Author Topic: The Gulf oil spill  (Read 15057 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
The Gulf oil spill
« on: May 02, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »
If this duplicates anyone else's thread, please let me know.

This just isn't an area where I have much knowledge, but David Dayen's current post at FDL seemed a good general summary of how this disaster is unfolding.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Oh. Ahem. Where are my manners?

Here is a great post on the spill from Alison, with extra added politicky richness.

Croghan27

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 05:27:51 PM »
Quote from: skdadl;181805
If this duplicates anyone else's thread, please let me know.

This just isn't an area where I have much knowledge, but David Dayen's current post at FDL seemed a good general summary of how this disaster is unfolding.

Just to add a bit to it - BP is not the only owner - Anadarko, an American independent oil company owns part (25%) as does Mitsui, a Japanese company (10%).

NOAA's initial estimate is that 5000bpd is being gushed into the Gulf .. if it was 200,000 that would be one of the most productive wells in history.

While production continues from wells in the same area I wonder if fracturing, a means of enhancing well production, is included in the 'drilling ban'?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:17:42 PM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
Well, this is shaping up to be the biggest man-made environmental disaster of all time. It is, in fact, ecocide. I am hearing that BP could have prevented it with some $500K contraption which it didn't invest in because regulation was eased by our friend The Dick Cheney, during that secret meeting of Spring 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQq1RINZUnM&feature=related
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

saraline

• View Profile
    • http://newfeministmom.blogspot.com
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
I have a friend who lives in Alabama near the beach and she's absolutely livid about what this is going to do to the economy down there. So sad.
"Oh. My. God. I SO can\'t believe you just said that! I smoked like once for two years when I was like nine and I only drink to numb the pain in my worthless life so you\'re well out of order!"

-Vicky Pollard

deBeauxOs

The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
We have a post at DJ! with a link to these Boston Globe photographs that provide a visual history of la marée noire that will likely destroy the fragile estuary ecosystem of Louisiana and Alabama.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:50:30 AM »
I talked to an American today who said if they had let it burn it off at the start it would have helped - but I have no idea if she knew what she was talking about or how it would have helped.  But she seemed like an intelligent woman.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Croghan27

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 01:31:33 AM »
Quote from: Holly Stick;181823
I talked to an American today who said if they had let it burn it off at the start it would have helped - but I have no idea if she knew what she was talking about or how it would have helped. But she seemed like an intelligent woman.

Given (the now famous) wind patterns in that area - offshore north onto Louisiana, Mississippi parts of Texas and the Florida panhandle that would be trading air breathing beings for water breathing ones. The weather patterns come all the way up the Mississippi to Canada - so we could get some 'treats' for it too. :painkiller:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 01:58:05 AM »
from Foreign Policy magazine ...... this spill (gush) in the Caribbean has a long way to go to break any record .... here is a list of the worst 'spills' - the top being:

Date: Jan. 21, 1991

Amount: Between 160 million and 420 million gallons

How it happened: As Iraqi forces withdrew from their position in Kuwait, they sabotaged hundreds of wells, oil terminals, and tankers. All told, a minimum of 4 million barrels were poured into the Persian Gulf. Within a couple of years however, experts happily reported that the biggest oil spill in history had a surprisingly small environmental impact.

Despite the MOXNEWS hyperbole, I suspect the about sentence about the lasting effects will be true.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Quote from: Holly Stick;181823
I talked to an American today who said if they had let it burn it off at the start it would have helped - but I have no idea if she knew what she was talking about or how it would have helped. But she seemed like an intelligent woman.

Alison has provided an explanation over at A Creative Revolution:

...They should have rescued the workers and then let the fire burn itself out and swallowed that loss, he said. Everyone in the industry knows this : it was the weight and force of all the water they used to put out the initial fire that caused the platform to buckle and then sink, taking the lines down with it...

http://www.acreativerevolution.ca/node/2433#comments
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Boom Boom

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »
Just watched CBC Newsworld cover a pastor down south asking for divine intervention to drive the oilslick south of Louisiana. Then the CBC anchor came and said 'well, they may as well ask for divine intervention, nothing else seems to be working'.

Question: if "divine intervention" actually does move the slick south, doesn't it just become someone else's problem???

Croghan27

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »
Here is a little tid bit I picked up from the Houston Chronicle ...

DALLAS — Transocean Ltd., which owned the drilling rig that exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, eliminated bonuses for top executives last year over concerns about safety problems at the company.

The reason for this is that four workers were killed on Transocean off shore rigs last year. The spokesman for Transoceanic, after crowing that even if 11 were killed on Deep Horizon, "One-hundred and fifteen people got off this rig alive," Cantwell said. as if that made up for the deaths.

Cantwell said the four deaths in 2009 occurred on different rigs in four different countries. Reports on one death, in Azerbaijan, appeared in the media, but Cantwell declined to disclose other locations and whether any were in U.S. waters. None were related to drilling, he said.

The company had two workers killed in 2008 and none in 2007, Cantwell said.

I also see that Transoceanic stock is down ... .023%, while its' stock market value fell to $23.45 billion from $29.6 billion. Does that mean that some people are still investing them? :wacko:

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »
U.S. not accepting foreign help on oil spill
When State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley refused to tell reporters which countries have offered assistance to help respond to the BP oil spill, the State Department press corps was flabbergasted.

"As a policy matter, we're not going to identify those offers of assistance until we are able to see, you know, what we need, assess the ongoing situation. And as we accept those offers of assistance, we will inform you," Crowley said.
Late Wednesday evening, the State Department emailed reporters identifying the 13 entities that had offered the U.S. oil spill assistance.
"While there is no need right now that the U.S. cannot meet, the U.S. Coast Guard is assessing these offers of assistance to see if there will be something which we will need in the near future."

Via Lindsay Beyerstein.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
:rant:I follow a lot of US progressive types on twitter and I am shocked by their disinterest in this disaster. I think they are concerned with how it may make Obama look bad for being slow to react.

I hate partisan politics.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
You can certainly run into a lot of committed Obamites as well as Clintonistas online, and it's hard for a Canadian to cope with them because they're talking out of a kind of local siege mentality that we just can't share (thank god).

In my experience the Obamites are often lachrymose (Leave Barack alooooone!) and the Clintonistas are, um, very aggressive and only give you one chance, if that. And all of them are still blinded by American exceptionalism.

There are Americans who aren't like that. I like the people at EW's place because they are too committed to detective work (and come equipped with a variety of particular skill-sets) to put up with sheer histrionics for long. They just tend to freeze the noisy partisans out by ignoring them. I've seldom seen such discipline among an unmoderated crew of commenters, and I think that's because they usually have something to do. Read these files; explain this biotech to me or that law or this info-science puzzle, and they all just start chewing away. I don't have much to contribute except cheerleading from the sidelines and occasionally, as with Khadr, some local and historical fact, but they have been very nice to me and the other Canuck mascots. They remind me that there are wonderful Americans and we need to keep our analysis clear.

Return To TAT