Author Topic: Canada-Colombia FTA Bill C-2  (Read 7314 times)

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
Canada-Colombia FTA Bill C-2
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 05:17:45 PM »
NDP Press Release, today : Dirty tricks force Colombia bill through committee
New Democrat International Trade Critic Peter Julian (Burnaby-New Westminster) decried the use of dirty tricks and twisting the rules to force closure on the Canada-Colombia trade bill at committee. After 15 months, the contentious trade bill has now made it half-way through the legislative process in the House of Commons.

“This bill is one of the most controversial ever brought forward,” said Julian. “In Colombia we have a brutal regime whose secret police, paramilitary organizations and military routinely kill innocent civilians, labour organizers, human rights advocates. Understandably, many groups wanted to come before the Trade Committee and Conservatives and Liberals have simply refused to allow those many groups to come testify.”

Among the groups excluded were representatives of the free and independent trade union movement in Colombia, representing more than 90% of workers, as well as representatives from Aboriginal and Afro-Colombian organizations that have been hardest hit by human rights violations. Major Canadian labour organizations such as the Canadian Labour Congress, PSAC and NUPGE, all of whom indicated that they wanted to appear before the Committee, were also excluded.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 05:57:36 PM »
That is the kind of statement people need to be shown whenever they start talking about "uniting the left" in Canada. That is a base issue for the Liberals (pun intended) -- they can talk a good line about some social issues (although don't expect them to turn up for a vote on women's interests), but when it is the defence of capitalism that's at stake, the Liberals are there. On the wrong side.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
I yakked at someone today about that claptrap idea of "uniting the left."  The Libs make me vomit.

I think we'd be best off to let go of those old divisions and work toward something better.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
Wrong thread BUT to back up skdadl and berlynn It's the Libs who are always hedging on Democracy
Will we ever see those documents?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 04:01:24 PM »
Peter Julian at rabble.ca: Forgery. Murder. Deception. The Canada-Colombia free trade agreement (Emphasis in original)
The Canada-Colombia free trade agreement currently before the House of Commons Trade Committee has all of the elements of a fast-paced action novel.

In the last week alone, breaking news of a forged letter of support from Canadian activist Maude Barlow was distributed to all Liberal MP's and there were emerging allegations of Colombian President Santiago Uribe's brother, Alvaro, being directly involved in brutal murders by the government`s paramilitary forces. It should be enough to put the scandals around the agreement on pages of the nation`s newspapers.

So why are Canada's big corporate media refusing to pay attention and cover the issue?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:30:53 PM by pogge »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »
Link not working for me, pogge, but that could be my screwy machine. *cough*

Here is the news about the forged email somebody sent to Liberal MPs, pretending it came from Barlow.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:23:27 PM by skdadl »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 04:47:34 PM »
The  Council of Canadians has contacted Ottawa police  to investigate  the fraudulent email given that the IP address indicates it was  sent  from Ottawa.

If a staffer did it, I guess they are off the hook?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 06:20:42 PM »
Quote from: skdadl;183575
Link not working for me, pogge, but that could be my screwy machine. *cough*

Didn't work for me, either, but I did find this.  Gotta love that Peter Julian.  And that mister pogge, too.  ;)
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 06:31:39 PM »
Okay, who stuck that extra character in my link!? (It works now.)

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
Quote from: pogge;183583

I guess I am a johnny-click-lately, it always worked for me

Is there a charge for sending an email claiming to be from someone else? It is not like a letter which has all sorts of postal regs .... Is it all that different than going on a radio call-in and claiming to be an uninvolved listener that supports such-and-such, when that person is a very biased employee. Does making it (the estimable) Barlow a specific charge? Forgery? Theft of reputation?

The political fallout would be terrific if the wrong person is shown to have sent it ... we have just been lectured by Mr. Baird how his staffers and not responsible, he is.

Donna how that extends to the opposition - what if a Liberal staffer is found to do it? The Bloc and NDP can be ruled out - are the police going after the address?

Should the law abiding folks from the Columbian 'government' be found to have done it, what is our recourse? Expulsion? Where does diplomatic immunity fit into this piece?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »
Quote from: pogge;183583

Hey, dude, I ain't got no power in this here place!  Blame it on You Know Who... :hides:

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »
CCFTA almost certain to pass 3rd reading today.
I really hope Martha Hall Findlay has managed to get some feeling back in her lower jaw.

http://creekside1.blogspot.com/2010/06/on-coalitions-mergers-and-aquisitions.html

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
lol. Well, so much for Martha, eh? Wonderful recreation of the major self-humiliation, Alison.

I tried shouting last week at a (usually fairly bright) Young Liberal PBer who wrote an astonishingly gormless blogpost arguing that Liberals are right to be moving towards the Con position on eliminating voting allowances, and that levels for individual contributions should be raised. He just didn't get it. That's why he's a Liberal and I'm not.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »
'This is not your father's Liberal Party.'
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »
Oh Martha, such a disappointment. Wow, how far down the chain does one have to go for the Liberals to find a decent, progressive leader?

Return To TAT