Author Topic: Toronto municipal election  (Read 8653 times)

brebis noire

• View Profile
Re: Toronto municipal election
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 07:42:25 AM »
Isn't this just par for the course in Toronto? A consistent history of electing dweebs and dolts; this one comes in an angry and undisguised form. And on the bright side, maybe the rightwing will be deeply disappointed...

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 07:43:32 AM »
I see Croggy's funny remark about the Orange Pekoe gang above. The problem with Toronto is that it is just too big to characterize politically in any easy way.  Even the party labels of MPs and MPPs don't tell you much about the political variations among them, which have to do with distinct areas of the city.

I don't know how it would be done, but the city government needs to be organized differently, and then maybe the GTA should be a new kind of entity, out from under the province. The mayors of the bigger cities occasionally get together to discuss this issue, but nothing ever seems to get done.

Constitution, I guess. Somebody shout "Constitution!" It scares Margaret Wente. (Remember that?)

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 08:05:13 AM »
Copenhagenize has reprised his classic "Rob Ford hates cyclists" post: http://www.copenhagenize.com/2010/08/torontos-rob-ford-hates-bicycles.html  I'm sure we could find lots of homophobic and otherwise bigoted statements as well from this great thinker.

skdadl, indeed there is a problem with the degree of expansion Toronto underwent, as there are urban and suburban elements with directly counterpoised interests.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 08:25:43 AM »
Some of the greatest contrasts though are downtown and midtown, major wealth rubbing up against severe disadvantage. That tends to happen in all big cities everywhere, of course. St James Town is part of the Rosedale federal riding, eg. Makes the politics hard.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 08:32:35 AM »
Yes, that is true in all large cities. Very poor people need to be in the centre to access services, and many working-poor people are working in services for the wealthy. Some will deal with long commutes and rising before dawn, but others would rather live in a tiny studio. We famously have Westmount-St-Henri riding here. But the "905 rage" has suburbanish roots.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 11:02:45 AM »
Quote from: jrootham
The mayor has more power than he used to have.  He has appointment power   for committee chairs (I think, The City website is mute on how   committees are formed).

I believe this is true though Bill 53 (sections 133, 134 & 141) is vague at best, just says that the "City" has powers.  Although the reason generally given why certain councillors would be sucking up to Ford is the hope of getting plum appointments.

Bill 53 was passed by the province.  I can't find a list of which councillors supported and which opposed, though it seems that the right-wingers opposed. I'm guessing this was for political (not idealogical) reasons because they didn't want Miller having more power, but they would be okay with one of their own having such power.

[sarcasm]The gravy train may be off the rails, but expect the donut train to keep rolling.  Seeing as how the previous council gave unanimous support to the G20 bill, and that police budgets seem immune to the "respect for taxpayers" mantra, Ford will probably get his 100 more police officers.[/sarcasm]

Can't see how halving the number of councillors could ever happen, short of directive from the province.  Council would have to vote for their own extinction.

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »
Section 151 says that a regulation may require the Mayor to appoint chairs of committees.  I believe that has happened for Toronto.

So Ford has some clout.  Will he spend enough time at City Hall to exercise it?  He's already infamous for not showing up as a councilor.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 12:33:50 PM »
I'm sorry to intrude here, but I keep getting a bubble picture over my head seeing Ford literally running down University Avenue looking behind him to see the entire council chasing him pointing pitchforks or pencils or whatever at him.
Fodder for the blogger.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »
If we are really lucky, that knuckle-dragging piece of shit will drop dead of a massive heart attack.

Yes, I hate him, and have no "human feelings" towards that bigoted pig.

I just got off the phone with the kid, who watched Ford being interviewed at his home . OMG Lagatta you should have heard the language coming out of her, my word! Apparently his little girl (maybe 4) was being difficult, climbing all over him, taking the mik, whining, whatever and Rob was over and over again 'Behave, behave, behave, behave'. So kid was well okay kids are pains in the asses, then when asked what he would miss most when his time is taken up with being the Mayor, Ford said 'Family and Quality Time', so my kid is like okay, but then he continued on with 'like taking them to McDonald's' and all hell broke loose inside her. Her room mate practically had to hold her down, she was shouting at the telly, Get your Fat Ass on a Bike you Corpuscle, Get Your Kids Asses on a Bike before it's too late for them! And speaking of Bikes you goddam neanderthal regressive corpuscle.....and on and on she went. She's glad she's not in Twanna for the first 2 years of this awful backlash experiment, hee. Wow, it seems he has the ability to piss off the young too.  :))
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »
On bicycles, but perhaps even more important, just walking in natural places - those are found even in cities if you know where to look, in the ravines, in gorges, on Centre Island... Here, on our so-called mountain, L'Ile-de-la-Visitation, all sorts of places.

I have a friend in Etobicoke, but she lives in a wee rowhouse bungalow just north of the lake. You walk across the street and there is a wild area that goes down to the lake. She is just south of the Queen streetcar line, that glides all the way out there. It is traffic; how can it "block traffic"?

The piece of shit is only 41!!!!
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
I talked to a friend whose daughters live there and it seems they didn't really care about the Rob Ford outcome. It's weird, but too many people seem to think that municipal politics is no big deal. I just don't get that. They are the ones that make the decisions of what green space, urban renewal and public transportation you get. The most direct impact on your day-to-day quality of life comes from municipal decisions.

We're having really shitty weather and I hope that doesn't mean people avoid voting tomorrow.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »
All politics is local.

Of course, it doesn't help that local news operations -- whether broadcast or print -- have cut back drastically on municipal coverage.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
Those evul wimmin!

As the only woman in the top five, the other candidates avoided   confronting me in the debates, so I could be critical of their policies   without much repercussion. But, as the only woman, I was constantly   approached by other women recommending that I dress differently, change   my hairstyle or wear more makeup.

Puir Sarah Thomson --- 41 candidates ran for mayor.  Despite being a nobody, she rode her entitlement complex to being a top 5 candidate --- invited to all of the (endless debates).  Must be rough having Conrad Black's endorsement, John Tory's kid running your campaign.  When the going got tough she threw her puny support behind George Smitherman. 

Gawd, she's of the same mold as Elizabeth May. Waaah!

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 12:24:14 AM »
It's an interesting article, though not knowing the people at all, I don't know if the women would not donate to her because they didn't support her specifically, or just couldn't or didn't want to donate to any candidate.  Or maybe she did need some arm-twisters to raise the funds.

Her photo looks alright to me and I can see that she would be annoyed by women telling her to change her looks.  But I have to admit that every time I see a photo of Danielle Smith, I want to tell her to get a better hairdo.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:29 AM »
I admit I'd never heard of her before, and this seems like an odd tack to take, alienating supporters by focusing only on money-raising. I mean, I know that's a brutal reality, but it's hardly inspiring to speak of little else, and as Holly Stick says, most women probably can't contribute that much and municipal elections draw the least financial support generally.

Male public figures often get the personal comments too, especially the TV guys. Journos have told me that people come up to them on the subway and advise them about their hair, about getting differently designed glasses, about the kinds of tie they should be wearing, etc. I admit to some of those thoughts about men and women both -- like, what's with the necklace thing women in politics have had for a few years now? Bring back scarves and shawls! ;)  But I would never buttonhole a stranger in public and make comments like that -- don't think I'd even write them except here.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:13:22 AM by skdadl »

Return To TAT