• View Profile
Re: Rules
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »
 :rotfl :rotfl

deBeauxOs

Rules
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »
Quote from: Holly Stick
It's not a vote on individual posts; it's a vote on individuals.  It does not show approval of an specific post, but of the person making the post.  For instance, deBeauxOs, I just smote you here, went to another post of yours on a different thread and tried to vote but was told I would have to wait an hour.
Merci for the demonstration Holly Stick.

That first became apparent to me when I ticked 'applaud' on one of your posts on one thread and then attempted to show appreciation for another post of yours, on another thread.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:29:16 PM by deBeauxOs »

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
I just applauded all of you.

I never even noticed that function.

Thank you for your votes.

I'm surprised the trolls haven't smited me.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »

They probably just haven't found you yet.

On the more general topic, Daily Kos is an example of a community that makes extensive use of the voting feature. I would argue that it has influenced the way that forum has developed. Does this community want Bread and Roses to move in that direction? I found it particularly interesting that DemFromCT, who is a long-time front-pager at dkos and is also the most active of the original Flu Wiki group on the FW forum, was the first one to suggest we turn that feature off.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 02:35:18 PM »
Quote from: Antonia
I just applauded all of you.

I never even noticed that function.

Thank you for your votes.

Can non-registered readers, called guests I think, click on that function?

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 02:35:47 PM »
And incidentally, I notice they haven't implemented that feature on babble either. I'm sure they could do it easily enough -- they're now running Drupal and there are several modules available to add rating systems of various kinds. But they appear to have decided not to go there.

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
Can non-registered readers, called guests I think, click on that function?
No. I just logged out and checked. The points are displayed, but the links are non-functional.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 03:05:27 PM »

We have almost no spam any more and very few trolls that we're aware of. That's Debra's doing. Nobody gets in without her approval. We're little, so that hasn't been such a problem (although we used to get a lot of spam), but occasionally she has worried.

It's possible that we have trolls here who have registered but never piped up and are just sitting there vote-vote-voting away, but I doubt that. If they pipe up, Debra and I are both all in favour of the guillotine solution. We're not as nice as the current mods at babble, but you know Catchfire. ;)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 03:12:23 PM »
I tend to avoid linking to this website during an argument elsewhere, thinking it might bring in mostly grief; but I don't know, maybe it would bring in some good people too.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »
Lol. I never noticed we have claps and smities.

I tend to avoid linking to this website during an argument elsewhere, thinking it might bring in mostly grief; 

Me too, but because I don't know whether my linking will allow anyone following my link to access to *everything* I can - you know, others' personal info, whatever. Anyone know the answer to that?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »
We can cope with grief.  ;)  That is, if a real troll shows up, troll will not last long. We are not tolerant of certain things. We've never had a problem here, eg, with calling a thread "Israeli apartheid," whereas that was a real struggle at babble, now solved, but much tougher than we've faced, I guess because we're little and all in general empathy.

I believe that anyone who registers can see as much as you can see of anyone else's profile, but visitors can't. I sit to be corrected or amplified by Debra.

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »
I don't know whether my linking will allow anyone following my link to access to *everything* I can
Log out and then poke around and see what you can see. Click on a user's name to see what kind of profile info is public. Scan through the forums to see which ones you can access. That's what someone following your link would see. And that's what anyone who finds the place on her own, such as through a Google referral, would see. It's the internet -- stuff is private if you consciously make it private. Otherwise it's public.

I link here often when one of you deserves a hat tip. Haven't heard of any negative consequences yet.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »
I sit to be corrected or amplified by Debra.

Or pogge.  ;)

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
Tah, Skdadl and Pogge - that does indeed seem to work.

Return To TAT