Author Topic: Disastrous weather and other natural catastrophes  (Read 35050 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Disastrous weather and other natural catastrophes
« Reply #330 on: January 27, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
And then there's the Atlantic 'Conveyor Belt' :confused    (older link)

The Atlantic overturning circulation is a system of currents, including the Gulf Stream, that bring warm surface waters from the tropics northward into the North Atlantic. There, in the seas surrounding Greenland, the water cools, sinks to great depths and changes direction. What was once warm surface water heading north turns into cold deep water going south. This overturning is one part of the vast conveyor belt of ocean currents that move heat around the globe.

Without the heat carried by this circulation system, the climate around the North Atlantic -- in Europe, North America and North Africa -- would likely be much colder. Scientists hypothesize that rapid cooling 12,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age was triggered when freshwater from melting glaciers altered the ocean's salinity and slowed the overturning rate. That reduced the amount of heat carried northward as a result.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:01:37 PM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 11, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »
I don't know the stats but it sure feels like WIND has doubled in the last 10 years, good for wind turbines I guess. Meantime and maybe not correct thread, but.....

Privilege and Climate Change/a tale of 2 presidents

Problem is in NA the notion that your value is equal to your wealth is too ingrained in Western society in general and US society in particular.

Such factors might explain why Obama’s soaring rhetoric about global warming in his inauguration speech only very indirectly and weakly, at best, indicates, why human-induced climate destabilization might be happening. If one employs a very generous interpretation of his words, his invocation of the need for “sustainable energy sources” would seem to suggest the fossil fuel use is to blame. But he offers nothing beyond this. There is no indication of who is responsible for its use, thus implying, by default, that all the planet’s denizens are equally culpable, notthe small slice of the Earth’s population that consumes the lion’s share.
Mujica has much more of substance than his U.S. counterpart to say on this front. Uruguay’s president laments that so many societies consider economic growth a priority, calling it “a problem for our civilization” because of the demands on the planet’s resources. Hyper-consumption, he says, “is harming our planet.” He is also highly doubtful that the world has enough resources to allow all its inhabitants to consume and produce waste at the level of Western societies. Were such levels to be reached, it would probably lead to "the end of the world,” he guesses.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:33:51 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 12, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
For almost a year we have been getting very high winds here, the like of which I've never seen on the coast before. I've been doing renovations to my house (with a friend) for four years now, and, thankfully, nothing has blown off. But in the last high wind, the LR windows buckled to the extent that I am thinking of covering them with thick plexiglass.

In the early 1990s while living on a FN reserve near Hearst, we had a tornado which did assorted damage to the community - it was awesome in its fury. Never want to see that again.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »
It's May 30 - isn't it too early for this:  Heat alert issued for Toronto   :confused

(just 7C and rain here)

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 31, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »
Okay it was HOT, at least I was out all day and the street heat sucked. But as soon as I walked down my alley to get to my bldg., I was immed. soothed w/ the cool wind coming off the lake (of course that only lasts until the lake heats up). Got hung up in the lobby with conversations with dif people about dif things. 10 minutes later and whoosh all hell breaks loose, MONSOON, WIND and we're all looking outside thinking nice, all the newly planted flowers will survive (coz the supers are too fucking lazy to water them every day so their roots will take. I've explained this to them time after time starting last summer but they don't geddit). Suddenly we see a rug plop on the ground right in front of us. Holy Shit It's Mine! I run out and grab it, get in the elevator and rush to balcony. WTF ordered this bizarreness? I'm sure it was the same in Hamilton. It was my hall runner, which I sometimes use to sit on outside so the birds can't see me while I'm watching them w/ my new bino long distance glasses.  :whistle

Meantime there is another mile wide tornado heading to Oklahoma City.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT