Author Topic: Taxpayer funded Bullshit for THEIR FUCKED-UPNESS  (Read 3109 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Taxpayer funded Bullshit for THEIR FUCKED-UPNESS
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »
This is going to piss people off and well it should, and the rules must be changed.

Taxpayers boosted MPs' gold-plated pension fund through recession

The gold-plated pension fund for members of Parliament rose by 10 per cent during the global recession - thanks to Canadian taxpayers, whose own pension funds and retirement savings nosedived.

A new report shows the half-billion-dollar pension fund for MPs and senators jumped in value by $53.8 million in 2008-09.

Over the same period, private pension plans in Canada lost an average of 21 per cent of their value, according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.
 WOT? How?

He points out that ordinary taxpayers are limited by law to contributing up to 18 per cent of their annual income to registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs) or private pension plans.

Federal public servants enjoy pension benefits that amount to about a third of their income, through a so-called defined-benefit plan that Robson has criticized for being too generous and unaffordable.

But MPs and senators do considerably better than that, with pension benefits worth about half their income - and indexed to inflation.

"The rulers have a very generous pension compared to what they allow the ruled to have," Robson says.

"That's monumentally unfair. I can't think of any justification for it."

Kevin Gaudet, head of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, says there's a "Niagara Falls of a chasm" between the private and parliamentary pension plans.

We could write letters, start a petition, a facebook group, I don't know, but I'd like to see if any MP's from any parties agree It's Not Fair! Anyone know what happened to the provincial poli pensions? Did their's also rise 10% DURING A RECESSION?  :annoyed:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Taxpayer funded Pensions for Members of Parliament
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:28:51 PM »
The problem is, we've got the foxes guarding the chicken coop. If any of this is going to change, who do we think is going to be changing it? It's an even bigger problem than electoral reform, but for the same reason.

The public-sector union pensions are a different matter. I'm always in favour of supporting union advances because they tend to drive advances for everyone else. The one part of those figures that politicians will pay attention to is the relative advantage of the public-sector unions, and they'll be happy to go after those, just as long as their own cushy pensions aren't touched.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Taxpayer funded Whatever that is the Feds responsibility
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
Changed title for obvious reasons. Now Canadian flyers may be on the hook for airport Security from...terrists  This is a tax to pay for the scanners that they said didn't store your images, but in fact DO store images.  John Baird is a big fat lying Con by saying Canadians should not be taxed for security, only the flyers should be. Does that make any kind of sense whatsoever? No of course not. It is Con gobbely-gook as usual, because we are all potential flyers.

Fat lying liar Baird - "This increase, which is like the cost of earphones or a pillow in some cases, is necessary to protect air travellers from the threats of terrorism." Baird said. Does anyone with an earthworm brain actually believe this tax is going to help you. if you happen to be on a flight with terrists?  Would anyone in gov't with a modicum of respect for air travel actually compare this terrist security tax to a fucking pillow? It is absolutely ridic/ harebrained. The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) is responsible for airport security and for screening passengers entering the secure portion of the airport. So why should Canadians pay for the privilege of being scanned, searched, humiliated depending on ethnic group, and inconvenienced beyond all measure?  In the absence of terrorism, flying is safer and safer every day, but terrorism is the only scapegoat left to suck us dry for their responsibility. Disgusting puke! :twisted:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Re: Taxpayer funded Bullshit for THEIR FUCKED-UPNESS
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:43:13 AM »
It is disgusting, Toe. I also heard on the radio news the other day that the feds will stop funding/subsidizing cops on the airport beat. I'm not sure I heard that correctly since I don't think I've ever noticed any police presence at airports. Just those minimum wage security workers.

Maybe this is Harper's way of fighting climate change. Making air travel such a miserable experience that everyone will avoid it might reduce our ecological footprint  :mrgreen:
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
Gawd I'm pissed. I'm not sure this fits here, but anyways: A neighbour, a guy around 36ish has been humping appliances for years. He's good at it, gets lots of private jobs as well. He's big, brainy and yearns for stability. He's always wanted to drive the big rigs, is fascinated by ev. big rig. He pays big money to get the proper training, new passport, passes all the air brakes/safety tests. Finally after about 5 months he's done it. Thrilled. Gets his first job with a trucking company that trains him with pay and then sends him off on his first job, 2 drivers, (to Oklahoma) the experienced one to teach him manifests etc. at the border. He's so excited and we give him a big send-off, good luck blah blah. He gets to the border and is immediately deported. Why? Because 18 years ago at age around 18 he got one impaired charge. He was a kid and the U.S. had this information.
He phones and tells me this. Needs to stay in a motel until other driver gets back up to border town to pick him up and bring him home. He was informed it'll cost him 700 bucks to clear this for the U.S. and other costs, up to a thousand dollars and they inform him it will take 6 months to a year to get it done. Is this fair? No, of course not. He is being railroaded and the money to clear him goes to the U.S. authorities. Something is very wrong when every little single thing about a person is known by the U.S. border and they have a fix-it for you, that costs big money and goes to their coffers. Meantime, I guess he has to go back to humping appliances for the big-wig condo owners. Sux!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:01:57 PM by Toedancer »

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 12:55:26 AM »
Yep, it happens in the reverse direction too.  It's a big shakedown.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 03:00:44 PM »
I place This Here because Aussies I believe pay a toonie for any ATM withdrawal, and it doesn't look like it's enuf for an efficient system.

Sure would love pogge? or someone who understands puters to explain:
 "rogue file" can files go rogue by themselves? Or where did the corruption in the "corrupted file" come from, again can they just corrupt and then go rogue by themselves?  :confused

Pretty fucked up, can u imagine if this was worldwide? And is there a backup plan if it ever did? And I'm putting some cash under my mattress to have on hand.

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »
Sure would love pogge? or someone who understands puters to explain:
 "rogue file" can files go rogue by themselves? Or where did the corruption in the "corrupted file" come from, again can they just corrupt and then go rogue by themselves?  :confused

I don't like the way they've used "rogue" here. Look at the lead with my emphasis:
A freak computer glitch at Australia's biggest bank froze cash machines   and left millions of people struggling to access their money.
A glitch is generally understood to be an accidental or unpredicted failure, whether it's hardware or software. No human agency or intent is necessarily involved.

Yes, a file can be corrupted without human agency or intent. I've been dealing with some corrupt files over the last few days because I have a hard drive that's failing. But data processing operations on the scale that article is talking about use systems with enough redundancy in them that the failure of an individual drive or the corruption it causes can be fixed automatically. The system will route around the problem until the admin replaces the faulty hardware. So having a system brought down by a corrupt file has become a more freakish occurrence for systems like that but, you know, glitches happen.

But when they subsequently refer to the corrupted file as rogue, I think it implies something else -- that it's a file that doesn't belong and was placed there intentionally by someone to cause a problem. So which is it? A glitch? Or a rogue? If they only meant to suggest that the file was damaged, they should have described it that way.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 03:42:35 PM »
Well I hope it is explained somewhere, I want to know, curiosity.
Funny because just Wednesday past while online banking, I was prompted to fill in the form for e-statements only. I did. Mistake. I've just written and asked for it be cancelled and to continue with my paper mailed copy. To add- even if my account is modest, and that 'glitch' or whatever it was, happened here I'd have no proof at all.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:43:55 PM by Toedancer »

Toedancer

• View Profile

Toedancer

• View Profile

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 12:27:56 PM »
This relates to Defence Spending - WAR. An 'informed' public would immed. reduce the war budget in U.S. Conclusion - fear mongering works better to carry on illegal wars, it doesn't matter what the people want, cut their food stamps instead.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/05/defence-spending-cuts

Easy to see why countries (Canada) don't want people to be 'informed'.

Meantime EVERYONE IS DOING A HAPPY DANCE now that the Pakistan Routes are opened again, especially the arms dealers/war profiteers/allies and enemy.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/many-will-profit-if-pakistan-reopens-nato-supply-routes/2012/05/15/gIQAPIN9RU_story.html

Return To TAT