if people really wanted a kick at Steve (not there there are any 416 CPC MPs to kick) or McGuinty.  On a positive note, Mary Fragedakis took ward 29, defeating former mayoral councillor & mayoral candidate Jane Pitfield, and Jennifer Wood (who had more signage than all other candidates including mayor combined).

No idea why ex-mayors Sewell & Crombie gave (tepid) support to Smitherman.  Or councillor Adam Vaughan.  Suspect the "Let Them Eat Cake" crowd (i.e. the Harris undead) probably pushed people away from George.

I hope people outside of Ontario understand how unpalatable George Smitherman was as a candidate.  He isn't your  typical Liberal.  He isn't even Ignatieff.  A vote for Joe Pantalone (who was inexplicably thrown under the bus by pretty much everyone except David Miller) might have been a vote for Rob Ford, but a vote for George Smitherman would have been a vote for, well, George Smitherman.

Happiest person in Ontario is probably Dalton McGuinty. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:12:02 PM by k'in »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 09:27:45 PM »
Why do you think McGuinty will be happy, k'in? Just because he doesn't like George?

The turfing out of incumbents is interesting, and could mean something for Absolute McG too, no?

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »
Does this mean the Salada Orange Pekoe bunch have reached Canada?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
I'm just going to throw the Hamilton election in here. Our mayor is now a radio broadcaster with one term of councillor under his belt who likes to throw pens and changes his opinion from day to day. The incumbent being overthrown because he didn't bend over and shoot money out his ass to accommodate the ticats. Is the average voter too stupid for democracy?
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »
Is the average voter too stupid for democracy?

They must be, other than Hazel aren't there any women mayorz?

The few times I've met Fred I found him not to be very charismatic, but he's a steady as you go kinda chap and I like that he at least put in an Integrity Commish, going to be needed considering all the 'sports' money coming in with PanAm and TiCats, blah blah. Here's what they all said about Poverty,  Bratina Won, don't know the count yet.

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »
skdadl---unscientific theory but remember that Smitherman declared early for mayor after realizing that McGuinty wasn't going anywhere?  And early on his entitlement as mayor-to-be seemed cool as there didn't appear to be any opponents of note?  When Ford entered the race, he was seen as a joke candidate.  The "proper" people got fussy, including the major media and the pollsters, and things got ugly.

If Smitherman (who in typical Liberal style morphed into Ford/latched onto the same platform) had been successful, campaigning on contracting out, cutting the "waste", etc...that would mean that a huge majority of Torontonians endorsed the Ford agenda.  But the people who voted for Ford (and a bunch who held their nose & voted for Smtherman) would still be steamed and McGuinty would be in their crosshairs.  Ford will be a target of McGuinty (and not have any IOUs to call in).  Plus, if Ford had lost a close race to Smitherman, Steve would be on the phone tomorrow trying to recruit him as a candidate next federal election.  The Conservatives haven't had a candidate in the 416 since the Mulroney days?  So McGuinty is happy because Smitherman is neutered & Ford is Toronto's problem.  It will be easy to paint Tim Hudak (an empty, weak candidate whose claim to fame is that he isn't McGuinty) as scary.  People may well chose another term of McGuinty, forgetting the G20 & other scandals, opting for the boring/familiar.

Mayor is just one vote on council.  Ford will not have the power to unilaterally do much.  Smitherman would have been much more dangerous.  It was scary how much power the "establishment" wielded over this election.  Dubious polls, forcing candidates out of the race, media smears (since when is it progressive to make fat (Ford) or short (Pantalone) jokes?)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 12:33:36 AM »

Mayor is just one vote on council.  Ford will not have the power to unilaterally do much. 

Question: does it look like Ford has much support on the new Council? Is he much of a negotiator? I got the impression that he's a one man show, that can't possibly work for the Mayor of a big city - can it?

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
Ford himself is a walking disaster area as a negotiator/conciliator.  I'm not sure who is running Ford for the election but the stump Ford is not the Ford I know from council.

The mayor has more power than he used to have.  He has appointment power for committee chairs (I think, The City website is mute on how committees are formed).

I think we are in for trouble.  If we are lucky it will be loud and fractious trouble.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 06:02:08 AM »
If we are really lucky, that knuckle-dragging piece of shit will drop dead of a massive heart attack.

Yes, I hate him, and have no "human feelings" towards that bigoted pig.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT