Author Topic: Tories spend big to unseat Linda Duncan  (Read 2141 times)

scott

• View Profile
    • http://watertalk.org
Tories spend big to unseat Linda Duncan
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:46:33 PM »
Cowtown Tory cash flows north

Affluent riding associations in Calgary are raising money to support Conservative candidates across Canada, targeting such opposition footholds as Edmonton Strathcona

Well-off Calgary Conservatives, determined to win a majority for Stephen Harper, are opening their chequebooks, activating phone banks and setting their sights on some opposition ridings across the country.

One of those targets is Edmonton-Strathcona, where the city's newest Conservative candidate, Ryan Hastman, is getting financial help from Calgary in his effort to oust the province's only opposition member, New Democrat MP Linda Duncan.

...Edmonton-Strathcona is one of several dozen swing ridings selected for special attention by Calgary Conservatives determined to see a Tory majority government, says Andrew Constantinidis of the Calgary West constituency, held by Rob Anders.

They also want to see Alberta's 28 seats go Tory blue next time and they've got the cash to help defeat Duncan, the province's only opposition MP, he said

..Duncan says she's not sure the people of Edmonton-monton-Strathcona will be happy with Calgary dollars flowing north to try to influence their votes, she said.

"I'm not sure they'll look kindly on that," she said. (In the 2008 campaign, Duncan received about $3,700 from NDP supporters outside her riding, raised about $83,000 in her riding and spent about $64,000 on her campaign.)

...What's more irksome, she said, is that Hastman was invited by the federal government to assist in giving out stimulus cheques to community building projects in her riding, even though he is not an elected official.

Duncan, the duly elected MP, was excluded from these events and not informed about when the cheques were going to be handed out.

Hastman's Facebook site displays photos of him with Rob Merrifield, federal minister of state for trans-transport, provincial Tory minister Gene Zwozdesky and others at the cheque presentation at King's University College, in Duncan's riding.

Duncan said Hastman was on hand with Public Works Minister Rona Ambrose to hand out $14.8 million to the University of Alberta, also in Duncan's riding.

In the fall, Calgary MP Diane Ablonczy was flown into Edmonton-Strathcona to hand out a cheque to the Ottewell community league for a new playground along with Hastman.

From the comments on the Edmonton Journal web site:

I'm a constituent of Edmonton-Strathcona and I say bring it on, Hastman and Conservatives. Linda Duncan will wipe the floor with you just as she beat that incompetent and lazy Rahim Jaffer. This constituency does not like Conservatives--federally or provincially.

Although I live on the other side of the city, I'll be volunteering for the NDP in Stratchcona. The LAST thing Canada requires is a majority for the P.C. party. God help us all if that ever comes to fruition. We'll all be standing in line at the food bank while the rich get richer.

Dear Calgary
Please keep your money, your right-wing politics and your loser politicians. We in Edmonton will continue to actually use our brains to select our MPs, selecting the people that best serve our interests. Also, if you could, could you do something about that Prime-minister you have foisted upon us. He seems to need a lot of time off, but we are not sure why as it doesn't seem to help his running the country very much.
Sincerely,

Edmontonians that think.

Such is the arrogance of Calgary Conservatives that they think they should have a say in elections everywhere. And Hastman obviously learned not to give media interviews when he was acting the sycophant in the PMO. I fully expect him to buy anti-Duncan ads and not show up at open houses and debates, just like Jaffer never did. You've trained your young acolyte well, Grand Leader.
One struggle, many fronts.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
Re: Tories spend big to unseat Linda Duncan
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:13:07 AM »
I liked Linda Duncan's pithy response to this. She asked rather than flood her district with money for opposing candidate, why don't they just try running someone who is electable.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Re: Tories spend big to unseat Linda Duncan
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:37:25 AM »
^^^^  :D  :applause:  :)
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Return To TAT