Author Topic: Rules  (Read 14090 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Rules
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »
Maybe when Debra is back we can ask her about it. I try not to pay any attention to that function, although as you can see, I get smited a lot, really a lot. Like, obviously a lot of peeps hate my guts, which is more or less why I try not to pay attention to the function.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
I admit that function disturbs me and I use it very little, only to applaud, except perhaps in the case of a troll or two that aren't around any more.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:54 AM »
Did i read correctly that someone is smitten with, Skdadl? :hug

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
Maybe when Debra is back we can ask her about it. I try not to pay any attention to that function, although as you can see, I get smited a lot, really a lot. Like, obviously a lot of peeps hate my guts, which is more or less why I try not to pay attention to the function.

:o WTF? Wow, I never notice it either. I have a very vague memory of Debra telling us it's part of the package and we can't get rid of it. I really wish we could tho, I don't like that kind of shite.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:43 AM »
I noticed that the other day and tried it, but have not been using it.  I just now voted on skdadl's post, tried to vote there again, and was told I would have to wait an hour.  I don't think it means much at BnR other than someone being grudgy at skdadl.  I'm certainly not interested in voting on the conversations here, like a skating judge holding up numbers after every comment.

Lately I've voted some at CBC comments, where I don't make actual comments; and I vote at Macleans since I magically got the ability to (and even to cheat sometimes) but those are all argument all the time.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »
Apart from PB, where I think it matters to get good stuff into the centre column (and not just our stuff either), the only place I vote has been the Grope, where I find the daily variation in political tilt among votes to be weird. At some hours, everything liberal will be swamped with thumbs-down, and at others they're all thumbs-up. I'm working up a theory about right-wing freepers and when they sleep, depending on province.

On a board like this, I think the function is meant for twisted adolescents. Well, I mean, there are some of them in any group, eh?

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »
I get smited a lot, really a lot. Like, obviously a lot of peeps hate my   guts, which is more or less why I try not to pay attention to the   function.

I noticed that - even as, like most others, I usually pay no attention to the function, but I was aware that you were 'unsmitten' until just recently.

(It was you I was applauding in a series of posts in a thread I had not visited in a while.)

I wonder if anyone has taken a snap shot lately of one of your postings so we can get some handle on when this orgy of smiting took place  :annoyed

Methinks that this smiting was so sudden so extensive and so out of the blue (It is not supported in that various postings) that all that is apparent is that "someth'in happen'in here, What it is, Ain't exactly clear ...."
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 12:04:14 PM »
On a board like this, I think the function is meant for twisted adolescents. Well, I mean, there are some of them in any group, eh?
We have the full-blown voting system available to us in the software we use at the Flu Wiki forum -- you can vote individual comments up or down. One of the first things we did was disable that feature.

deBeauxOs

Rules
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »
There are often excellent posts on B'n'R that make me chuckle.  There are many that I read, consider, then follow links. It's handy to have that applause tick at hand to express a quick show of solidarity for the thoughts articulated, or to acknowledge the work that went into it, or simply to express support for that member.  :hug

But I guess if some feel that it's a popularity contest that they're losing rather than an instrument to highlight great posts, then it'll probably get removed.  :confused

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
It's not a vote on individual posts; it's a vote on individuals.  It does not show approval of an specific post, but of the person making the post.  For instance, deBeauxOs, I just smote you here, went to another post of yours on a different thread and tried to vote but was told I would have to wait an hour.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:42:26 PM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »
Ok, you guys: in Debra's absence, I think I'm supposed to pretend to be rational and neutral here.

I think we should wait to see whether the function can be disabled. I've said that I don't use it -- if I'm going to hug or applaud, I do that with smileys, and I almost never notice vote counts -- I suspect most don't. At some point my huge deficit was called to my attention, but there you go. And sorry to all those many peeps here that I love, but I've never voted for you.  ;)

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 12:55:30 PM »
it's a vote on individuals.  It does not show approval of an specific post, but of the person making the post.

OMG - thass is true .....

Holy Holly! Holly ... next time you get a chance ..smite me, smote me ... treatment me like the lousy poster you know me to be ....

Yes, Yes ... smote in my face!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:56:59 PM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 12:56:33 PM »
I've always wondered who is secretly in love with me - those 31 applaud votes, surely they came from the same person, no?  :p :)) :popcorn

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 12:57:52 PM »
LOL! I never realized there was an applaud or smite option for individual posts/posters. I always go strait to TAT where that doesn't show up. I don't even know how to check whether I've been smited/smoted.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 01:01:31 PM »
It seems to me that to draw any further conclusions might get a few people a little too excited, not to mention any specific names -  cough*crog*cough*boom*cough!

Return To TAT