Author Topic: Economics for the Rest of Us  (Read 4110 times)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Economics for the Rest of Us
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »
Progressive Economics mentions a new book: Economics for the Rest of Us: Debunking the Science That Makes Life Dismal by Moshe Adler.

http://www.progressive-economics.ca/2010/04/21/economics-for-the-rest-of-us/

Here is a pdf with reviews of the book:

http://www.columbia.edu/~ma820/The%20New%20Press/Book%20reviews.pdf
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:03:54 PM »
Umm no. http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/05/10/wdr-hst-tourism-ndp-100510.html
   'The idea of having an American passport perhaps giving you an HST exemption when you purchase here, [it's a] very interesting idea that we're certainly going to be pursuing.'— Jack Layton, federal NDP leader

That won't work for me Jack. Get real.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:30:21 AM »
Quote from: Toedancer;182206
Umm no. http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/05/10/wdr-hst-tourism-ndp-100510.html
   'The idea of having an American passport perhaps giving you an HST exemption when you purchase here, [it's a] very interesting idea that we're certainly going to be pursuing.'— Jack Layton, federal NDP leader

That won't work for me Jack. Get real.

An article on the CBC this AM - about how the Ontario tourists authorities, (government included) recognize that since Harper's good friend and mentor, GWB did his "Have a passport, or fcuk off and die." :rant: thing, visitors from the good 'ol USA have decided to stay/go elsewhere.

Jack's response can be seen as a recognician of that. As a practical matter - the idea, as per Toe, sucks!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:31:17 AM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Economics for the Rest of Us
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
Skimming the blogs I see the Police/Authority Abuse of Power is still on many people's minds, and it should be, but I also think we're missing out that the Abuse of Power is directly linked to What The G-20 Countries Plans are For Us. Obama/Harper/Geithner/Sarkozy/Merkel et al are all on the same page, AUSTERITY MEASURES, they simply are following the orothodoxy and thank goodness Krugman keeps explaining how that won't work time and time again. Argentina's President warned Europe of austerity measures as well as the G-20, she was ignored. And 80% of Argentinians vote.

The IMF is pushing this and had the nerve to say  33 million people would be lifted out of poverty, according to parallel   research done by the World Bank for the G20 if these measures were put in place.

But Krugman came along and debunked that using Ireland as the example. All that savage austerity was supposed to bring rewards; the   conventional wisdom that this would happen is so strong that one often   reads news reports claiming that it has, in fact, happened, that   Ireland’s resolve has impressed and reassured the financial markets. But   the reality is that nothing of the sort has taken place: virtuous,   suffering Ireland is gaining nothing.  Of course, I know what will happen next: we’ll hear that the Irish   just aren’t doing enough, and must do more. If we’ve been bleeding the   patient, and he has nonetheless gotten sicker, well, we clearly need to   bleed him some more.
The authorities who protect the establishment’s power have demonstrated   something in the last week: they will cater to the rights of the wealthy and push forward austerity measures by first trampling on our rights, then attacking the social safety nets. But first suspend democratic rights, the attack on the journalists was especially significant, because wow, that has the power to change the nature of democracy in Canada. Thank the goddess Julian Falconer is involved with the 4 journos complaints.

The real constituency are the rich and the powerful. The Haves and the Have-Nots. We know the governments no longer function according to the will of the people, it functions according to the interest of the elites. The elites interests is broad economic and foreign policy issues. These 2 issues are what our politicians lie about the most. There is absolutely no proof that they ever do what they say they'll do and what they are actually going to do. They just do it, all based on lies. And they are directing all of us towards accepting without dissent austerity measures. The Haves, political class, weapons manufacturers, banks, big business, et al, will do ev it can, including abuse of power, in dealing with the Have-Nots, while at the same time propelling the interests of the Haves. 
Changing direction is their goal.

Are Canadians going to accept that, or are they going to demand a public   accountability? Obviously a small percentage will demand accountability, but probably not enough. The politicians are cowards, and they know the goal and they are going to help to push it forward, ignoring better smarter people then themselves for reasons they will never utter out loud. I'm hoping more of the better blog writers, magazine writers, the media will connect  Economy/Foreign Affairs with the Abuse of Power.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:05:49 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
I love the Guardian, I always get reinforced by some of their articles.
This One bolsters my below post, obviously tho, in a much better way. And tho the G20 is not mentioned, I still believe that's what it was about. Fleecing Us.

Ironically, the people who want to take advantage of the "crisis" in   Spain are actually increasing the risk of more serious debt problems,   since the debt burden will rise if the economy lapses into recession or   years of stagnation because of their fiscal tightening measures. But   they are willing to take these risks in order to accomplish their   political objectives.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 11:43:54 AM »
A couple of articles on economics that are worth taking note of:

Andrew Nikiforuk on how the tar sands harms Canada's economy (because of government mishandling):

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2010/08/13/TarSandsEconomicFate/

Progressive Economics says it's too soon for Harper to worry about balancing the books:

http://www.progressive-economics.ca/2010/08/16/balancing-budgets-what-harper-should-be-worried-about-now/

referencing Paul Krugman on how Canadians are saving so little:

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/848276--canada-s-more-humane-society-saved-economy-krugman
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:44:51 AM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 02:19:30 PM »
Great links, thanks.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
Glad they are useful.  8)   Nikiforuk is writing regularly for The Tyee now.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »
Nikiforuk wrote for the Grope for a while, and I really liked his stuff. I don't know why that relationship ended -- it could be that he went off to write a book, but the Grope shouldn't have lost him.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »
He wrote a book on the tar sands and seems to be concentrating on that area - so maybe the Goat and Snail felt he was a little too critical of Big Oil/Tar.

http://www.andrewnikiforuk.com/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:58:51 PM by Holly Stick »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »
If memory serves, back when he was here he was doing a lot on education, but that is a long time ago -- mid-90s?

It's funny -- the last decade seems to have gone by me so fast that I still think of the 90s as recent history. And yet so much happened in the naughties.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 03:19:25 PM »
His own website isn't informative enough about his past, but his wiki entry lists his books.  The 1993 book on public education was his first, apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Nikiforuk

ETA: his website does have good links on the oil sands, including the Kairos report "Pumped up" on how Canada subsidizes oil at the expense of green energy.

http://www.andrewnikiforuk.com/Dirty_Oil_PDFs/PumpedUp.pdf
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:26:00 PM by Holly Stick »

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »
If memory serves, back when he was here he was doing a lot on education, but that is a long time ago -- mid-90s?

It's funny -- the last decade seems to have gone by me so fast that I still think of the 90s as recent history. And yet so much happened in the naughties.

Ha, that's how I see it, too. Except that the 90s passed without my having noticed a whole lot, mostly because I was getting my degree. Just for starters, I deliberately tuned out the entire Clinton scandal and the political culture around it, and the Balkan wars were just a tragic and incomprehensible backdrop.

During the naughties, my family's political/economic viewpoints have radicalised in different directions to the point where I've realised that none of us even get anything resembling the same basic information anymore.

I remember reading Nikiforuk in the Globe; there was a time in the early naughties when the Globe had many very engaging writers with informative viewpoints, but many of them have drifted away. It was like the last gasp of a collectively engaging newspaper that had something to say to everyone. Since then, information has become increasingly fragmented and politicised.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 12:45:13 AM »
I've been listening and reading trying hard to understand Michael Montagne's Mathematically Perfected Economy.
In a nutshell, Mike Montagne interviewed by Max Igan, presents how he   developed this economic model in the late 1970's and early 80's.    Consulting with the Reagan administration and nearly every other US   president to date as well.  And apparently every other government in the   world, according to the interviews on youtube and presently working with Iceland.

Interestingly,   the Reagan administration, while impressed with Montagne's   presentation, wanted to know when the financial collapse would implode.

Montagne   predicted 2010 or soon thereafter. (Tellingly, the Reagan   administration did not want to know how to fix the problems, just when   the implosion would occur).

This is the 1st youtube of many, which is an interview with Max Igan and MM - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=menOXvoKw7U&feature=related
One can also listen to MM's own vids as well.

jrootham

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 01:47:09 AM »
I looked at the home page, I saw an Ayn Rand quote.  I read the blurb on the page about inevitability of collapse and noted he ignores bankruptcy.

My immediate conclusion, don't take this person seriously.

Bankruptcy is what keeps the magic of compound interest in check.  He's right about the power of money construction and compound interest, but normally the collapses come in small pieces.  The current problem is that a subset of the financial markets got designed to collapse all at once.  The people who did the designing sucked up the money on the way by.

PS

You can no more have mathematically perfect economics than you can have mathematically perfect weather.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:48:09 AM by jrootham »

Return To TAT