Author Topic: Turbans  (Read 1795 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Turbans
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
I have a question about the specific meaning of different colours of turbans.

I used to assume that turbans meant Sikhs, and I assumed that they were all white because that's all I'd ever seen.

Then one day in a hospital a few years ago, I met an exceptionally impressive doctor who was wearing an exceptionally impressive black turban. I see from the wiki that a black turban may signify a well-educated Shia Muslim anywhere, although I'm not sure that's a description of what I saw. The turban I met was just like a Sikh turban except it was glossy black.

I would have guessed that the doctor himself was of subcontinent descent, but that may be my ignorance and prejudice showing. He had a Canadian accent. I adored him, btw.

Anyway, does anyone know what it signifies?

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Turbans
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »
I'm no expert on this - thanks for the wiki article - I love stuff on dress and costume. I've definitely seen Sikh men wearing black turbans, and the small covering Sikh men and boys wear over their uncut hair is usually black (in my very limited experience, among Western communities and from photos). Note that the Sikh chap in the photo is wearing a lovely blue turban.

Oh dear, I'd love to bring the "cache-misère" turban back again - as an option, not an enforced choice. Unfortunately nowadays that and the related snood are often associated either with ultraorthodox Jewish ladies - like the 17th and 18th century men in the article, when they aren't wearing their wige - or with chemotherapy patients. Many Haitian ladies wear them here, and they are both practical and chic.

We need Mandos here on turban etiquette among men of different South Asian religious and cultural communities. Mandos will invent the Geek Turban.  :cool:
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
Here is a [s:2o7an2v8]shot[/s:2o7an2v8](OOPs - bad word here) picture of an RCMP constable in a turban.[/b]

"ectually, ma'dear ... I think it looks rather sharp"
- at least more so the traditional boy scout hat.  :annoyed:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »
Oh, I agree, Croggy. Most people's faces benefit from any design effect that emphasizes length/height rather than width. A lot of women's necklines work that way, as do upswept hairstyles.

(I can think of exceptions: please do not ever show me a photo of Ann Coulter in a turban.)  :shock:

Return To TAT