Author Topic: Disastrous weather and other natural catastrophes  (Read 35563 times)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Re: Disastrous weather and other natural catastrophes
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:14:48 PM »
Spring sandstorms in China.
...The storms are a product of worsening desertification in Inner Mongolia and other Gobi Desert regions hundreds of miles to the north and west of Beijing caused by overgrazing, deforestation, drought and urban sprawl. Strong winds pick up the loose dust and dirt, mixing them with industrial pollution...

Hat tip the Happy Wanderer, who blames global warming (and who appears to be in about Grade Eight?)
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »
More about sandstorms in China at Galloping Beaver
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
Asia's air pollution circles world for years  :(

Using satellite data and computer models, the scientists found that once the pollutants are in the stratosphere they circulate around the globe for several years.

"Some eventually descend back into the lower atmosphere, while others break apart," read a statement on the study.

Researchers fear that the impact of Asian pollutants on the stratosphere may increase in the next decades due to fierce industrial growth in countries like China and India.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »
The solution to pollution is dilution.   :shock:

I was in Sudbury then INCO was building its' superstack. (To replace the superstack that was already there.) It had been claimed that while the SO2 from the Copper Cliff refinery did not kill all the trees in the nickel belt area, that was a manual job  - it did impede their regrowth. So they build the higher stack to hoist the stuff into the stratosphere.

Within three months of it being put into use the detritus of Sudbury could be detected in Sweden.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »
Low moisture on the prairies and other parts of Canada (maps)
...Alberta has a wide area where the land is the driest it has been in 12- or even 25-year periods (see provincial map).

As extensive as those areas appear now, everything could be fine if they get their normal precipitation over the next three months...

Holly Stick

• View Profile

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »
The veddy Briddish quip used to be: "Storms in the channel - Europe is isolated." It now looks like that will have to be changed to: "Volcanoes in Iceland - the world is isolated."

This brings up a couple of questions .... first, I guess is how is out Great Helmsman, S. Harper, to return from Poland?* Is the Air Force prepared to fly him all the way around the world to get him home by way of Asia or are the air ports on Poland effected as well? (let us hope not - the CIA needs to get prisoners to the 'black sites' there to torture them up a bit before interrogation.  (when the real torture begins.)

This brings up another question. Does this cloud of sharp particles effect military air craft as it does commercial?  The CBC Q&A section says:
A plane passing through a cloud of volcanic ash can suffer damage to its engines. Bob McDonald, host of CBC's Quirks & Quarks, notes the sharp particles in the ash are so abrasive they are capable of stripping the paint off the exterior of a plane. Also, when pulled into the plane's ventilation system, ash poses a health threat to passengers, says McDonald.

"Airplanes draw air in from the outside to keep everybody on the inside healthy and happy," said McDonald. "And so then the gases that would be in the cloud would also get inside the plane and people would start breathing it."

Volcanic ash can also hamper visibility, obscuring sunlight during the day. According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the sky can turn hazy and sometimes fade to a pale yellow or intense black.

Apparently all the plane has to do is fly through it - it is about 10,000 metres up there, to be damaged. The internals of a jet engine have rather strict tolerances - does this extend to piston driven technology? Crogh was in southern Alberta when Mount St. Helen's blew its' mind out - and the air intake of his car-car immediately clogged with the ubiquitious grey dust that had been thrown up.

Is Europe now without military plane 'umbrella' to protect it from ... the possibility of a sneak attack from (perhaps) Iran or North Korea using conventional air attack modes?

Is it possible that a newbie form of air defence has been revealed? Toss up a cloud of tiny dust particles during time of war and no plane will ever bomb you .... the idea falls down a bit with ICBMs but should work for drones.

* I see that Our Glorious Leader has said: "Whenever Poland grieves, Canada grieves, ..."

Hold on thar! Whoa!  :age:  Just a couple of months ago a Cabinet Minister announced that: An Attack on Israel is an Attack on Canada Is there to be nothing left of my country that is not dependent upon happenings in other places? Are Harper & Co. that anxious to turn control of our country that they are promising it all away?

GEEZE Gyus? Canadian business must be sensitive to (even minor) happenings in the US: we are all set to go to war for and with Israel and now we must grieve with Poland.

I am losing my country, industrially, militarily and now emotionally piece by piece.  :age:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:53:52 PM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Disastrous weather and other natural catastrophes
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »
Amazing video re-enactment of the first (?) plane to fly through a volcanic ash cloud, what happened to it, and what was learned from it. I'm linking to the first of three vids; 2 and 3 will pop up for you in the right-hand column.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »
Responding to Croghan, yes it is most patronising to tell us which countries to grieve with and make their grief our own. Yes what Poland endured when it was caught between Hitler and Stalin and the current echo of the Katyn massacre are matters for all humanity, but we are rarely told to say that when (X underdeveloped country) endures a tragic transport accident that it is our own.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »
One thing I can't figure: I'm sure I heard that Obama couldn't make it to the funeral because of the ash cloud. But weren't Harper and some others already in Poland? If so, how can they get back?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 11:56:06 AM »
I thought Harper didn't make it and sent his regrets? Guess we'll have to look it up.

I'm mightily annoyed that Merkel didn't make it: "Among those unable to attend the funeral are US President Barack Obama, the UK's Prince of Wales, French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel". Cripes, she lives and works in BERLIN. Not exactly out of bounds either by rail or official car, although Krakow is in the south of Poland. After all, Nazi Germany eliminated several times the number of Poles, prominent and ordinary, that the Stalinist USSR did at Katyn and elsewhere.

Just goes to show how dependent the world has become on air travel, even to adjoining countries.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »
No one in Europe, including Cholls, should have much trouble making it there by train, fer pity's sake. Much more pleasant, too.

Plus why couldn't North Americans fly to Spain or Italy and then take trains from there?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
I think Berlin is closer to Krakow than Montréal is to Toronto. And there are good roads and railways, and most of it pretty flat until the south of Poland, which is hilly around Krakow. Easy peasy. Poor Poland had the misfortune of being a plain between Germany and Russia.

There is a rotating rail strike in France, but SNCF is far from 100% or even 50% on strike.

Really, most of Europe is doable by rail. Almost all of it by good highways - much better than here overall.
Rosa Luxemburg

transplant

• View Profile
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:14:20 PM by transplant »
Hope has met reality

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 02:15:55 PM »
Quote from: Croghan27;180827
This brings up another question. Does this cloud of sharp particles effect military air craft as it does commercial?  The CBC Q&A section says:

Apparently all the plane has to do is fly through it - it is about 10,000 metres up there, to be damaged. The internals of a jet engine have rather strict tolerances - does this extend to piston driven technology?:age:

Hi Croghie I've been thinking about this part of your post for the last few days but have had no time to reply. I rolled it around and was reminded the only time the airspace was practically empty was during 9/11, was also reminded that there was a military exercise going on. That got me looking into this ash cloud that shut down Europe. Did I find something, you betcha. A rather large NATO exercise going on in the Baltic Sea which included military jets. 10-day long multi-nation naval drill began on April 12 18, 2010. Eruption on 14th. http://www.manw.nato.int/page_Brilliant_mariner_home_page.aspx

Finally the Airpilot Association complained, flew in their own planes and demanded airspace on Sunday and now over 80% of the eruption has lost its intensity.

And the U.S. was playing war games with S. Korea only 15 miles from the demilitarized zone on Kim Il Jong's Birthday no less! No message there eh?
http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=69377

And what's Canada doing, endlessly discussing two failed, talentless MP's.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT